General Chat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: General Chat

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 am I didn't apportion blame one way or another. I just said it's usually 50/50 and even if one person is distracted the other should be able to avoid collision. Being on a phone isn't the only way to be distracted and unaware...

Person on phone walking into a blind person is the phone persons fault of course ...

You're missus tale seems to back up my side. She got through without making contact which means she was aware of her surroundings...
This is a Classic conversation on here. A tale of misunderstanding.
So I run a fair bit. It’s brilliant personally for my mental health. I prefer to be safe and not get run over but I find increasingly I am forced off the pavement because people walking 2 or 3 abreast refuse point blank to go single file or make room for me. Is that good manners? Forcing me to stop or take my chances in the road? I don’t think it is.
But I think we are sort of on different subjects here in a way.
The example from the supermarket was to show how unnecessarily aggressive people are. My Mrs just replied “get a life”. Fair play to her but I don’t bother these days, i’m just polite to everyone as the world is full of nutters
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 am This is a Classic conversation on here. A tale of misunderstanding.
So I run a fair bit. It’s brilliant personally for my mental health. I prefer to be safe and not get run over but I find increasingly I am forced off the pavement because people walking 2 or 3 abreast refuse point blank to go single file or make room for me. Is that good manners? Forcing me to stop or take my chances in the road? I don’t think it is.
The example from the supermarket was to show how unnecessarily aggressive people are. My Mrs just replied “get a life”. Fair play to her but I don’t bother these days, i’m just polite to everyone as the world is full of nutters
You can't slow down, run on the spot till they're past, cross the road, maybe? I'd . I'm not a runner, it always triggered my asthma, but if I'm on a pavement with a dog walker headed my way while walking quickly I'll either check the road behind to see if I have the ability to walk in the road or just stand to the side... while they pass, we exchange a good day/nice dog etc and move on with our lives.

I did get your point about the rudeness of others but that was a verbal rudeness and nothing to do with distraction which I believe was the original point? Kids on phones not looking where they're going. I pointed out you're missus didn't blithely push her way through but considerately maneuvered her way through.. I'd imagine with a polite "excuse me"

Yes people are rude but my point, that it's easy to avoid the distracted if you're not distracted yourself, still stands
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:36 am You can't slow down, run on the spot till they're past, cross the road, maybe? I'd . I'm not a runner, it always triggered my asthma, but if I'm on a pavement with a dog walker headed my way while walking quickly I'll either check the road behind to see if I have the ability to walk in the road or just stand to the side... while they pass, we exchange a good day/nice dog etc and move on with our lives.

I did get your point about the rudeness of others but that was a verbal rudeness and nothing to do with distraction which I believe was the original point? Kids on phones not looking where they're going. I pointed out you're missus didn't blithely push her way through but considerately maneuvered her way through.. I'd imagine with a polite "excuse me"

Yes people are rude but my point, that it's easy to avoid the distracted if you're not distracted yourself, still stands
Not sure about that. Different things altogether.
I do as you say, I check behind/in front and often just go in the road as it’s easier but these are people who have clearly looked up and just carry on their convo regardless.
You seem to place the emphasis on me and not them to change course or whatever. What about just normal human politeness.
Of course sometimes it’s a dog Walker or mobility scooter and I just happily avoid but I’m referring to a specific type. And believe me I see them a lot. It’s a quiet aggression. And it’s very common as per the supermarket example.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 am Not sure about that. Different things altogether.
I do as you say, I check behind/in front and often just go in the road as it’s easier but these are people who have clearly looked up and just carry on their convo regardless.
You seem to place the emphasis on me and not them to change course or whatever. What about just normal human politeness.
Of course sometimes it’s a dog Walker or mobility scooter and I just happily avoid but I’m referring to a specific type. And believe me I see them a lot. It’s a quiet aggression. And it’s very common as per the supermarket example.
The way the world is you're expecting to much. Just celebrate it when it happens and fire a few fucks when it goes the other way ... but someone has to make the adjustment. I'm ok if that's me..

Last word
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:53 am Don’t think Kev was serious 😁
I have to warn them when I’m running but they rarely look up so I end up in the road 🙄
I know he wasn't serious, Jay.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 am This is a Classic conversation on here. A tale of misunderstanding.
I'm the same mate, Jill has warned me not to be so courteous. :lol:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:06 am I'm the same mate, Jill has warned me not to be so courteous. :lol:
It’s very disarming to a person who rudely barges in to you if you say “oh I’m awfully sorry, was I in your way”.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 am Not sure about that. Different things altogether.
There are 1000's of selfish people in the cities & towns. Village life is much more sedate.

As for young people constantly on their phones, they need to curve their obsession & converse with folk face to face. School mums are some of the worst culprits.

When we are on our walks, we often say good morning to older people we don't know, a generational thing I suppose!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:18 am There are 1000's of selfish people in the cities & towns. Village life is much more sedate.

As for young people constantly on their phones, they need to curve their obsession & converse with folk face to face. School mums are some of the worst culprits.

When we are on our walks, we often say good morning to older people we don't know, a generational thing I suppose!
Yes. I think it’s generational because we didn't have phones back then. Cue Hector with a carrier pigeon joke or suchlike 😁
I think I read we are going to have a generation of people with slightly deformed necks. Sort of bent over.
So we are evolving as a race.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I wonder if we’ve made a mistake not letting window cleaners run the country.
I’ve just had a chat with one. He knows absolutely everything. But the windows are still dirty. I didn’t like to say.
hector

Post by hector »

Sara wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:53 pm A generalised statement that immigrants are dirty and a burden on the country is directed at anyone who is an immigrant to this country. That is, at the very least, going to create an unwelcoming tone on the forum for any fans whose roots are in other countries. If you think that is acceptable, then I strongly disagree with you.

As for reporting it rather than arguing it out, a) I was trying to avoid a slanging match on the forum, and b) it's a waste of time arguing with thick racist bigots. I'm not sure what purpose the moderating is supposed to serve if it isn't for dealing with issues like this.
Please enlighten me to whom you are refering
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Stayed out of this as it all got a bit uncomfortable imo.

If you want to be technical almost every single person in this country is probably descended from immigrants somewhere down the line as people have been coming and going from this small island for thousands of years.

So, this country is literally built on immigration

And as for posts I think if you make a post its ultimately yours to change or not as you see fit.

Shouldn't be interfered with by anyone else unless it's libellous.

But I've had my thread titles changed, it doesn't bother me at all and can see why it's done sometimes.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:31 pm Stayed out of this as it all got a bit uncomfortable imo.

If you want to be technical almost every single person in this country is probably descended from immigrants somewhere down the line as people have been coming and going from this small island for thousands of years.

And as for posts I think if you make a post its ultimately yours to change or not as you see fit.

But I've had my thread titles changed, it doesn't bother me at all and can see why it's done sometimes.

I can see all points of view discussed on here recently.
“About 950,000 years ago. A broad natural land bridge connects southeast Britain to mainland Europe. Footprints and stone tools at Happisburgh, Norfolk, were left behind by members of an unknown human species who crossed this bridge, becoming the first known Britons.”

Some of them fell off the bridge as they were looking at their axes whilst walking along.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:38 pm “About 950,000 years ago. A broad natural land bridge connects southeast Britain to mainland Europe. Footprints and stone tools at Happisburgh, Norfolk, were left behind by members of an unknown human species who crossed this bridge, becoming the first known Britons.”

Some of them fell off the bridge as they were looking at their axes whilst walking along.
Probably pushed off by runners not moving out of the way. 😬
Keeping The Faith
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm Probably pushed off by runners not moving out of the way. 😬
:) Yeah exactly. You could hack someone in the face back then if they got in your way. They were the days.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:18 am There are 1000's of selfish people in the cities & towns. Village life is much more sedate.

We live down a narrow country lane as you well know Leon. When I'm out walking I see women pushing a pushchair, dog on a lead, headphones in and looking at their phones with not a care in the world. We have cars speeding (20 mph speed limit). I fear for these folks kids and dogs because you sure wouldn't hear a speeding car with plugs stuck in your ears. And yes! The responsibility lies with the women to care and protect the children and animals they are possibly endangering due to their ignorance and selfishness.
Last edited by whiteswan on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:31 pm
Me neither. Me too.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm Probably pushed off by runners not moving out of the way. 😬
Or the bridge was knocked down by
Quinquireme of Nineveh from distant Ophir.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:40 pm We live down a narrow country lane as you well know Leon. When I'm out walking I see women pushing a pushchair, dog on a lead, headphones in and looking at their phones with not a care in the world. We have cars speeding (20 mph speed limit). I fear for these folks kids and dogs because you sure wouldn't hear a speeding car with plugs stuck in your ears. And yes! The responsibility lies with the women to care and protect the children and animals they are possibly endangering due to their ignorance and selfishness.
We live in a strange obsessive world, Swannie.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:31 pm Stayed out of this as it all got a bit uncomfortable imo.

I think MOT missed the point of general chat, it works magnificently elsewhere but the ethos didn't get over here. The really interesting thing is 64 and I. (There were a few others but probably gone from here now) came over from Waccoe after the great Music Discussion thread of 2012 "war". Nods and admin in their wisdom decided as the great Music Discussion thread was doing so well that it warranted a separate Music Discussion forum for all musical needs.

Now the MD thread was on a par with the Random Musings thread currently ruling the roost on waccoe, an eclectic and all encompassing thread that just moved so well without rancour or ire... A few of us, lead by 64, took on Admin and the mods demanding the return of the thread to GD... It went on for weeks and was very similar to Sara's wanting to keep the thread title sacrosanct except with 64 on the right side of the argument

The "lot of fuss over nothing" was liberally applied by the then waccoe mods ... Which just annoyed us further. The thread obviously died, a number of us came over completely (IIRC - GW, White Riot (the other one), Gessa, Becchio Bear, Barry Anorak and a couple of others) , I stayed 50/50, and the music forum nearly died a death because discussion was lost, all we got was list threads.

The other point is the Bridge disaster needed it's own thread for gravitas anyway. Which it didn't get in this thread

I'm happy for 64 to change the thread title of the album of the year polls as 1. Not my thread it's his IIRC and 2. Without the ability to Tag it's the best way to inform the board where we are in terms of when to vote/nominate and who's still has to go. I'd assume that's the same with any "interactive" thread like that