The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th March) Why aren't the players fighting for their lives

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th March) Why aren't the players fighting for their lives

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 7th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Why aren't he players fighting for their lives

Believe it or not, but Gracia's side are a point worse off than they were at this very point last season, though their goal difference is not as bad (-28pts 21/22, as apposed to -11 this campaign). The Whites went on to pick up another four wins and three draws from their remaining 13 games to reach safety on the final day of the season (38pts).

Looking back at the final dozen or so games from last season, there seemed to be more self belief in the players, even though (on paper at least) we have a much stronger squad today, than we did twelve months ago.

In Leeds present predicament, I expect the players to be fighting for their lives, and I'm just not seeing it! It's almost as if they are willing to settle for defeat, as long as its a narrow defeat. To make matters worse, all the sides in and around Leeds are showing plenty of guile. Everton beat Arsenal, Southampton have picked up six points against Arsenal and Leicester City in recent weeks, and even plucky Bournemouth came close to recording a huge upset at the Emirates last weekend.

Fortune favours the brave, but apparently not in West Yorkshire. Are they scared of taking risks in case of a backlash from fans if it goes wrong?

Newcastle lining up Koch Summer bid

Robin Koch is reportedly assessing his options after being linked to a Summer Move to St James Park. The 26yo centre back is desperate to get noticed by German national coach Hansi Flick, after being overlooked for the World Cup last year, and a move to Newcastle Utd, and European football would give his chances not harm at all.

Koch has 63 appearances to his name at Elland Road, since his £13m transfer from SC Freiburg. He has been one of the few positives in the last few seasons, and Leeds will be desperate to keep him.

How many points for survival

Leeds survived on the final day of last season by the skin of their teeth. An unlikely 3 points at Brentford, coupled with Newcastle turning over Burnley meant Leeds would survive to fight another season. They invested heavily in the Summer, and again in the New Year, but to no avail. They need wins, and seven points from twelve games just doesn't cut it in the top flight.

In the 2004/05 season, West Brom survived the drop with 34 points. Even today, that's the lowest benchmark in Premier League history for a club finishing their campaign in 17th position. Leeds are still twelve points shy of this minimum target, but with other teams at the wrong end of the table picking up point, what should be a realistic target to avoid the drop?

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th March) Why aren't he players fighting for their lives

Post by Chilli D »

If we had a fully fit Rodrigo and Sinisterra available from now until the end of the season I would fancy our chances of avoiding relegation. Sinisterra may be back soon but if Rodrigo isn't back until early April it may be too late.
Personally I would play Joseph, who is actually a number 9, rather than Rutter at the moment.

Robin Koch won't be the only one considering his future if we go down. It's likely we will lose half the current squad.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th March) Why aren't he players fighting for their lives

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:16 am If we had a fully fit Rodrigo and Sinisterra available from now until the end of the season I would fancy our chances of avoiding relegation. Sinisterra may be back soon but if Rodrigo isn't back until early April it may be too late.
Personally I would play Joseph, who is actually a number 9, rather than Rutter at the moment.

Robin Koch won't be the only one considering his future if we go down. It's likely we will lose half the current squad.
Indeed, Joseph is a No.9, personally don't think he is ready or good enough yet, Chilli.

Just as is the case with Aaronson, I feel Mateo needs to build up his body weight. Gnonto who is six inches shorter, but the weight difference between the pair is not that much more.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th March) Why aren't the players fighting for their lives

Post by Irish Ian »

Interesting that Dyche went with two false 9s on Sunday.
Yielded two goals as we know.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th March) Why aren't the players fighting for their lives

Post by GreennWhite »

Our goal difference is much better than last season, which of course is good considering the position we are in. But dont forget we still have to go to City and Arsenal which could still put a very big dent in it especially if they have a good day.
I still believe we will have to end up needing other teams to do us a favour for us to stay up. Hope I'm wrong though.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I really doubt that the players aren't trying.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:53 am Indeed, Joseph is a No.9, personally don't think he is ready or good enough yet, Chilli.

Just as is the case with Aaronson, I feel Mateo needs to build up his body weight. Gnonto who is six inches shorter, but the weight difference between the pair is not that much more.
Well he was only on for about 15 minutes at Chelsea but put himself about and got a shot in on goal, albeit an easy save for Kepa.
Perhaps Perkins then, who looks physically stronger and looked very good last night?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

GreennWhite wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:38 am Our goal difference is much better than last season, which of course is good considering the position we are in. But dont forget we still have to go to City and Arsenal which could still put a very big dent in it especially if they have a good day.
I still believe we will have to end up needing other teams to do us a favour for us to stay up. Hope I'm wrong though.
Those two games are a major concern.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:41 pm Well he was only on for about 15 minutes at Chelsea but put himself about and got a shot in on goal, albeit an easy save for Kepa.
Perhaps Perkins then, who looks physically stronger and looked very good last night?
Not saying you are wrong, Chilli.

Joseph or Perkins maybe the answer given time, we haven't got experienced options with Rodrigo & Bamford injured.

If we have to continue playing children, then so be it :tup:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:21 pm I really doubt that the players aren't trying.
I'm not saying they're not trying, but they are not playing like their lives depend on it.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

I haven't seen much evidence of the players not giving their all.

Myself on the other hand, I've pretty much accepted that we're going down.

This has been worse than the 2003/04 season.

:x
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Not all the players are giving their all though are they, unless that is as much as harrison and bamford can give that is, we've seen both give more , but, lets be honest, neither are consistent, and neither ultimately good enough.
I'll no doubt get some stick for the above, but in all honesty I don't give a shite, I single those 2 out every week for good reason, very good reason as it happens, IF, bamford is injured like many make an excuse for, then WHY is he being picked, we HAVE others available in Josep, Perkins and Gnonto, we've farmed out Gelhardt already, harrison is well..........why bother.
NO MORE EXCUSES for underperforming players, we have back up, use them, we all appreciate experience counts in life yet when needs must, at least the kids will give their all, plus IF we go down, they'll be the lifeline of this club, not players who are not pulling their weight.

Koch won't be the only one ready to jump ship if we get relegated, hopefully we stay up and his partnership continues to thrive with Wober.

How many points to stay up !! As many as we can muster, and the sooner the better, every game's a tough one, are city and arsenal any tougher than say wolves or west ham ?
Important thing is to beat those around us, Brighton may come on saturday expecting an easy ride, I say, expect the unexpected.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

are the players not giving their all well they know that their wages are safe and come the end of the season their agents will be pushing for transfer,s for them if relegation happens.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:21 pm I really doubt that the players aren't trying.
This. Players are of course playing for their "lives"...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I don’t see a lack of effort from the players at all and they appear to care, at least for me anyway. I do think they have started to lack belief in our ability to win games and you can see this on the pitch, indecisive actions all over the place, especially upfront with final balls badly hit and shots if they dare take any hopelessly off target or straight at the keeper.

As with all teams in a rut it feels like the world is against us, loose balls seem to always fall to the opposition, decisions don’t go our way and teams very rarely make mistakes or have a bad game against us.

We probably should have gone down last year, Burnley have had a hell of a season, their fans will have had much more fun this year and they are coming back up revitalised - whilst we struggle on, would next season be much different if we manage to hang on.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I think the players might resent the notion suggestion that they're not giving everything they have. Of course they are.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:22 pm
This has been worse than the 2003/04 season.
A horrible experience!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

WhiteRose wrote:I don’t see a lack of effort from the players at all and they appear to care, at least for me anyway. I do think they have started to lack belief in our ability to win games and you can see this on the pitch, indecisive actions all over the place, especially upfront with final balls badly hit and shots if they dare take any hopelessly off target or straight at the keeper.

As with all teams in a rut it feels like the world is against us, loose balls seem to always fall to the opposition, decisions don’t go our way and teams very rarely make mistakes or have a bad game against us.

We probably should have gone down last year, Burnley have had a hell of a season, their fans will have had much more fun this year and they are coming back up revitalised - whilst we struggle on, would next season be much different if we manage to hang on.
No

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Nah 2003/4 was a lot worse...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

HOW MANY POINTS
As usual the math is pretty simple. Get to 38 points and safety is virtually assured. You just need to average a point per game. In the last TEN seasons 38 points would keep you up. In 8 of those seasons 36 points would be enough.

PLAYERS EFFORT
I think the players are giving everything they have. The problem is we don't have enough Premier League quality players. As I look at our starting eleven Rodrigo, Adams, McKennie, Koch, Worber and Meslier are Premier League level players. Gnonto, Summerville, Harrison, Aaronson, Bamford, Ayling, and Firpo are Championship level players. Or better suited for other leagues in Europe.

In the case of Gnonto, Summerville, and Aaronson I think they can develop into Premier League players. They are still young. But they are clearly NOT cutting it this season.
Football/Futbol/Soccer