West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - My minute by minute summary of the game!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Struijk Out, Byram, Cooper & Gruev In

Post by 60sUnited »

Clitheroe White wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:15 pm Talk of dismissing farke is not the answer.

A reset is needed but a change of manager isnt. For what’s it’s worth I think we’ve stopped play as a team at the top of the pitch. Too many players thinking they can beat the team in their own ( Summerville and Gnonto being major culprits ). The fast slick 1-2s have stopped and they were what was hurting teams.

Back to team play and putting personal egos in their proverbial pockets.
Agree with that !
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds have lost six away games, that's more than Leicester, Saints & Ipswich put together.

Shameful Leeds :x
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

SG90 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:34 pm He won't. He hasn't all season.
Our home record says different.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:36 pm THIS!! Absolutely this!
I wanted Corberan or Vierra. Farke was choice three of those in play. I do think Farke is a good coach, plus he has a good eye for talent. It's his tactical nous letting him down at the moment and that's affecting confidence. 2/3 wins on the bounce and things will change. But we're allowing teams to defend us too easily atm.. he needs a plan B
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:35 pm This lot are enough to send you drink, mate.
Indeed, not big, nor clever, but I felt like I needed to have a few to numb the pain, odd you can sort of see whats happening but thise in charge can't !
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

Piroe is practically playing as a mf ,not his best position
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Dropping points and places should be a sign that Leeds need reinforcements in January. I couldn't imagine finishing the season below 6th, after watching some excellent attacking play earlier in the season. Did Leeds over achieve?

Carlos Corboran adds another clean sheet to the Baggies portfolio and Leeds need to be more clinical in the final third, although how the ref missed the strong arm on Gnonto is questionable.

Birmingham next and we need to put them to the sword and bag all three points. Then open the cheque book.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:34 pm Cooper & Rodon our best two players by a country mile.
Someone else mentioned it. Cooper is good enough for this division defensively. But Strujik is so much better at making things happen going forward. We missed that today.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

SG90 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:16 pm And every team will pack the box, so wouldn't be shocked if we have a terrible second half of the season
This is my fear. We're going to face the same block and counter anti-football strategy all year until we figure out how to beat it. Wonder what the odds are on that one. Kenny, there's some easy money for you!
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:36 pm THIS!! Absolutely this! And I'd be on the phone with him if I were the 49ers. Getting outclassed here. Becoming more apparent to me that he is a DOF type, not quite a manager.
Just mentioned that he'd done a lot of things right. Admittedly a lot of those rights are in the DOF role.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:19 pm Thought Gruev and Gnonto did OK

Gruev looks comfortable. But Kamara and Gray offer more. Problem we have in midfield is that three senior choices all offer solidity but not creativity.

Gnonto was decent. A bit more threatening. Think he's just lacking in game time. Would have left him on for Piroe who was anonymus again.

Cooper was OK. But Strujik offers a lot more
My thoughts exactly, AJS. The Gnonto situation is Farke's own doing as he's not been proactive in his squad rotation or substitutions. Gnonto would have probably had 100-180 more minutes game time by this game, which would've likely yielded a more match sharp player.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:41 pm Someone else mentioned it. Cooper is good enough for this division defensively. But Strujik is so much better at making things happen going forward. We missed that today.
That was me, personally I didn't think Coop had a very good game, ok without being influential, thought hs captaincy a bit weak too.. Rodon much better

We missed Struijk badly. he drives us forward and he captains very well
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:24 pm Definitely.
Terrible terrible ref. Was an easy one too.
He was five yards from the incident with no player obscuring his view, How could he get something so wrong?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:31 pm Piroe would come off for Gnonto. Piroe is, frankly, worthless. Swansea fleeced us on that one.
He isnt, he's a goalscorer played out of position by a clueless manager
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Orange Box wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:22 pm What channel were you watching AJ? I was on Sky and on my game Gruev passed backwards all night long and Gnonto was determined to drive down his transfer fee.

I agree re cooper though. Him and Georgi should be allowed to kick the rest of them black and blue.
Think it's all relative, Orange. While Gnonto wasn't great, he offered much more than Piroe...who I'm now convinced is a complete waste. Gruev wasn't great (and tired late), but I thought he was a bit better than Ampadu, who was on fumes by the 30th minute, imho. Kamara needed to come on for Ampadu to add a bit more composure and creativity on the ball and better link up play with the attack. Another personnel decision that Farke got wrong.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:41 pm This is my fear. We're going to face the same block and counter anti-football strategy all year until we figure out how to beat it. Wonder what the odds are on that one. Kenny, there's some easy money for you!
Problem is we play ideally for any team wanting to do it.

We are so slow in possession

No urgency in our passing, no well rehearsed quick passing triangles to try and pull apart a deep block defence.

It's all very predictable and easy and then congested in the middle which again is partly our doing (Summerville, Rutter and Piroe can hold hands at times)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:39 pm Leeds have lost six away games, that's more than Leicester, Saints & Ipswich put together.

Shameful Leeds :x
It’s actually 6-10 in our favour, but I take your point, we have to improve our away form.
Last edited by Barlow Boy on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

marie67 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:25 pm Rutter and Gruev (apart from the appalling free kick) did well.
Other than that all below expectations.
The Bamford headless chicken routine as a sub is not working.
Our two CB's did well against a big side.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:42 pm Just mentioned that he'd done a lot of things right. Admittedly a lot of those rights are in the DOF role.
I made exactly that point in another thread. I reckon DF is DOF material rather than manager.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 pm My thoughts exactly, AJS. The Gnonto situation is Farke's own doing as he's not been proactive in his squad rotation or substitutions. Gnonto would have probably had 100-180 more minutes game time by this game, which would've likely yielded a more match sharp player.
Gnonto had a decent game, playing out of position for me. So much better on the left. Still looks a little short on match sharpness. Gruev defensively good, probably preventing two goals, but didn't add much going forward and he's a bit one footed.. Is Geo our only two footed player?

Oh Gnonto too