Leeds Utd v Coventry City Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Coventry City Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Ipswich will come to play, not ruin... should be a good game but I think we're better
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

LoinerBoy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:15 am With great respect, not really a "Leeds fan's myth" I think. I too have never seen Piroe play for Swansea, but two things to perhaps consider:

TransferMarket.com has the following bio:

Main position:
Centre-Forward

Other position:
Right Winger
Attacking Midfield

Check out YouTube's "Piroe's 30 goals for Swansea" performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCRh2OPMW7A - about 9.5 minutes

In most (90%?) he seems to score from Rutter's usual, central position on goal or (much less so) from the right of goal

Just saying what I see, but there again, you may be right that it's just a myth ;-)
8 goals from outside the box.
2 or 3 penalties.
Piroe was playing behind their No.9 Obafemi.
Hardly a congested box in sight.

What is noticeable, Piroe looked sharper for the Swans, hitting his shots with more accuracy & velocity, as opposed to the powder-puff shooting I've witnessed from him more often than not, this season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:33 am Ipswich will come to play, not ruin... should be a good game but I think we're better
We'll see!

Defend like we have done recently & they'll capitalize on our weaknesses.

We have two full-backs playing out of their natural position.

With Kamara & Ampadu, we play with six defenders.

Even so, we leak goals with two defensive midfielders at one end, & they can't score at the other end.

We are desperate for a box to box midfielder.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:31 am Did Swansea have a striker or a forward alongside Piroe?
Obafemi was their No.9.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:29 am But when Geo did yesterday there were complaints he did... It's really not we're trying to walk the ball in, it's we can't find space for the shot. Gray, Ampadu, Piroe, Geo, Cry even James have all shot from distance recently. And to be fair we're fairly high up the leading scorer lists. If our top scorer had 4/5 goals there maybe a case for we're trying to hard too score but Summerville 11, Piroe 8, James 7 suggest that's not the case
Feeble shooting & not hitting the target enough is killing us.

Also, we concede soft goals when the opposition has only one or two shots in a game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I like this couple.

Matt & Sophie give their championship predictions every week & often predict Leeds to win, as both did on Friday.

Anyway, they enjoyed their day at ER yesterday.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:38 am 8 goals from outside the box.
2 or 3 penalties.

What is noticeable, Piroe looked sharper for the Swans, hitting his shots with more accuracy & velocity, as opposed to the powder-puff shooting I've witnessed from him more often than not, this season.
He actually did play up front more last season as the main striker in a front 3.

He is probably a second striker more than a 9, a 9.5 if you like a bit like Rodrigo.

What he isn't is what Farke is trying to use him as, his most frequent position yesterday was just left of the centre circle.

He has had fewer shots per game from inside the box than both his seasons at Swansea and has scored fewer goals per 90 minutes as well from inside the box.

Whether he is a proper 9, a 9.5, he isn't this playmaker thing Farke is trying to use him as and it shows in his stats.

Farke has got this wrong and its a problem for Piroe and for the team

It's also become a myth that Piroe wants to play in the position and that he did under Swansea, he didn't

“It’s been difficult to try and accommodate him and Michael [Obafemi]. We’ve found a way to play him in the position he has been playing in. He’s so good at it. He scored so many goals last season. He’s now playing as a number nine where he wants to play. Russell Martin last season.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Plus Rutter is no number 9 he lacks the composure to be great finisher ,witness him getting tangled up from James's cross yesterday. What he is good at is causing issue's for opposition defences when running with the ball from deeper. Swap Spence and Gray at least only one is out position and you gain the pace of Spence where it is useful.

As for Ipswich they will come to play as I said yesterday, so the banks of 4 won't be an issue to break down.
LoinerBoy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LoinerBoy »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:38 am 8 goals from outside the box.
2 or 3 penalties.

Absolutely true '64. But I've checked that video again. Piroe scored freely mostly from a central-forward position. Mostly their No.9 Obafemi was running in from behind Piroe or, if in front of him, then off to the side. It is undeniable IMO that Piroe plays a lot deeper for us than he did for Swansea, frequently getting caught up in the midfield melee that our opponents present to us in a packed defence. It's almost like he can't get into forward positions because "that's where Rutter plays". Anyway, nuff from me for 'bout Piroe for now.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:29 am But when Geo did yesterday there were complaints he did... It's really not we're trying to walk the ball in, it's we can't find space for the shot. Gray, Ampadu, Piroe, Geo, Cry even James have all shot from distance recently. And to be fair we're fairly high up the leading scorer lists. If our top scorer had 4/5 goals there maybe a case for we're trying to hard too score but Summerville 11, Piroe 8, James 7 suggest that's not the case
There were a few moaning near me too.

But for me, when we are struggling try to make something happen. Have a dig, you may get a kind deflection past the keeper, force a rebound for a tap in etc.

Just do something a bit different.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Where are the highlights for this game, did DJ miss a sitter with his empty head ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Reet, he did miss a sitter bang on 1m59secs, if you freeze it, you'll see 9 Leeds players in the frame, you'll also see 9 Coventry.

It was a good game of 'football' from us, freezeframe it all the way thru the highlights and check out individually where each of our players are, it's interesting the positions each are taking up, some days like Huddersfield all your good play finds the back of the net 4 times, on this occasion it didn't, it's football fer Christs sake, and why i bang on about luck, look at the Coventry defender banging the ground in delight in got a touch on the ball which prevented DJ from scoring.

Fine margins, we are not playing badly ffs, and we WILL be prone to concede the breakaway goal coz so many players will be backtracking, but wtf do you want ? None of our fckers attacking ???

Heidi, if you read this, do you remember it now/ It was right at the end?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Coventry foul count

2m James (Bidwell)
3m Summerville (Thomas)
4m Gray (Dasilva)
28m Summerville (Sheaf) :booked:
31m Kamara (?????)
43m Rutter (Eccles)
48m Summerville (Eccles) :booked:
51m Gray (Bidwell)
53m Gray off the pitch due to injury through foul play allowed back on 45 seconds (not 30 seconds).
54m Rutter (Sacamoto)
57m Kamara (Sacamoto)
63m Struijk (Simms) :booked:
82m Collins (keeper) booked for time-wasting :booked: & then continued to run down the clock.
88m Gnonto (Palmer)
88m Gnonto (Palmer) :booked:
90m Gnonto (Palmer) again....three times in two minutes.
98m Palmer or Thomas in fracas with Summerville after the final whistle was blown.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:46 am Coventry foul count

2m James (Bidwell)
3m Summerville (Thomas)
4m Gray (Dasilva)
28m Summerville (Sheaf) :booked:
31m Kamara (?????)
43m Rutter (Eccles)
48m Summerville (Eccles) :booked:
51m Gray (Bidwell)
53m Gray off the pitch due to injury through foul play allowed back on 45 seconds (not 30 seconds).
54m Rutter (Sacamoto)
57m Kamara (Sacamoto)
63m Struijk (Simms) :booked:
82m Collins (keeper) booked for time-wasting :booked: & then continued to run down the clock.
88m Gnonto (Palmer)
88m Gnonto (Palmer) :booked:
90m Gnonto (Palmer) again....three times in two minutes.
98m Palmer or Thomas in fracas with Summerville after the final whistle was blown.
17 opportunities to raid their goal, gone. IIRC some of those cancelled out our fast break, it's cheating and the ref helped ... and people don't think refs can affect games
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm also not sure why an outfield player cab get a second yellow for time wasting and be sent off but a keeper can't
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

James really has to finish there. Archie along with Struijk have to deal with that, it's standard stuff. Looking ahead, let's have an orthodox rb in place and Piroe as the all out striker. He's being wasted at the moment and most probably impacting his confidence.