Birmingham v Leeds : Team/Reports/Ratings...

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Birmingham v Leeds : Team/Reports/Ratings...

Post by weasel »

I think people are being a bit hard on Belluci for the goal. The goal had a lot of luck about it as their winger was simply drilling a cross towards the far post, he was not looking to play in their striker. The ball seemed to hit their striker and fell nicely into his path, good control or luck - I would suggest luck or he would be playing at a higher level if he could do that consistently.

Likewise for the mis-header. The ball travelled an incredibly long way and as a defender in that position you are backpedalling and hoping your keeper is coming to claim the ball. As such you are not set to attack the ball and are almost jumping backwards. All he could do was to try to get something on the ball because you do not want the ball bouncing there. The fact that he was untroubled from future long kicks suggests that it is not an area of concern - even if he is less likely to have been subject to keepers kicking long during his time playing in Italy.

I would not rush to judge any of our players yet as they are still finding their feet. Some might impress initially then fade quickly whereas others might take time to settle, look useless and then turn into superstars.

As for the match I felt we were poor in the first half and perhaps lucky to only be 1-0 down. Second half and we had more purpose, more belief and could have gone on to win it, after we got the equaliser I fancied us to get the win. A glimpse perhaps of the potential in the squad and hopefully as the team gels we can do that on a more consistent basis. We still need to create more chances and I am looking forward to seeing what Montenegro and Adryan can do.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

GW - I seem to remember a certain Allan Clarke getting stick on the terraces in his first few games, for the amount of offsides given against him.
And that was before the rule was changed.
Aunty Nookie will learn - and who knows - next FA Cup Final - "Antenucci....ONE NIL" :-D Give him and the other newbies a chance mate. They did more than ok today, in a rookie team :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Watch the highlights and look out for a Birmingham Steward trying to get a hug from Mowatt after he scores.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25vxb ... lufc_sport
ldj90
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @LiamJarman1

Post by ldj90 »

weasel wrote:I think people are being a bit hard on Belluci for the goal. The goal had a lot of luck about it as their winger was simply drilling a cross towards the far post, he was not looking to play in their striker. The ball seemed to hit their striker and fell nicely into his path, good control or luck - I would suggest luck or he would be playing at a higher level if he could do that consistently.
Disagree with this. Although there was a small element of 'luck' it would have been almost entirely unlikely to have happened if Bellusci was actually goal side of the striker. I don't think he even had a clue he was there. I've not been impressed so far, red card in his first game and then a pretty poor performance yesterday. Certainly not an improvement on Lees as of yet but I'm hopeful that will change.

Enjoyed the brummy steward looking for some Mowatt-love though haha :lol:
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @foxobilly

Post by CptCrash »

If Bellusci was half as good a player as he thinks he is he would be one hell of a player. A liability so far.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Thought mowatt was the pick of the midfield under the systmn we are playing I don't think we will see the best of Sharpe he needs to be in the box.Thought it was a poor game from two poor teams each winning one half of the game thought a draw was a fair result.
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @foxobilly

Post by CptCrash »

ironically after he was taken off (Sharp) the game changed into one that would have suited him
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

I think Bellusci will come good he's brave and strong and he is calm when on the ball and can pass..... Watch this space lol

Also we have to remember we was only playing Birmingham who are shite. So lets not get carried away because next week some people (not pointing fingers) could be saying..... what a load of rubbish and we will be lucky to stay up with this team. :lol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

ldsutd wrote:I think Bellusci will come good he's brave and strong and he is calm when on the ball and can pass..... Watch this space lol

Also we have to remember we was only playing Birmingham who are shite. So lets not get carried away because next week some people (not pointing fingers) could be saying..... what a load of rubbish and we will be lucky to stay up with this team. :lol:
I like Bellusci too :tup:
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

ldsutd wrote:I think Bellusci will come good he's brave and strong and he is calm when on the ball and can pass..... Watch this space lol

He may be brave and strong, he may be calm, maybe he can pass.

But (on the evidence so far) he can't tackle, doesn't mark his man in the box, gets underneath headers he ought to clear and his positioning is awful.

He is an Italian second division journeyman, lauded as being an improvement apparently on the basis of his nationality, certainly not on his ability.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

1964white wrote:
I like Bellusci too :tup:
From the little I have seen of him he looks brave but also like an accident waiting to happen as well but that goes for quite a lot of players these days
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Don't rush to judge him as the key to any defender is being in a defence that knows each other's game and gels as a unit. He also will need a few games to get up to full match speed. He may turn out not to be great but no need to write him off just yet - just look at Woodgate's debut for Real Madrid.
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Birmingham v Leeds : Team/Reports/Ratings...

Post by Dr.Leeds »

1964white wrote: Pearce - the usual JP style of defending
Ball! Ball! BALL! BALL!!!!!!
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

weasel wrote:Don't rush to judge him as the key to any defender is being in a defence that knows each other's game and gels as a unit. He also will need a few games to get up to full match speed. He may turn out not to be great but no need to write him off just yet - just look at Woodgate's debut for Real Madrid.

Or indeed Roque Junior
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Or Rio Ferdinand's debut at Leicester in 2000
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:Or Rio Ferdinand's debut at Leicester in 2000

part of a three man central defence...first time we played it and IIRC the last, I remember it well
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

faaip wrote:

part of a three man central defence...first time we played it and IIRC the last, I remember it well
What a ridiculous thing that was - introducing a new player AND a new formation on the same day.

O'Leary needed his head testing for that
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:

I was there, couldn't believe my eyes thinking what have we done paying nearly £20m for this lad from West Ham, he soon proved to be immense for us once he got that nightmare performance out of the way
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote:
What a ridiculous thing that was - introducing a new player AND a new formation on the same day.

O'Leary needed his head testing for that
Senseless !
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Post by hibbi86 »

I whole heartedly disagree with the notion that he can actually pass a ball from his display against birmingham where 4 or 5 long punts drifted straight out of play when the easier pass to one of the midfielder was on.
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!