Retirement

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Retirement

Post by Sara »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm I can be utterly engaged in something as simple as a rock in the woods
I'm the same... seeing the universal in the particular. Today it was a few colourful rocks, and the way the water glistened on them, which kept me fascinated for an hour or so.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Sara wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:11 pm I'm the same... seeing the universal in the particular. Today it was a few colourful rocks, and the way the water glistened on them, which kept me fascinated for an hour or so.
Couldn't have said it better myself, Sara. Glad you were able to see some of the "universal in the particular" on your trip :)

For whatever reason, stone, rock, boulders, etc. have always been special to me. It's a love my wife and I share and is one of the reasons we moved to the Appalachian mountains. In fact, my MFA thesis was actually titled, Speaking in Stones. Moss, bubbling brooks, and trees are close seconds.
In Farke we trust...
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:19 am Couldn't have said it better myself, Sara. Glad you were able to see some of the "universal in the particular" on your trip :)

For whatever reason, stone, rock, boulders, etc. have always been special to me. It's a love my wife and I share and is one of the reasons we moved to the Appalachian mountains. In fact, my MFA thesis was actually titled, Speaking in Stones. Moss, bubbling brooks, and trees are close seconds.
I have another collection of beach stones to take home. Trees, water, stones, the wind in the grass... all have something to tell us.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Screenshot_20240319-183032_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

The simple fact is that over the last 60 years the earth’s population has increased to roughly 8 billion in 2023 and is forecast to keep increasing by roughly a billion every 12 years or so.

Without wishing to get political, or into a climate change debate surely this is all going to end in tears at some point given how as humans we’ve currently consuming and destroying so much of our planet’s resources and beauty.

Anyway enough doom and gloom, I’m going to look at the mud patch in the garden that sometimes masquerades as a lawn and find its inner beauty.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Great response from everyone to this thread. I’ve learned more about the posters on here in a week than I have since I joined. Lots of good advice on how to manage the transition from working to retiring and staying sane and healthy so time to take the plunge. Also good to see people connecting over different interests and hope this continues on here.
Keeping The Faith
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Post by Lufcheidi »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:03 pm Great response from everyone to this thread. I’ve learned more about the posters on here in a week than I have since I joined. Lots of good advice on how to manage the transition from working to retiring and staying sane and healthy so time to take the plunge. Also good to see people connecting over different interests and hope this continues on here.
Good luck and definitely make the most of things as you never know what is around the corner.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The human race - Masters of our own downfall.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

59. 15 years in the RAAF then another 10 in the defence industry. Since then been part owner of a small tender writing consultancy company with a couple of guys I joined the RAAF with. Planning to finish up in 18 months when our photo copier lease is up - can’t be arsed renewing it.
Looking forward to doing a loop of Australia, a few overseas trips (a match at Elland Road) then motorcycling, fishing and collecting old stuff. Like seeing old bands too (btw just saw ‘From the Jam’ last week - Bruce Foxton from The Jam still going).
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:44 am ...and to this day, still no idea what caused it, Swannie? Wow :shock: Talk about scary!

Definitely agree with this last bit. Good advice :tup:
Not really Ash. Its thought a physical trauma might have caused it. He did wrench his arm which caused him to almost pass out with the pain a few days before.....but really they have no idea. He's been diagnosed with 'Functional Neurological Disorder' which I think is an umbrella for something they can't get to the bottom of.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:27 pm Jesus H Christ Swannie that must have been scary for both of you.
I had no idea.
Glad to hear he made a recovery of sorts although not complete.
Very scary Chilli. But when it happened we just thought trapped nerve. We didn't think we'd still be living with the symptoms 2 years on.
Lee was discharged from hospital without a follow up or physio appt as well. Eventually we managed to get a physio appt but it was the wrong type of physiotherapist. We needed a neurological one so we had a home physio privately. We had to do some hard work to get a follow up consultant appt as well which we eventually did, when the FND 'diagnosis' was given to us.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

whiteswan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:44 pm Not really Ash. Its thought a physical trauma might have caused it. He did wrench his arm which caused him to almost pass out with the pain a few days before.....but really they have no idea. He's been diagnosed with 'Functional Neurological Disorder' which I think is an umbrella for something they can't get to the bottom of.
As if the physical aspect wasn't enough to deal with, Swannie, I can only imagine how much the "not knowing" must have weighed, and continues to weigh, on you both.

That does sound like a kind of "catch-all" classification. Not sure how it is there, but my own veterinarian and doctor both use the term "idiosyncratic" when they don't have a clear answer. Hate the word as it becomes more about symptom management than getting at the root cause. Sure hope he continues to do well and improve.
In Farke we trust...
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:22 pm As if the physical aspect wasn't enough to deal with, Swannie, I can only imagine how much the "not knowing" must have weighed, and continues to weigh, on you both.

That does sound like a kind of "catch-all" classification. Not sure how it is there, but my own veterinarian and doctor both use the term "idiosyncratic" when they don't have a clear answer. Hate the word as it becomes more about symptom management than getting at the root cause. Sure hope he continues to do well and improve.
Thanks Ash
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm You're welcome, OB. I appreciate you taking the time to look them over. I've always been overly fascinated by the "thingness of things"--in fact, it's probably the trait my wife finds both most-endearing and terrifying at the same time. I can be utterly engaged in something as simple as a rock in the woods but I unfortunately am also a a little too easily distracted when driving through the mountains on the parkway :lol:

I've written the odd short story or two, but poetry is definitely more my thing. However, fiction is my preference when reading. I'm glad you've got more time for your writing now, especially since you seem to get so much joy from it. There are some great places doing things with self-publishing now if you ever want to take the leap. Also, if ever care to share any of your work, I'm always more than happy to take a look.
Sorry for the delay in responding, Ash. I’ve been busy at home and totally ignored the forum for a good number of days. Your poetry, to me, (as a “bloke”, who doesn’t like poetry), paints a scene I can sit in, and ponder, and look around. Normally I rush reading poems, like it’s a chore, as if I’m being forced to read it, as I was at school.
I especially enjoyed the rural ones; the barbed wire particularly. I live in a farming area so this resonates with me. Thank you for sharing. Maybe one day, when I feel more in love with my own work, I’ll reciprocate.

Enough brown nosing.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Orange Box wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:35 am Sorry for the delay in responding, Ash. I’ve been busy at home and totally ignored the forum for a good number of days. Your poetry, to me, (as a “bloke”, who doesn’t like poetry), paints a scene I can sit in, and ponder, and look around. Normally I rush reading poems, like it’s a chore, as if I’m being forced to read it, as I was at school.
I especially enjoyed the rural ones; the barbed wire particularly. I live in a farming area so this resonates with me. Thank you for sharing. Maybe one day, when I feel more in love with my own work, I’ll reciprocate.

Enough brown nosing.
No need to apologize, OB--sometimes it's good to take a break :)

I appreciate you taking a look and letting me know what you think. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Anytime you'd like, I'm more than happy to return the favor.

Also, are you sure there's not a poet lurking inside of you? I couldn't have said this better myself: "...paints a scene I can sit it, and ponder, and look around." This is the kind of poetry I like to read and it's the same feel I go for in my own writing, which often comes from moments, real or imagined, that I've "sat" in myself.
In Farke we trust...
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Orange Box wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:35 am Sorry for the delay in responding, Ash. I’ve been busy at home and totally ignored the forum for a good number of days. Your poetry, to me, (as a “bloke”, who doesn’t like poetry), paints a scene I can sit in, and ponder, and look around. Normally I rush reading poems, like it’s a chore, as if I’m being forced to read it, as I was at school.

Enough brown nosing.
You’ve sold it OB, gonna have a read. I know absolutely nothing about poetry but always liked Yeats, something about The Stolen Child strikes a chord somewhere. The Waterboys did a version on The Fisherman’s Blues album with the speaking part done by Tomas Mac Eoin. One of my favourite Waterboys tracks and worth a listen.
Keeping The Faith
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:26 pm You’ve sold it OB, gonna have a read. I know absolutely nothing about poetry but always liked Yeats, something about The Stolen Child strikes a chord somewhere. The Waterboys did a version on The Fisherman’s Blues album with the speaking part done by Tomas Mac Eoin. One of my favourite Waterboys tracks and worth a listen.
Well then, that's me having to give OB a cut as my PR man--I'm afraid he'll be sorely disappointed with his share :lol:
In Farke we trust...
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:53 pm Well then, that's me having to give OB a cut as my PR man--I'm afraid he'll be sorely disappointed with his share :lol:
🤣 Do I become a shareholder by proxy ?
Keeping The Faith
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:57 pm 🤣 Do I become a shareholder by proxy ?
Of course! Let me see, if we calculate at say 7.5% multiply by...oh that's right, absolutely nothing--that should set you up for life :lol:

Poetry is definitely not where the big money is.
In Farke we trust...