Peterborough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Farke makes 6 changes to face The Posh

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Peterborough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Farke makes 6 changes to face The Posh

Post by John in Louisiana »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:16 pm In the past it has impacted on league form for a game or three after. A blip wouldn't be welcome for those of us that still think Auto is on
But I think Farke was right to risk the blip, and I think auto is still on.

The point is, I wouldn't have criticized Farke for playing this lineup had we not won.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Peterborough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Farke makes 6 changes to face The Posh

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:19 pm But I think Farke was right to risk the blip, and I think auto is still on.

The point is, I wouldn't have criticized Farke for playing this lineup had we not won.
I might have as I think the Cup is worth playing for or it's a farce and we might as well get rid.. I hate to lose any game.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Is that why you stick to your favourite formula and try and get 22 squad players singing from the same 4-2-3-1 sheet, so players can come in and know their role and how the 'team' plays.

Just a thought.

22 weeks, inherited a wafer thin squad, and players he knew virtually feck all about.

Get him sacked.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:19 pm But I think Farke was right to risk the blip, and I think auto is still on.

And neither would i John.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Got up early (6 am) to watch this one with a couldn't care much attitude. Most of 1st half we didn't get much going and contemplated going back to bed. But we controlled it a lot better 2nd half.

Definitely in favour of Farke resting players. Although disappointed not to see Cresswell or Gelhardt (latter supposedly injured. Major gripes over Cresswell but that's a discussion for elsewhere. Ayling coming on as sub means he'll probably stick around now Spence has gone.

Some other useful outcomes. Bamford scoring a cracker and haveing another good game all round. Gnonto played well and put in some good defencive teamwork too. Shackleton got good minutes. More minutes for Firpo. Useful game for Ampadu at the back. Archie looked decent in midfield.

On the other hand I was disappointed that Gruev, Anthony, and Piroe didn't offer more against lesser opposition.

But 3-0 away in the fa cup. In that pink kit. Give us another away game. We don't care.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Scoobychief wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:43 pm Why do you need to spit on your hands when you're wearing gloves?
If it is the keeper then it is to make them stick to the ball better. You spit on it to give tem a bit more grip as if too much water got on them then they become slippy. If normal gloves then god knows.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:20 pm Meslier is only 6 months older than Klaesson, I've never thought there was much between them and Meslier had very little experience when he made his debut for us
Messlier had had a full season playing in the French 2nd division. Not exactly sure how good the standard is but would think higher then U23/U21
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think it definitely helped us that Peterborough wanted to play good football and play out from the back. Tactics like that suit us better than teams simply knocking it long against us - which is normally the case in FA Cup ties against lower teams. It also meant that we were able to nick the ball off them in dangerous areas early on and even though we didn't score from them it meant we settled into the game rather than simply being clattered every time we touched the ball.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:20 pm Meslier is only 6 months older than Klaesson, I've never thought there was much between them and Meslier had very little experience when he made his debut for us
The fact that Meslier was trusted at such young ae just says that he was a much more talented keeper. Prone to mistakes as any young keeper might be. But in terms of class and ability he's way ahead of our other keepers.

Klaessen has done well when called upon. But he hasn't been subjected to the barrage that Meslier has in any of his games. Each time he's played, it's been against lesser opposition. Wolves only had 10 men when he came on. I'm not denying that KK might become a good keeper. But I tsill think he's got some work to do. Pretty sure you watched U21's last season. I wasn't too impressed with him when I saw him.

For me, Meslier is our #1 by a long way.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:14 pm Messlier had had a full season playing in the French 2nd division. Not exactly sure how good the standard is but would think higher then U23/U21
As I said in my previous comment. The fact that Meslier got the number 1 jersey at such a young age just speaks of the talent that was obvious to everyone.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Clitheroe White wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:17 pm And when did you retire from “a full working day”?

On a serious note a weeks rest should be enough.
Let's talk about sex now
My wife used to use me as a timer for a soft boiled egg.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:14 pm Messlier had had a full season playing in the French 2nd division. Not exactly sure how good the standard is but would think higher then U23/U21
And Klaesson had two seasons playing for Vålerenga in Norway's top division ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Ethan interview
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:44 pm Let's talk about sex now
My wife used to use me as a timer for a soft boiled egg.
:) :)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:48 pm And Klaesson had two seasons playing for Vålerenga in Norway's top division ...
I do not understand the Mes debate. Is it the case that Klass has clearly been overlooked as the number 1 keeper by every coach/manager we have had at the club since he arrived. Not only are they all wrong on this matter, but they are also wrong on choosing Mes as the number 1.

3 top flight games in the English leagues THREE !!?? and some are suggesting he is installed as the number 1 keeper. He might be the next big thing, but you cannot change the keeper on the basis of three performances unless he has been outstanding. I cannot recall him dealing with anything of note tbh.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:51 pm Please.

I was one of those who was afraid of this match, but I've never taken shots at Farke, nor will I. He's been great for us.

He didn't play our best eleven and with good reason. A Cup run will be great if we can do it, but it can't some at the expense of possible promotion. Had we lost today and still rested Summerville and Rutter I'd have been disappointed but not bereft and I would have understood Farke's thinking entirely.
I wasn’t directing it at you specifically John.

I just peeved by the damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t crowd.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:05 pm

I just peeved by the damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t crowd.
That won't change I'm afraid. Some folk just love to moan, moan, moan whatever.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:02 pm I do not understand the Mes debate. Is it the case that Klass has clearly been overlooked as the number 1 keeper by every coach/manager we have had at the club since he arrived. Not only are they all wrong on this matter, but they are also wrong on choosing Mes as the number 1.

3 top flight games in the English leagues THREE !!?? and some are suggesting he is installed as the number 1 keeper. He might be the next big thing, but you cannot change the keeper on the basis of three performances unless he has been outstanding. I cannot recall him dealing with anything of note tbh.
Not suggesting anything, my in match comment was tongue in cheek. But all my other points are valid.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:45 am Not suggesting anything, my in match comment was tongue in cheek. But all my other points are valid.
We have got decent depth in the GK dept. We have 3 very young (career wise) assets.