Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston North End Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:57 pm Their former player Ray Lewis was involved in the murder of two men outside a nightclub in Atlanta while Lewis was still a player. He and a group of his friends surrounded two men with whom they had had an altercation inside the club and stabbed them to death. A witness, who later recanted, said Lewis wielded the knife. Lewis maintained he did not, but refused to talk with the police about who had, and none of his friends who were there cooperated with police, either. They hung an obstruction of justice charge on Lewis and let him off with time served while awaiting trial.

Lewis and his friends fled the scene of the murders and somehow neither the murder weapon nor the clothes Lewis was wearing were ever found, and, of course, nobody in Lewis' group can recall what happened to them.

Because Lewis was such a great player, and still in the middle of his career, the team and the league set about the business of rehabilitating his image and were pretty successful in doing so. They raised a statue to him outside the stadium and parade him in front of the fans at the start of every game like he's some sort of hero. I'm disgusted by it all.
I remember Ray Lewis, John, but I wasn't aware of this case. Doesn't exactly paint the Ravens and the NFL in a great light.

I watched the Aaron Hernandez documentary, and that was pretty shocking.

Also remember the domestic abuse cases involving Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson, which were all over the news at the time.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread - My detailed report on PNE's spoiling tactics

Post by Boo Radley »

Last edited by Boo Radley on Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread - My detailed report on PNE's spoiling tactics

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:55 pm The Archie shoulder barge was dangerous. If he goes over the boards he’s going to get hurt. Then the tosser is still gobbing off afterwards. Should’ve been a red.
Yep .. straight red for me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Boo Radley wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:38 pm [Tweet]https://twitter.com/JRCooper26/status/1 ... rJPpw&s=19[/Tweet]

Puts their thuggery in context - disgusting!
And that's just the ones they gave...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston North End Match Thread

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:03 am I see my new fav team the 49ers squeezed thru Paul, i'll watch the highlights later i only get interested at this time of year tbh.

What sort of money is it worth to the team winning the Awesomedish ?
Hey Kenny,

We will actually be on the opposite side of this one as I'm a Detroit Lions fan. But we will be the decided underdog in this game. I think the current spread is 49ers -6.5. And the over/under is 51 points.

I know squat about the betting game. So I won't be any use to you there. Good luck my friend!!

Paul
Football/Futbol/Soccer
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:41 pm Compared to what Sid ?
They're definitely a kicking side, sometimes you've got to get the best out of the shite you've got somehow/anyhow.
I post up comparisons later.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 pm That's it Leon.

The rough house stuff is tolerated more at this level. It's always gonna be the case that less talented players will resort to physicality to level the playing field.

I actually like a good, hard physical contest and as I said, I enjoyed that crunching tackle that Byram put in to set up a goal for us earlier in the season.

But there should be some parameter as to what's allowed and what isn't. When the ref showed an early yellow I had high hopes that he would protect our players, but he wasn't prepared to follow that with second yellows.

How our talented players like Gray, James, Rutter and Summerville have not picked up bad injuries is a miracle. Rodon has been battered from pillar to post, as he has pace and skill to bring the ball out.

You can see with the likes of Preston and plenty of others they are counting on the youth and inexperience of Rutter, Summerville, Gnonto and Gray to try and goad them into getting sent off.

It's typical rough house Millwall and Cardiff tactics from yesteryear, like Wimbledon used to use. As long as we're at this level it's gonna be like that, and these thug players know there's no VAR and that they'll be allowed to escape punishment while they're trashing the beautiful game.
If only the officials were tougher with these thugs, whose sole intention is to kick a more talented opposition in the air.

Fans don't want to pay good money to watch, which equates to Sunday park football.

Quality championship players have no protection in this league.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:04 pm A bit off piste, but it staggers me how many folk leave the ground before the end of the game. Yesterday, those same folks missed a fantastic end to the game and it wasn’t the first time.

I just don’t get it at all.
Four fans in front of me always leave around the 85th minute mark.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:34 am If only the officials were tougher with these thugs, whose sole intention is to kick a more talented opposition in the air.

Fans don't want to pay good money to watch, which equates to Sunday park football.

Quality championship players have no protection in this league.
What baffles me is that when they played football they looked a good side, so why not go down that route instead?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 am What baffles me is that when they played football they looked a good side, so why not go down that route instead?
Agree Finn.

Obviously, instructions from their coach as their indiscipline is appalling.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread

Post by Kennyb41 »

Amid the ecstasy of a late winner against Preston, Elland Road was also able to demonstrate it was simply just a game of football, and there are much more important things in life.

Sadly, winger Jaidon Anthony lost his mother Donna earlier in the week. As a mark of respect Leeds United players, along with those from his parent club Bournemouth, wore black arm-bands during their fixtures on Sunday afternoon.

Anthony, on a season-long loan in West Yorkshire, was named in the match day squad and went on to be an unused substitute. I certainly felt a huge tug on my heart strings each time the 24-year-old and his team-mates jogged along the touch line, where he received rapturous applause from the home fans and, despite having a snood pulled up to just below his eyes, it visibly meant a lot to him.

Afterwards, manager Daniel Farke said: "We are a family at Leeds United and when there are tough times we have to be there. Jaidon is a brilliant lad, a brilliant team-mate, and all our support, help and thoughts this week are there for him.

"We are happy that he was really willing to be back in training to help us, and also to attend today [against Preston] to help us achieve these three important points. All our thoughts and support are with him and his family."
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread

Post by Barlow Boy »

Must admit to getting a little tear in my eye when the applause rang out for him, must have been so nice knowing he had that support.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello