What a day for sport ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: What a day for sport ?

Post by whiteswan »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:19 pm

All led by an Irishman of course. I wonder if he will get a knighthood :lol:

I think our Irish Captain should get a knighthood Ian. He's had so much input into that team in the last four years. Changed a lot and instilled a never say die attitude in the players. He' done an amazing job as captain, not to mention how handy he is with the bat. I'll be disappointed if he isnt given the same accolade as so many other of our amazing sports people :)
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 pm Not exactly, Rashid needed to have crossed at the time of the throw.

From Cricinfo

However, according to Law 19.8, pertaining to "Overthrow or wilful act of fielder", it would appear that England's second on-field run should not have counted, making it a total of five runs for the incident, not six.

The law states: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

I think the umpires got caught up in the emotion of the game, and even though they consulted together they still made an error of judgement.
I think the 'or act' is pertinent here though. They hadn't crossed when the throw came in, but the throw wasn't what caused the extra runs, it was 'the act' of the ball hitting the bat.

At least that's how I'm choosing to interpret the wording ;-)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Genghers wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 pm I think the 'or act' is pertinent here though. They hadn't crossed when the throw came in, but the throw wasn't what caused the extra runs, it was 'the act' of the ball hitting the bat.

At least that's how I'm choosing to interpret the wording ;-)
Well I suppose if that salves your conscience :)

The wording act refers to any method of returning the ball ie it is legitimate to kick the ball towards the stumps.

But now that nonsense of the WC is over the real stuff starts soon with the Aussies coming go defend the Ashes.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If it hadn't gone for overthrows would it have scored 1 or 2 runs?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 am If it hadn't gone for overthrows would it have scored 1 or 2 runs?
He was sliding in for his second and would definitely have got there before a stumping.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Genghers wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 am He was sliding in for his second and would definitely have got there before a Runout
Fixed that for you.

Yes it looked a safe two, although I reckon Stokes would have been calling down all sorts of evil on NZ had the ball hit his body, he would have been within his rights to claim it was intentional, and if the umps agreed it would have been judged a dead ball and had to be played again.

Back to the event though, the umpires got it wrong in giving 6 runs according to the laws of the game.

But in such small margins history is made.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
hector

Post by hector »

So......

They won by cheating, and not being the better team?

even the arguments about the game are boring, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

just confirms the snoozfest that 22 people in white pottering about on some grass on a summer afternoon, is purely self indulgent snoozing.. :)
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Rules are rules. We didn't break any and won fair and square.
👍
gessa

Post by gessa »

Haighy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:57 am Rules are rules. We didn't break any and won fair and square.
👍

:tup: doubt there'd be as much discussion if NZ had won in the same way.