Coventry City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Coventry pre match chat- DF press conference

Post by DDB220 »

Shacks has had an unlucky season injury wise, he started the season really well. Whether there is an underlying problem compounding his ability to get fit - who knows. The fact his contract runs out in the summer may have compelled him to bust a gut to impress in training, which may also have been a factor. Personally, I feel for the lad, his career at the club is likely to end when his contract expires. He showed so much promise when he broke into the squad.

If he moves on he may go on to fulfill that initial promise if he gets the right club and manager. I lament his stop start career with us rather than quickly wanting him consigned to the - needs to go list.
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

A couple of months ago Farke strongly indicated that the club would be looking after Shackleton due to him being such a committed, loyal and valuable squad member.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

If Gruev doesn't make the squad and with Shackleton out, it means the squad is one lighter than it was against Hull (one of which was Charlie Crew who played last night)
What's the betting we have two keepers on the bench?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Coventry City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Coventry City v Leeds United
Saturday 6th April@15:00 | Ricoh Arena

Leeds head down to the Ricoh Arena at the weekend, desperately hoping for three points, and a much better team performance.

Since coming back from International Duty, Leeds have have looked disjointed and unorganised; but with Easter now out of the way (rarely a favourable time for the Whites), they can hopefully rediscover their form.

The last time Leeds beat the Sky Blues (February 2011), David Somma scored the only goal of the match, completing the double having won a five goal thriller at the Ricoh Arena three months previously.

Since then, the two clubs have only met three times, including a 1-1 draw at Elland Road mid December, a game which Leeds failed to capitalise on, having peppered their goal mouth with twenty shots

Coventry's erratic form this year has seen them slip four points out of the play off zone to seventh place. They beat Leicester City 3-1 in January, but have since lost home games to Preston, and more recently (Monday) to Cardiff City.

Ilia Gruev has been rated doubtful, having injured his ankle on International Duty with Bulgaria. His presence was missed during the Watford and Hull games, especially with Glen Kamara being ill (and playing anyway).

Wilfred Gnonto (hamstring) and Connor Roberts (groin) are also nursing injuries picked up during the international break. Jamie Shackleton has also picked up a groin injury that will see him sidelined for several weeks.

Charlie Crew, who has made the bench in the last couple of games is also unlikely to make the trip to the West Midlands having limped off during the U18's 4-3 win against Millwall on Thursday evening.

Sam Byram and Joe Rodon are carrying knocks but both are expected to make the trip. Rodon has had pain killing injections over the last couple of games.
Pascal Struijk and Stuart Dallas have been ruled out for the rest of the season.

Japanese winger Sakamoto (back injury) and Jamie Allen (calf) are definitely out for Mark Robins side whilst Matty Godden (ankle) is doubtful.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Coventry City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Tough one to pick a starting 11 for, one assumes we'll stick with the usual and play without a DMF.... which is risky as we have wing backs

Paddy needs a performance, his running off the ball has been poor for a few games and he's losing possession way too much
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:35 am Tough one to pick a starting 11 for, one assumes we'll stick with the usual and play without a DMF.... which is risky as we have wing backs

Paddy needs a performance, his running off the ball has been poor for a few games and he's losing possession way too much
It will be interesting to see where Gray starts. He's so much better in midfield!!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:27 am It will be interesting to see where Gray starts. He's so much better in midfield!!!
But not a defensive mid... he's an 8. I don't think Kamara is a DMF at this level either.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:34 am But not a defensive mid... he's an 8. I don't think Kamara is a DMF at this level either.
If he's not a DMF, what is he? as he hardly possesses an attacking bone in his body, looks lost without Gruev, now IIia is more like DMF at this level.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:24 pm If he's not a DMF, what is he? as he hardly possesses an attacking bone in his body, looks lost without Gruev, now IIia is more like DMF at this level.
DMF has to be able, these days, to step in as a third CB or sweeper. Gruev/Ampadu are our DMF's, Struijk is also good there. CB's need to cover the wing back when they bomb forward so they go across and the DMF steps in. With no DMF we're going to leave a lot of space in the middle of our third of the park
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:30 pm DMF has to be able, these days, to step in as a third CB or sweeper. Gruev/Ampadu are our DMF's, Struijk is also good there. CB's need to cover the wing back when they bomb forward so they go across and the DMF steps in. With no DMF we're going to leave a lot of space in the middle of our third of the park
Totally agree :tup:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:30 pm DMF has to be able, these days, to step in as a third CB or sweeper. Gruev/Ampadu are our DMF's, Struijk is also good there. CB's need to cover the wing back when they bomb forward so they go across and the DMF steps in. With no DMF we're going to leave a lot of space in the middle of our third of the park
There was a period 2nd half v Watford when we went fully 3 at the back. After Ampadu in midfield hadn't gone well 1st half, they started the 2nd half with Rodon-Ampadu-Cooper as a back 3. It only lasted about 20 minutes until Cooper was subbed and we went back to a back 4. But the back 3 did seem to quieten down Watford for a while. With 3 behind him, Kamara looked comfortable in the DM role.

Not sure it will happen, but an option.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm going

Meslier
Byram
Firpo
Ampadu
Rodon
Cooper
James
Kamara
Joseph
Georginio
Summerville

as my preferred starting line up, give Gray a rest and solidify the defence.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:47 pm I'm going

Meslier
Byram
Firpo
Ampadu
Rodon
Cooper
James
Kamara
Joseph
Georginio
Summerville

I cant see Byram being able to play three in a row.

I half imagine that Farke plays Rutter in the middle with Piroe as 10 and Bamford as 9.

His big shovel feet would be good disruptors
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I was preparing for the game today. Just noticed we're playing Saturday. Threw me off. Thought we usually played Friday's
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Meslier
Byram
Firpo
Ampadu
Rodon
Cooper
James
Kamara
Joseph
Georginio
Summerville

are you playing Ampadu Rodon Cooper at as a back 3 ?
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Joseph needs to start with Bamford on the bench
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

pjm2019 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:22 pm are you playing Ampadu Rodon Cooper at as a back 3 ?
Sort of, Ampadu playing the DMF slotting in as the third CB
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Meslier
Byram
Firpo
Ampadu
Rodon
Cooper
James
Kamara
Joseph
Georginio
Summerville

I blummin' hope not!
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:52 pm I blummin' hope not!
Everyone enjoys fantasy football. Bamford will start and so will Gray. Where Gray starts depends on the fitness of Byram.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

DDB220 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:56 pm Everyone enjoys fantasy football. Bamford will start and so will Gray. Where Gray starts depends on the fitness of Byram.
:tup: