Heidi's Blog - Late Drama Sees Leeds Regain Second Spot

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Heidi's Blog - Late Drama Sees Leeds Regain Second Spot

Post by Lufcheidi »

Leeds United v Hull City | 1st April 2024 | Elland Road

Well Leeds United certainly know how to put us through the ringer don’t they? That was a tough game to win but as I said near the end, we had to keep fighting until the final whistle as you never know what happens. With fans screaming for Farke to change things and nothing happening, in the end though his late subs paid dividends, so he proved he knew what he was doing. At one point though it looked like Hull were going to get the winner so when the first sub was finally made, it was very welcome.

Before the game there was an emotional tribute for Chris and Kev with a minute’s applause as flags were held up in the South Stand. Play stopped on the 24th minute as the whole stadium rose as one, turning their backs on the game like our fans did when Leeds were made to play the game in Istanbul, despite their murders on the eve of our game there.

Leeds got off to a great start when Rutter made a great run in the middle of the pitch, passed to Summerville on his left whose cross ricocheted into the air. Byram coming in at the right-hand side jumped high to head the ball into the net giving us an early lead. When play restarted after the tribute to the lads, Hull came out the stronger and equalised after the ball came back to their player on the edge of the box. Sheer persistence saw him win the ball, get to the left of the box where their player in the middle waiting for the cross got to the ball first and looped it past Meslier into the net. That was a blow, but it had been coming especially as Hull got on top for a while. Leeds had numerous attempts at goal which came to nothing apart from a great save from their keeper from Rutter as we went in at the break on equal terms.

Hull carried on where they left off at the start of the second half as they attacked towards the south stand with their shot narrowly going past the post. They had a few chances as we were willing Farke to change things. With just under 20 minutes left, our first sub was made. Joseph was very unlucky not to get his second goal coming on as a sub as the ball hit the post and bounced away. Leeds had two shouts for a penalty waved away but after the third shout the penalty was given when Summerville was brought down at the edge of the box. Firpo picked the ball up as I was wondering who would take it. With Piroe only just coming onto the pitch he took the ball only for Summerville to come over and take it off him. Ampadu came over and agreed with that decision and Summerville duly scored to put us into the lead two minutes from the end of normal time.

As Farke had said previously, if someone had only just come onto the pitch then the next designated person would take the penalty which made sense. We weren’t finished there as we came out of defence with a quick break with Piroe sending the perfect ball through to James. He saw the keeper off his line and sent his shot from just past the halfway line into the back of the net to send everyone wild. What a goal, take a bow Dan James, that was brilliant! What a turnaround as the Leeds fans celebrated what turned out to be another three precious points.

For me, Hull had gone from strength to strength when fouls on Bamford when he was manhandled to the ground and a couple more fouls on our players were let go. When Firpo was booked for our first foul, there were definite inconsistencies with what was allowed to be played on from. That said, it did affect us for quite a while I think but you have to play to the referee’s whistle regardless even though it was frustrating to watch at times. I wasn’t nervous tonight until I was stood waiting to be interviewed on BBC Radio 5 Live before the game when my stomach started churning. By the way I am on in the morning around 7.20 am too. We are still in the thick of it so just keep going and getting those points please.

LUFC – Marching on Together!

Leeds won the game 3-1 with Byram (9), Summerville (penalty 88), James (90) scoring the goals.

Team: Meslier, Ampadu (Captain), Rodon, Gray, Kamara, Bamford, Rutter, Summerville, James, Firpo, Byram

Subs: Joseph for Bamford (72), Piroe for Kamara (84), Anthony for Summerville (90), Shackleton for Byram (90)

Unused Subs: Darlow, Cresswell, Cooper, Crew, Gelhardt

Attendance: 36,747 (2,900 Hull Fans)
Referee: Josh Smith
Booked: Firpo, Summerville