Stoke City v Leeds Utd - Post match discussion

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Gruev starts as Farke makes three changes

Post by SG90 »

Lessons to learn:
- Summerville must start
- Piroe must stay on if we need a goal
- Sitting back doesn't work
- No Bamfraud on the pitch, unless we're comfortably ahead
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Gruev starts as Farke makes three changes

Post by whiteinfrance »

Surely we beat Uddersfield
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:12 pm Bamford is my main issue from tonight. Really shouldn’t be taking a pen. I presume barring the changes it would be Piroe. Would like to have seen him take one for future reference. Or Georgi with a panenka maybe.
Edit. Bamford got the pen I suppose but still.
georgino's finishing is p*ss poor - and his last pen for us was worse than paddy's tonight
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Very little change in the Ipswich starting lineup from game to game. Some say they’ll fade but I don’t think they will. They win tight games too.
Think that’s the first top 6 side Stoke have beaten. Us 😤
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

SG90 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 pm Lessons to learn:
- Summerville must start
This :clap:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Boo Radley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:28 pm …… and Summerville didn’t put his hand up for the first five takers. Piroe being off the pitch took the obvious choice. Personally, I’d have given it to Meslier before Bamford.
Well, Meslier plays as a third CB, we pass the ball to him more times than to our forwards. Why not give it to Mes?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 pm georgino's finishing is p*ss poor - and his last pen for us was worse than paddy's tonight
Piroe and Jimmy are our only real clinical finishers. Piroe would be my first choice, but with him off it had to be Jimmy.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

danhirons wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 pm georgino's finishing is p*ss poor - and his last pen for us was worse than paddy's tonight
He’s only taken 1 though. In a straight pick v PB I’ll have Georgi
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:32 pm Well, Meslier plays as a third CB, we pass the ball to him more times than to our forwards. Why not give it to Mes?
Why not! Chilavert was great at pens :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 pm Lessons to learn:
- Summerville must start
Spot on SG,

Can you have a word in Farke's ears? I reckon he was on drugs today. :(
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Boo Radley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:28 pm …… and Summerville didn’t put his hand up for the first five takers. Piroe being off the pitch took the obvious choice. Personally, I’d have given it to Meslier before Bamford.
I was going to mention that on Summerville. Apparently he went 9th because he had an injury - but still took a class penalty.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

The trouble with Bamford is his temperament

Not enough fire in his belly and, as I've always said, he thinks too slowly in front of goal

He is not a natural striker and tends to overthink it
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 pm Have to agree with you there, Geronimo.

I said to my Mrs after the penalty miss, Stoke's tails will go up now & score an untidy goal to win it.

As soon as that corner was awarded, I knew that was the moment that things would get worse.

We deserved the defeat, hopefully we'll learn lessons from what was a disgraceful display.

We'll beat the terriers on Saturday.
I don't know why we struggle on corners so much. Teams always crowd Meslier. We can't deal withy it. Opposition players are so much quicker in the box than any of ours. It's been that way for a few years. I don't get how we always look so susceptible.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Taking off Piroe when we brought on Jimmy and DJ was a major f**k up on Farke's part
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:31 pm Very little change in the Ipswich starting lineup from game to game. Some say they’ll fade but I don’t think they will. They win tight games too.
Think that’s the first top 6 side Stoke have beaten. Us 😤
Stoke beat Sunderland who were 6th at the time, now slipped down to 10th position.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:35 pm The trouble with Bamford is his temperament

Not enough fire in his belly and, as I've always said, he thinks too slowly in front of goal

He is not a natural striker and tends to overthink it
Agreed, which is exactly why he shouldn't be taking penalty kicks.
In Farke we trust...
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Bamford taking a penalty. Almost like a cruel experiment. Like the golfer who shakes over a 3 foot putt. It’s a mental battle he can’t seem to win.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

It's like a curse our inability to defend corners

Has been for many a year

Maybe Revie's fault ?
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Farke post match said according to stats we deserved to win or draw. Did he watch the 1st half? We could have been 2 down.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:37 pm Stoke beat Sunderland who were 6th at the time, now slipped down to 10th position.
That’s ok then 😁