Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston North End Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:22 pm Ryan Lowe bitter

No pen apparently
To be fair, it was soft, arm was out there though and the ball hit it. But 2 reds would not have been over the top today. Very dirty team, the push out of play on Gray followed by a reaction as if it was Gray's fault as Gray tries to walk away was very nasty
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:46 pm Makes me laugh when some folk put Firpo ahead of James who once again was brilliant.
Could be that the bar has been let lower for Jr., especially as it relates to his work without the ball. I know I find myself cheering more than I probably should when he does good defensive work--work you would normally expect from a LB.
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:48 pm To be fair, it was soft, arm was out there though and the ball hit it. But 2 reds would not have been over the top today. Very dirty team, the push out of play on Gray followed by a reaction as if it was Gray's fault as Gray tries to walk away was very nasty
The shoulder into Gray once they were both clearly out and the shoulder that dropped Dan in the first half could have both easily seen red. Thought with the first, early yellow on PNE we might get a fair game.
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:50 pm Could be that the bar has been let lower for Jr., especially as it relates to his work without the ball. I know I find myself cheering more than I probably should when he does good defensive work--work you would normally expect from a LB.
And the bar set too high for Rutter.... I tend to not base things on where the bar should be only how they played on the day and Firpo was class, and a real threat. Think he set Paddy up twice only for Paddy to mis-control the ball... stunning cross for the goal, two key blocks, some good tackling and and read the game very well, excellent vision.. Kept us moving forward
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:55 pm And the bar set too high for Rutter.... I tend to not base things on where the bar should be only how they played on the day and Firpo was class, and a real threat. Think he set Paddy up twice only for Paddy to mis-control the ball... stunning cross for the goal, two key blocks, some good tackling and and read the game very well, excellent vision.. Kept us moving forward
Agreed. That's two great matches in a row for Firpo. So glad to see his defensive skill set improving--never doubted his work with the ball, but even that has improved as well.
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:54 pm The shoulder into Gray once they were both clearly out and the shoulder that dropped Dan in the first half could have both easily seen red. Thought with the first, early yellow on PNE we might get a fair game.
That's a big no no in American football, can get you thrown out of the game, and rightly. It should have been a red as it's dangerous play, think I must have missed the James one as I had some buffering issues
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:57 pm That's a big no no in American football, can get you thrown out of the game, and rightly. It should have been a red as it's dangerous play, think I must have missed the James one as I had some buffering issues
Exactly! Could have caused injury with a "dead ball" situation, which is the worst time and way to have any player get hurt. To add insult to injury, to then time waste afterwords by acting like he didn't know what he was doing when he gave Archie the shove.

Dan's foul was like more American football--the PNE player dropped his shoulder and laid Dan out, but at least it was on the pitch.
In Farke we trust...
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Highlights
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

4 assists in 4 games for Firpo I think
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:23 pm 4 assists in 4 games for Firpo I think
Better than Johnson from WHU, Byram is as well. Why don't we just keep him?
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Farke post match
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:23 pm 4 assists in 4 games for Firpo I think
He's played 4 games in a row? We might be on to something.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Broad Ford wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:22 pm Deserved win although they left it late.

Preston players were taking it in turn to scythe down Leeds forwards and the game threatened to boil over in the aftermath. Thankfully the ref awarded Preston what they deserved, yellow cards.

Professionalism and patience paid off and Leeds move to within 4 points of 2nd place.

Well done lads.
Regarding the scything down of our players - as soon as they pick up the yellows, replace them with up to five subs and repeat.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Is it the case that Gnonto is injured again.... wink wink
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:53 pm Regarding the scything down of our players - as soon as they pick up the yellows, replace them with up to five subs and repeat.
That's exactly what they did.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:57 pm That's a big no no in American football, can get you thrown out of the game, and rightly. It should have been a red as it's dangerous play, think I must have missed the James one as I had some buffering issues
I was looking straight on from the South Stand, the James foul was just like the body slams that you’d see on the wrestling in the 70’s 😁
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Kurt Zouma booted by Brewster at Blades, crowd sing "that's how your cat feels".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:56 pm That's exactly what they did.
That’s the downside to multiple subs if you choose the dark arts rather than football
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Assuming, hopefully, that Leicester beat Ipswich tomorrow night, then we have a really great opportunity to apply pressure to Ipswich and the Saints.

If we beat Norwich at home on Wednesday, and then win at Bristol City a week on Friday, we will be two points ahead of them in second.

Ipswich and Southampton both have to visit WBA in the near future too.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:59 pm I was looking straight on from the South Stand, the James foul was just like the body slams that you’d see on the wrestling in the 70’s 😁
Cheers ..