The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th October) Leeds alerted to availability of former top target

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th October) Leeds alerted to availability of former top target

Post by DDB220 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:50 am I suppose thats the big question. Can we replace them with better models without spending too much?
It depends to some degree on how big DF wants the squad to be.

I doubt any players on the list would be starters if we got promoted. But there are a few who would be useful squad additions.

We would potentially have Wober returning, which would add to the LCB position. Byram if he can remain fit for the best part of this season would likely be a shoe in for another year.

Ayling, Bate and Poveda are the most likely to leave. A decision on Dallas will be highly dependant on if he can get back to pre injury levels.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th October) Leeds alerted to availability of former top target

Post by DDB220 »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:05 am I thought Coop got injured before he could sign? He should have taken the money, he must have known his time as a LUFC starter was ending
So showing loyalty and commitment to the club means little to you. Ironically when the news emerged lots of posters were questioning his loyalty. His injury only kept him out for a few weeks - to suggest this scuppered the deal is purely speculation.

His time as a starter is declining but he will have a big part to play this season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd keep Bate for sure ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It would be absolute madness if we simply keep the old guard for loyalty only reasons, thats one of the reasons we came back down again, most of those players simply aren't good enough.
Enough with the sentimental stuff, if we want to succeed, we have to be more ruthless.
This season they'll have a part to play no doubt, next season we must cut loose.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:03 am Wagner was a Marsch target wasn't he? And he was a bloody awful procurer of talent, or more accurately a bloody awful user of talent..
Anything Marsch related is completely tainted. Let's never go there again!
marie67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by marie67 »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:51 am I'd keep Bate for sure ...
Yep i like Bate but i'm not sure DF feels the same as i don't think he's even got on from the bench this season.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

If the club allow Liam to have a testimonial game a great opponent team would be the Uruguay team managed by Marcelo it would be a sell out.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Leeds alerted to availability of former top target.

Maybe he is worth a bash at £10kpw. That's the sum total of my knowledge on the player.

Stick or twist.

I would say twist. I guess a lot of it will depend on how much money is floating around and what league we are in. Promotion and its a defo twist for me, Championship and they may stick around but i'm guessing it will be a serious pay-cut for the senior members of the squad.

After watching a bit of the under 23's i'm not sure Bate will cut it. Maybe he can morph into a Barry Bannan type player but i don't think he will have the legs for an 8 at 5ft.6.

Cooper turned down £4m Saudi offer.

I think its only a matter of time before he cashes in and who can blame him. I think hindsight will be kinder to Liam and the job he's done at Leeds.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Afternoon Folks

Renewals for Bate and Shacks. Byram will be around for as long as Farke wants him too.

Coops to get his testimonial and then can go on a free afterwards.
Dallas, has the makings of a fine ambassador for Leeds, I would love the club to find a role for him somewhere.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:50 am I thought Jenkins went permanently? Is it only a loan then?
I thought so, but I could be wrong
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:25 am So showing loyalty and commitment to the club means little to you. Ironically when the news emerged lots of posters were questioning his loyalty. His injury only kept him out for a few weeks - to suggest this scuppered the deal is purely speculation.

His time as a starter is declining but he will have a big part to play this season.
Its a catch 22 situation.

You can reward loyalty, but does that mean lack of ambition?
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:00 pm Its a catch 22 situation.

You can reward loyalty, but does that mean lack of ambition?
I am not of the opinion that he should be here next season, I am merely commenting on the countless posts that were calling out all those who left in the summer. The reason we were relegated and they have done a runner, no fight, spineless traitors etc etc.

Cooper is the only player who had a better offer than he currently has. 40k a week tax free - worth about 55k a week for two years. His best years are behind him we all know that. But what does his conduct and integrity say to the rest of the squad in terms of leadership and setting the standard of what loyalty and commitment means.

But hey ho - apparently that isn’t worth much to some fans.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:19 pm Leeds alerted to availability of former top target.

Maybe he is worth a bash at £10kpw. That's the sum total of my knowledge on the player.

Stick or twist.

I would say twist. I guess a lot of it will depend on how much money is floating around and what league we are in. Promotion and its a defo twist for me, Championship and they may stick around but i'm guessing it will be a serious pay-cut for the senior members of the squad.

After watching a bit of the under 23's i'm not sure Bate will cut it. Maybe he can morph into a Barry Bannan type player but i don't think he will have the legs for an 8 at 5ft.6.

Cooper turned down £4m Saudi offer.

I think its only a matter of time before he cashes in and who can blame him. I think hindsight will be kinder to Liam and the job he's done at Leeds.
Bate will not sign another contract without some form of progression stipulated. He has barely had any mins in the first team and has only sat on the bench when we are down to the bare bones. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had tried to sell him in the summer to get some money in.
He is a long way off the first team and if we go up that distance will only get bigger.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:25 am So showing loyalty and commitment to the club means little to you. Ironically when the news emerged lots of posters were questioning his loyalty. His injury only kept him out for a few weeks - to suggest this scuppered the deal is purely speculation.

Not what i said ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

A lot has changed since then and tbo I can't see DF going after Kai Wagner. Watching how DF operates its about getting the best possible
players for the money and improving on what we have. Another factor is how players will be able to adapt to the Championship, there is no use in buying an unknown and hoping he will fit the bill when the stakes for Leeds are very high, and imo only the proven best will do.
DF knows exactly what he wants, the days of the multiple punts on the Yank talent that deserts the ship at the first sign of trouble are long gone. Its a pass for me on Kai, we can do better.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

The players that are now coming to the end of their deals have served the club well. No player can be awarded an extension unless
the player is going to meet the standards set by DF. If we have cover in the positions their role may be 3rd choice and if this is something they are willing to accept, well both parties get what they want. As a fan its always sad to see players leave after giving so much but the manager has to be in total control, and do what is best for Leeds United.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I could see a coaching role for Dallas, at a push Ayling, but certainly not Cooper, imagine him telling Cresswell etc how to defend free kicks "right Charlie, grab the nearest shirt you can and hold on for dear life"
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:59 pm I could see a coaching role for Dallas, at a push Ayling, but certainly not Cooper, imagine him telling Cresswell etc how to defend free kicks "right Charlie, grab the nearest shirt you can and hold on for dear life"
:rol: :rol: :rol:
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Totally agree. The learning curve for talent coming from MLS is too steep and long.
We can find players who can hit the ground running (so to speak), such as Ampadu, Rodon and Byrum.
I watch quite a bit of MLS and quite enjoy it, but it just isn't there yet - some real talent of course, but very different culture and style to UK and European football.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:46 pm Afternoon Folks

Renewals for Bate and Shacks. Byram will be around for as long as Farke wants him too.

Coops to get his testimonial and then can go on a free afterwards.
Dallas, has the makings of a fine ambassador for Leeds, I would love the club to find a role for him somewhere.
Agree Irish - and Luke has the key role of teaching the flop to the U21s