I've lost faith in Marcelo Bielsa and it makes me sad

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: I've lost faith in Marcelo Bielsa and it makes me sad

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:08 am Can't add much to the OP. Makes me sad too that I've lost faith in the man and system that delivered us (me anyway) the best football I've seen in the 45 years I've been a Leeds fan. I will be forever grateful for what he did for the club and the city, something no-one else came close to doing in the dark years following our collapse. But he is too loyal to some players and too wedded to a system that will only work, with tweaks, at the top level with top level players. Something we don't have and can't afford. I don't see the point in sacking him now, he is the only one likely to get anything out of this squad, but the Bielsa era should be over at season end and a new approach taken. No matter what league we are in.

For clarity, I hold Radz, Kinnear, Orta etc equally to blame for the mess we are in. They have been incredibly naive around how competitive the Prem is, even when you take out the top 4/6. Standing still and resting on our laurels after last season has cost us dearly. You can argue about hindsight, but we all knew we needed to replace Pablo and have back up/competition for Bamford and KP. We hoped what we had would be sufficient cover, but that has patently not been the case.

As someone who has always looked for the positives in the club I love, my resignation to the fact the we will likely be back in the Championship next season is the saddest thing for me. During this era, I always had faith we would get something from a game, no matter the opposition. But no more, we looked like a team doomed to the drop. It sucks
Another major factor has been the recruitment - Rodrigo, Harrison, Llorente Costa and Firpo hardly look like clever signings now.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

CarelessAir wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:16 am Bielsa is dead to me now...
:lol: :lol:

On such a gloomy morning, between football and world news, at least this raised a smile!
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

6-0 is always hard to swallow but surely from the results Arsenal home City away showed that we need strengthening in January. Was it not obviously that another striker and experienced centre back were crucial back in the summer? You only need to look at our bench over the season to see how little options we have when things are going wrong.
Whose to blame……are we right to lose faith in our manager? No because we all embraced Bielsa’s philosophy and just because things are going wrong it’s no reason to suddenly turn. If you look at Bielsas’ track record it’s all about football not about trophies.
With a near full strength side and couple of injuries we would be clear of relegation but it’s not happened. Would I prefer to be in Burnley’s position with a -8 goal difference? No because we are Leeds and we are not hurting as individuals we are hurting as players, management, fans…. as a club, and we are in it together and turning on each other is not the way to go.On Saturday at 12:30 we go again as a club. The players we will give their all and Elland Road will sing as one. Football is all about emotion, every emotion, so when we MOT it’s through thick and thin and as one. So just embrace it for what it is.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:53 am On recent performances I wouldn't be shocked if we don't win another game all season.
We are a shambles. No leaders on the pitch and the players simply aren't good enough any more to play the way Bielsa wants.
If he is too idealistic to realise that we must change our approach then I'm afraid we're done.
We've won five games all season, battered on at least five occasions, so I can't see us winning four games on our run-in, especially with the pressure that comes with a team low on confidence & naturally demoralised.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:08 am Can't add much to the OP. Makes me sad too that I've lost faith in the man and system that delivered us (me anyway) the best football I've seen in the 45 years I've been a Leeds fan. I will be forever grateful for what he did for the club and the city, something no-one else came close to doing in the dark years following our collapse. But he is too loyal to some players and too wedded to a system that will only work, with tweaks, at the top level with top level players. Something we don't have and can't afford. I don't see the point in sacking him now, he is the only one likely to get anything out of this squad, but the Bielsa era should be over at season end and a new approach taken. No matter what league we are in.

For clarity, I hold Radz, Kinnear, Orta etc equally to blame for the mess we are in. They have been incredibly naive around how competitive the Prem is, even when you take out the top 4/6. Standing still and resting on our laurels after last season has cost us dearly. You can argue about hindsight, but we all knew we needed to replace Pablo and have back up/competition for Bamford and KP. We hoped what we had would be sufficient cover, but that has patently not been the case.

As someone who has always looked for the positives in the club I love, my resignation to the fact the we will likely be back in the Championship next season is the saddest thing for me. During this era, I always had faith we would get something from a game, no matter the opposition. But no more, we looked like a team doomed to the drop. It sucks
Tats exactly how I feel Nick.

I woke up this morning thinking that the players have given up, or have given up on Bielsa, just not sure which
1964white

Post by 1964white »

It says it all Nick when the likes of you & I have lost faith in our management, I feel so sad :cry:
Berts chippy

Post by Berts chippy »

Diabolical recruitment
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:39 am We've won five games all season, battered on at least five occasions, so I can't see us winning four games on our run-in, especially with the pressure that comes with a team low on confidence & naturally demoralised.
The worst thing is the hope. It kills you.
Hope that after years in the wilderness we are back where we belong and can kick on and establish ourselves in the PL.
Hope after coming back from 2 down against the scum we could actually get something from the game.
Bielsa has given us Hope but now he sits on his bucket whilst our season and club slides back into obscurity.
It makes me sad and angry that we are starting to become an embarrassment and he seems too
idealistic to do anything about it.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Great Post :clap:

Bizarrely if you go back to the start of the season there were people on here who were happy with our squad and said we didn't need backups for Bamford etc.
Wow!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:52 am The worst thing is the hope. It kills you.
Hope that after years in the wilderness we are back where we belong and can kick on and establish ourselves in the PL.
Hope after coming back from 2 down against the scum we could actually get something from the game.
Bielsa has given us Hope but now he sits on his bucket whilst our season and club slides back into obscurity.
It makes me sad and angry that we are starting to become an embarrassment and he seems too
idealistic to do anything about it.
Resigned myself to watching championship football next season.

At least we have a suitable defence for that league.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:59 am Great Post :clap:

Bizarrely if you go back to the start of the season there were people on here who were happy with our squad and said we didn't need backups for Bamford etc.
Wow!
There was one person on here who said after the 9th place finish that the club is on the verge of an era which would eventually eclipse the Revie era...Of course, when I questioned this thinking the poster told me that I was being negative.

It now turns out that I was just being realistic, but what people who call you ' negative ' mean is that they don't like you having a different opinion to their own.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

On Motleedsnews ;

“Let’s talk about Leeds: pathetic,” O’Hara said on talkSPORT on Wednesday night [23 February].

Cundy then replied to say: “Liverpool were brilliant and they are a brilliant side, but they didn’t have to be.

“Is it ten goals in two games they’ve conceded? They’re going to go down.

“Right now, they’re going down. Their goal difference is the second-worst in the league. They are bang in it.”

Cundy added: “They play only one way and Bielsa will not change his style of football. I think it’s naive, at best, to go away to Liverpool and to try and take Liverpool on.

“They were queuing up. It was like when you were at school as a kid and you’re 10-0 up – ‘Who hasn’t scored? Come on ‘keeper, up you come!’”

Pathetic, indeed

Commentary by mot ;

We cannot disagree with O’Hara at all.

From Bielsa to the players, no one did anything that merited them not getting criticised for that performance at Liverpool.

While Jurgen Klopp’s side is one of the best in Europe, there’s no excuse to play as badly as we did and to concede six goals – most of which were easily avoidable.

A lot of fans will point to the injury issues we’ve had this season when it comes to saying why we lost so heavily at Liverpool. But we’ve had injuries before, they’re nothing new and it’s not like Bielsa didn’t have to chance to sign new players in January.

Bielsa’s stubbornness is costing the Whites matches and it could cost us Premier League survival. We just pray that due to the fact he’s done so well with us over the last few years that the board don’t make the wrong decision on his future.

Bielsa is a modern-day legend at Elland Road but if he’s sailing the ship towards an iceberg, it’s time for a change of leader.

There are options out there who could implement a change at Leeds that will lead to the club avoiding relegation.
Ecoforall

Post by Ecoforall »

I never thought I’d utter these words, but I believe it is time for Marcelo to go. The number of goals conceded thus far (with 13 games left) is relation territory. He is a hero, a giant, a man who has done more to restore real pride rather than mere hope to to club, but he also has flaws and one of those is his insistence on not deviating from his preconceived notion of how the game should be played. This is fine when you are playing teams of equal stature and ability, but totally wrong when you are playing teams costing 10 or 20 times the cost of yours and double the number of players in the squad. These teams have £50m players on the bench for fun and are capable of ripping your defence to shreds at the blink of an eye. We need someone who will give us exciting football when appropriate, but will also be a pragmatist when needed. Thank you for the memories Marcelo, we wouldn’t be Premiership without you.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:23 am There was one person on here who said after the 9th place finish that the club is on the verge of an era which would eventually eclipse the Revie era...Of course, when I questioned this thinking the poster told me that I was being negative.

It now turns out that I was just being realistic, but what people who call you ' negative ' mean is that they don't like you having a different opinion to their own.
Some people don't like realism mate.
They prefer to live in a world where Bielsa is the be all and end all and can't be questioned or criticised.
I say bollocks to them. We fans will be here long after he's gone back to Argentina counting his millions and everyone still saying what a genius he is.
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

Maybe it's time for all the hardened fans that go to away games and home to stop singing his name and let him know what everyone really thinks ! I'm amazed the fans are just accepting what they see week in week out.
KP,Bamf and Coops wouldn't have mad a jot of difference to last night's result ! We can't compete with the money clubs and the way we play.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Dawson wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:34 am 6-0 is always hard to swallow but surely from the results Arsenal home City away showed that we need strengthening in January. Was it not obviously that another striker and experienced centre back were crucial back in the summer? You only need to look at our bench over the season to see how little options we have when things are going wrong.
Whose to blame……are we right to lose faith in our manager? No because we all embraced Bielsa’s philosophy and just because things are going wrong it’s no reason to suddenly turn. If you look at Bielsas’ track record it’s all about football not about trophies.
With a near full strength side and couple of injuries we would be clear of relegation but it’s not happened. Would I prefer to be in Burnley’s position with a -8 goal difference? No because we are Leeds and we are not hurting as individuals we are hurting as players, management, fans…. as a club, and we are in it together and turning on each other is not the way to go.On Saturday at 12:30 we go again as a club. The players we will give their all and Elland Road will sing as one. Football is all about emotion, every emotion, so when we MOT it’s through thick and thin and as one. So just embrace it for what it is.
It was plainly obvious to most of us here , it was obvious pre season let alone January.......yet the club , whether it's Orta or Bielsa , chose to do nothing other than add another winger and a left back . It was painfully more obvious January but blinkered thinking , stubbornness or whatever stopped the club doing anything . All clubs around Leeds have done something to change momentum , whether change manager , bring in players or both......but Bielsa is doing the exact same thing time and time again . Other side's don't even have to watch Leeds as they know what's coming and how to deal with it . What has happened to these in depth analysis of other side's? They are of no use whatsoever if you can't use your own tactics effectively, surely you adapt to eal with situations , not carry on regardless , yes right now Leeds are a carry on.......farcical comedy.Its a shame as Bielsa is very quickly destroying his own legacy to the club, he will not be remembered for the wonderful football now but more for the tactical ineptness that has now taken over.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Tyzy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:27 pm Maybe it's time for all the hardened fans that go to away games and home to stop singing his name and let him know what everyone really thinks ! I'm amazed the fans are just accepting what they see week in week out.
KP,Bamf and Coops wouldn't have mad a jot of difference to last night's result ! We can't compete with the money clubs and the way we play.
Thank you Yyzy for calling them money clubs instead of 'big' clubs. They are no bigger than the rest, just richer.
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

Leeds have never lost more than 3 league games in a row with Bielsa in charge.
Saturday is huge now.
Need something to cheer us up.

Something.

But sack the manager for who?

The U23s guy plays the same way and gets murdered most weeks too.
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
1964white

Post by 1964white »