General Chat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: General Chat

Post by 1964white »

Wow, that takes me back in time, 14 years ago.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:13 pm I think MOT missed the point of general chat, it works magnificently elsewhere but the ethos didn't get over here.
4,700 pages over there in about three years? You're right, it doesn't work here though. The blueprint over there is the lack of agenda or interference.

Nice irony of history, 64 trying to manipulate this thread to make it more 'successful'.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:33 am Seems to me some folks can get ballistic over a colour change to a little bit of fabric,
and there are others who feels strongly about the addition of a couple of
words to the title of a topic.

In both cases the underlying feelings that have been generated is that things should be left
well alone and not interfered with.
Leaving side the false equivalence, how far back to you want to go?

Maybe the original patron saints of England, Edmund and Edward, should not have had their banners banned by the Protestants, who imposed the foreigner George in their stead. True English patriots would surely reject such a move.

Or maybe the cross of Christ should never have replaced the raven of Odin...

Or maybe it was a mistake coming down from the trees in the first place.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am 4,700 pages over there in about three years? You're right, it doesn't work here though. The blueprint over there is the lack of agenda or interference.

Nice irony of history, 64 trying to manipulate this thread to make it more 'successful'.
My intentions have always meant to be for the good of the MOT forum.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Don’t have time for other social media sites or Leeds forums. Enjoy this one & think the mods, administrators and everyone who takes the time to set up the Breakfast Debates, competitions, music threads, stats, match reports etc do a great job for very little or no thanks. What do the other Leeds forums have that this one doesn’t and what does this one have that the others don’t or is it just the same people rehashing the same stuff ?
Keeping The Faith
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

People work hard on this forum to make it what it is.

Think that needs remembering.

If certain people put less effort in it would be very noticeable and not for the better imo
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am My intentions have always meant to be for the good of the MOT forum.
I don't think anyone's doubting that. The best interests of the forum might be better served by listening to input from other members occasionally, though; otherwise it seems that 'best interests' and '64's opinion and preferences' always coincide.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm I don't think anyone's doubting that. The best interests of the forum might be better served by listening to input from other members occasionally, though; otherwise it seems that 'best interests' and '64's opinion and preferences' always coincide.
I do listen to everybody's views. I took your opinion on board, by abandoning all the Premier League club threads, which we trialled for a season.

I'm unsure where you are coming from with your comment, maybe as one of the moderators on here more often, I'm in the firing line to be shot at.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm People work hard on this forum to make it what it is.

If certain people put less effort in it would be very noticeable and not for the better imo
Indeed Cjay. :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm Don’t have time for other social media sites or Leeds forums. Enjoy this one & think the mods, administrators and everyone who takes the time to set up the Breakfast Debates, competitions, music threads, stats, match reports etc do a great job for very little or no thanks. What do the other Leeds forums have that this one doesn’t and what does this one have that the others don’t or is it just the same people rehashing the same stuff ?
Thanks Cussie, MOT is one of the milder, easy going Leeds forums without any shadow of doubt.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm People work hard on this forum to make it what it is.

They do

It does

It would
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm I do listen to everybody's views. I took your opinion on board, by abandoning all the Premier League club threads, which we trialled for a season.

I'm unsure where you are coming from with your comment, maybe as one of the moderators on here more often, I'm in the firing line to be shot at.
Making suggestions or comments is not having a shot at you, honestly. It does seem difficult to say things sometimes without getting a defensive reaction though. Maybe it's the way I put things... it's certainly not my intention to criticise you personally.
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm They do

It does

It would
Agree with all of the above, I think this forum is great 👍
Balanced and fair, please, please, please keep up the great work 🙏
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Sara wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am Leaving side the false equivalence, how far back to you want to go?

Maybe the original patron saints of England, Edmund and Edward, should not have had their banners banned by the Protestants, who imposed the foreigner George in their stead. True English patriots would surely reject such a move.

Or maybe the cross of Christ should never have replaced the raven of Odin...

Or maybe it was a mistake coming down from the trees in the first place.
I didn't know we we playing the logical fallacy game.

Well I will see your false equivalence and raise you an appeal to antiquity 😉🥰😘

I thought I was being gracious when I said that people who hold things precious and dear don't like those things tampered with.

In Finland they have a saying "The Finns only recently came out of the forest and at every opportunity they go back in", perhaps this is why they have been classified as the happiest people in the world for the seventh year in a row.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Sean_Nile wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am I didn't know we we playing the logical fallacy game.

I thought I was being gracious when I said that people who hold things precious and dear don't like those things tampered with.

In Finland they have a saying "The Finns only recently came out of the forest and at every opportunity they go back in", perhaps this is why they have been classified as the happiest people in the world for the seventh year in a row.
In my case, tamper resistance is an autistic trait rather than a matter of holding things precious. I chose to argue the point rather than play the 'disability card'.

The Finnish people are very wise. We would all do well to emulate them. Some of my best friends are trees, and I mean that quite literally.
Last edited by Sara on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am In my case, tamper resistance is an autistic trait rather than a matter of holding things precious. I chose to argue the point rather than play the 'disability card'.

The Finnish people are very wise. We would all do well to emulate them. Some of my best friends are trees, and I mean that literally.
Maybe that's the problem with Surrey ...To many friends
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am Maybe that's the problem with Surrey ...To many friends
It's a very green county from what I've seen.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am It's a very green county from what I've seen.
I think you once posted that you were very happy to have passed through it .... Soooo many trees, it can be enclosing at times and very menacing and stark in winter. I love it.

Shame about the numpties living in it.... well, most of them
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sean_Nile wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am I didn't know we we playing the logical fallacy game.

How is this decided?
Does it put pressure on people to be happy when they don’t want to be.
“Cheer up mate or we might lose our title”.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Aaaand it's raining again. The roads here have been flooded for the last month and all the flood plains of the Wey are underwater. Be amazed if the farmers are getting much planted