Gigs (not that one!)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

I went to see an AC/DC tribute band last year, very good, but best tribute band I've ever seen was Led Zep, awesome.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

airedale wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:31 am The Cure at Leeds but missed the twilight sad support which annoyed me.
from the jam at Holmfirth
Big country at Leeds
I wanted to see the Levellers but covid got in the way.
love the Picturedrome at Holmfirth but never been able to book a room and make a night of it so no beer :cry:
Saw The Twilight Sad at the Love Apple in Bradford back in 2007 or 2008.
Pretty good just slightly too loud for that venue.
SnifferClarke
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by SnifferClarke »

Rock the Moor Cookham (May)

OMD
Boomtown Rats
Kim Wilde
Soul 2 Soul
The Farm
Space
Roland Gift
T'pau
Hue & Cry
Blancmange
Dr & the Medics

Surprisingly good, especially those in bold.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Finnatic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm Saw The Twilight Sad at the Love Apple in Bradford back in 2007 or 2008.
Edit: could have been 2006 as I can’t find the set list on setlist.fm
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

In the last year:

Stereophonics (Principality Stadium, Cardiff)
Black Sabbitch (The Globe, Cardiff) - terrific US, all female Sabbath tribute band.....great evening :tup:
Alcest (The Marble Factory , at Motion, Bristol) - French and pigeon-holed as post-black metal/blackgaze...I really like these. Were on as support to Cradle of Filth, who I didn't bother hanging around to see tbh.
Spear of Destiny (The Globe)
Esprit D'Air (The Globe) - British-Japanese alt metal band
James (St. David's Hall) - orchestral tour.......really good and SDH is a top venue, acoustically one of the best imo
Big Country (SoD in support) (Cardiff Uni SU) 40 yrs of The Crossing tour........a nice trip down memory lane
Sting (Cardiff Castle) .....never saw The Police so thought we'd go. Nice venue, would have a bit cr*p this month though what with the seeming continual rain.
Dope Lemon (Tramshed, Cardiff) - disappointing one

Next up is Allah-las (The Marble Factory) at the beginning of September and then Alcest are on again (also Bristol at SWX) in October, I think....haven't sorted a ticket yet.

Of all the above I reckon the best evening was Black Sabbitch........a cracking evening for £15/16 quid ! :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:52 am Did he do One Week? That's always a challenging song to sing. I have learned it but doesn't make it any easier
I don't think he did Faaip, cos I love that song and would have remembered it. That song would be tricky for anyone to pull off.

His version of Hallelujah at Jack Layton's state funeral is absolutely brilliant and very heartbreaking. Layton was one of the very few decent politicians.
VoiceofaLurker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by VoiceofaLurker »

Saw The Wonder Stuff in Northampton last Friday.

VOAL
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

Finnatic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm Saw The Twilight Sad at the Love Apple in Bradford back in 2007 or 2008.
They are always popping up on my Spotify moody mix love the broad Scottish accent .
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:02 pm In the last year:

Stereophonics (Principality Stadium, Cardiff)
Black Sabbitch (The Globe, Cardiff) - terrific US, all female Sabbath tribute band.....great evening :tup:
Alcest (The Marble Factory , at Motion, Bristol) - French and pigeon-holed as post-black metal/blackgaze...I really like these. Were on as support to Cradle of Filth, who I didn't bother hanging around to see tbh.
Spear of Destiny (The Globe)
Esprit D'Air (The Globe) - British-Japanese alt metal band
James (St. David's Hall) - orchestral tour.......really good and SDH is a top venue, acoustically one of the best imo
Big Country (SoD in support) (Cardiff Uni SU) 40 yrs of The Crossing tour........a nice trip down memory lane
Sting (Cardiff Castle) .....never saw The Police so thought we'd go. Nice venue, would have a bit cr*p this month though what with the seeming continual rain.
Dope Lemon (Tramshed, Cardiff) - disappointing one

Next up is Allah-las (The Marble Factory) at the beginning of September and then Alcest are on again (also Bristol at SWX) in October, I think....haven't sorted a ticket yet.

Of all the above I reckon the best evening was Black Sabbitch........a cracking evening for £15/16 quid ! :)
Simon Hough fits big country better than when mike peters had a go ,going to see them in bradford in feb if not before.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

airedale wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:16 pm They are always popping up on my Spotify moody mix love the broad Scottish accent .
That was my main memory, his accent.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:05 pm Just bought 2 tickets to see Dark Horses in Brighton, probably only use one tbf but 11 quid each
That's excellent.
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Re: Gigs

Post by BradWhite »

Sara wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:08 amAny good?
Yeah all great in particular The Ocean (Collective) who are amazing Berlin based band, seen them twice in under a year and I'll be going to see them again in Nov at the new venue in Leeds on Armley Road called Project House run by the people at Brudendell S.C.

The Cult were decent, seen them many times before, short set though - 80mins.
hector

Post by hector »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:10 pm I went to see an AC/DC tribute band last year, very good, but best tribute band I've ever seen was Led Zep, awesome.
Which one? there are loads
Whole lotta Led were the best I saw closely followed by Fred Zeppelin
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

hector wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:07 pm Which one? there are loads
Also saw these (at The Globe) and they were excellent, Hector 👍
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

White Riot wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:10 pm I don't think he did Faaip, cos I love that song and would have remembered it. That song would be tricky for anyone to pull off.

His version of Hallelujah at Jack Layton's state funeral is absolutely brilliant and very heartbreaking. Layton was one of the very few decent politicians.
The album that's off is a masterwork in songwriting imo ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

hector wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:07 pm Which one? there are loads
Ledz Zep
Even Robert Plant said " watching them was like watching ourselves live"
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Gigs

Post by Sara »

BradWhite wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:45 pm Yeah all great in particular The Ocean (Collective) who are amazing Berlin based band, seen them twice in under a year and I'll be going to see them again in Nov at the new venue in Leeds on Armley Road called Project House run by the people at Brudendell S.C.

The Cult were decent, seen them many times before, short set though - 80mins.
I've noticed sets getting shorter with some bands recently - 1hr 30 not being uncommon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:02 pm Were on as support to Cradle of Filth, who I didn't bother hanging around to see tbh.
Cradle of Filth are great!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Does a Jane McDonald 'gig' count? :love:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:34 pm Does a Jane McDonald 'gig' count? :love:
Of course, if it's a musical performance and you enjoyed it.