Brentford v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline: Brentford v Leeds Utd (2 votes each as its Easter)

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:21 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
15%
2-2
No votes
3-3 or higher
No votes
1-0
No votes
2-0
8%
2-1
23%
3-1
8%
3-2
No votes
0-1
No votes
0-2
23%
1-2
15%
1-3
8%
2-3
No votes

Total votes: 13

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Brentford v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:04 am We are in a battle, level on points with second, three games to go and people have given up and are slagging off the players and board.
Spend more money, buy more players put yourself in debt, look at Villa, Stoke, West Bromwich etc, all expensive squads, it’s no garunetee of success. We were already 4 million in the red from last year, please tell me what you expect?
We’re all gutted after Friday, but there is three games to go, please stop slagging off the squad of players for a few weeks untill it’s over.
You say this after every poor performance Dezzy but we never learn from our mistakes, there's always another stinker lurking round the corner, yes our squad is full of heart but we are inconsistent & we lack quality in depth, same old problem all season with no game-changers on the bench. Without Bielsa at the helm, this set of players wouldn't be sitting 3rd in the table, a remarkable achievement from the man in charge.

Just hope Marcelo is with us next season or else we'll be back to square one !

Btw Norwich & Sheff Utd haven't spent a fortune on their squad or nor did we but we missed out in the January window again & that lack of shrewd business could sadly come back to hurt us
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:26 am Consistently score more goals than us ges, which gives them a massive advantage and puts them second, above us
Yet they've only scored 1 more than us, so it's not that consistent, they've conceded 5 less, so is that the department we're lacking?
I'll admit with more clinical finishing we'd be out of sight now but no matter how much Rad is bemoaned, we have to accept he's set out his stall how he wants to run the club, people say if we'd only spent £10m on players, as though £10m is nothing, just imagine what it takes to raise that amount of money.

Much rather where we're at now than previous seasons, with our season over 6 games ago.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I'd be more pee'd off if I was a Villa, West Brom,Stoke, Forest Boro or Derby fan, with the money their squads cost to put together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:12 am Well said dezzy

After the Brum game we were useless, then after 2 wins, we were going to finish top 10 in the prem next season, now we're shite again.
Every single one of us would have taken where we are at the start of the season.
Keep reading how Sheff are more consistent than us, how can they be, being on the same points.
4 types of fan, the most common here is the reactionary, we also have a few self confessed pessimists, the odd optimist and the most balanced realist.

This season isn't done till we're promoted or out of the playoffs. I don't even think we played badly in the main v Wigan (I'm allowed my in game melt downs as everyone is) We were let down by 2 or 3 off performances mainly down the left side and our new untested centre back pairing which was forced on us. In hindsight maybe Kalvin next to Pontus as he's played there before and Forshaw as DMF

Beradi didn't look comfortable playing left of Pontus rather than right of Liam who's a natural left sided player
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:39 am I'd be more pee'd off if I was a Villa, West Brom,Stoke, Forest Boro or Derby fan, with the money their squads cost to put together.
Only Norwich fans can feel happier than ours so far this season. The Blades' fans as happy.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:49 am 4 types of fan, the most common here is the reactionary, we also have a few self confessed pessimists, the odd optimist and the most balanced realist.

This season isn't done till we're promoted or out of the playoffs. I don't even think we played badly in the main v Wigan (I'm allowed my in game melt downs as everyone is) We were let down by 2 or 3 off performances mainly down the left side and our new untested centre back pairing which was forced on us. In hindsight maybe Kalvin next to Pontus as he's played there before and Forshaw as DMF

Beradi didn't look comfortable playing left of Pontus rather than right of Liam who's a natural left sided player
I try to be optimistic when we are having a good season, and not worry about who we lose to when lose, trying to concentrate on how were are going over all. After all if you get promoted it doesn't matter who you beat, drew with or lost to over the season.

But I have to disagree about the performance against Wigan. That was very poor, and poor by most of the players. But such poor performances have been a rarity, an exception to the general rule. So as far as I am concerned, promotion is still very much on the cards.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If Liam isn't good to go

Casilla
Ayling
Beradi
Jansson
Phillips

Forshaw
Hernandez
Klich
Roberts
Alioski

Bamford

for me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:10 am You say this after every poor performance Dezzy but we never learn from our mistakes, there's always another stinker lurking round the corner, yes our squad is full of heart but we are inconsistent & we lack quality in depth, same old problem all season with no game-changers on the bench. Without Bielsa at the helm, this set of players wouldn't be sitting 3rd in the table, a remarkable achievement from the man in charge.

Just hope Marcelo is with us next season or else we'll be back to square one !

Btw Norwich & Sheff Utd haven't spent a fortune on their squad or nor did we but we missed out in the January window again & that lack of shrewd business could sadly come back to hurt us
I do 64 and you slag our players off after every defeat.
Bielsa will be here next season and if not, good luck to him. We won’t be back to square one, square one was no youth set up, no talent coming through and us sitting mid table.
Who could leave this summer if we don’t go up? Phillips, Pontus can’t see many other, Pablo maybe for a pay day. That’s 30 million of talent, replace all three with whoever Bielsa wants and we would be stronger. It’s not all doom and gloom.
I really admire the dedication you have following this team, I couldn’t question your commitment to Leeds but bloody hell try looking at things from a slightly more positive angle, you seem to have given up hope in a two horse race.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I'm an eternal pessimist but it would be symptomatic of our season and the playoff race for us to beat Brentford, Hull beat Blades and we go back to 2nd.

That would really be typical.

Everyone expected Blades to beat Millwall and us to struggle vs Wednesday, that didnt happen.

The pressure got to us the other day, no doubt about that.

But its getting to Norwich and Sheffield United to.

Its sad that we couldn't take advantage of the Norwich slip up.

But it isnt over yet, its vital we turn up vs Brentford, but hope is still there.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I'd bring Cooper in if he's fit - provides a lot of communication and definitely makes the defence stronger.

I'd be tempted to start Roofe over Bamford as I think he gives the opposition more to think about, but I also don't think Bamford deserves to be dropped.

Clarke hasn't looked as bright in his performances since his illness and he still probably offers more from the bench.

I am slightly worried as Brentford has never been a happy hunting ground for us and they have decent pace up top which we always strughle to contend with.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:32 am I do 64 and you slag our players off after every defeat.
Because everyone of our defeats in 2019 have been self-inflicted with silly errors at the back, missing bucket loads of chances (many one on one opportunities), choosing the wrong options, complacency particularly when we play the lower teams & just to peeved & finish me off the showboating v Wigan which was absolutely disgraceful. Who do they think they are Revie's team. We never learn ! Our naivety & lack of professionalism cost us three more points to add those chucked away previously.

I defy you to find anyone who went to the Wigan game to be blase about that performance at the end, our fans were angry. Hardly a word was uttered on our coach on the journey home as everyone were totally dismayed & shell-shocked
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I think Leeds forgot that they only scraped the win at their place because of a defensive c**k up which gifted it to Roofe. There are no mugs in this league and the sooner Leeds realise this then maybe they'll take the lower teams more seriously. They deserved what they got for their cockyness and I hope MB has made it clear to cut it out.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:16 pm I'd bring Cooper in if he's fit - provides a lot of communication and definitely makes the defence stronger.

I'd be tempted to start Roofe over Bamford as I think he gives the opposition more to think about, but I also don't think Bamford deserves to be dropped.

Clarke hasn't looked as bright in his performances since his illness and he still probably offers more from the bench.

I am slightly worried as Brentford has never been a happy hunting ground for us and they have decent pace up top which we always strughle to contend with.
I don't consider that a factor in anyway whatsoever. Every game is a new one, a 90 minute one off sporting contest. More ..it's a two horse sporting contest.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

gessa wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:36 am Yet they've only scored 1 more than us, so it's not that consistent, they've conceded 5 less, so is that the department we're lacking?
I'll admit with more clinical finishing we'd be out of sight now but no matter how much Rad is bemoaned, we have to accept he's set out his stall how he wants to run the club, people say if we'd only spent £10m on players, as though £10m is nothing, just imagine what it takes to raise that amount of money.

Much rather where we're at now than previous seasons, with our season over 6 games ago.
Yep absolutely and spot on.

I think what all fans are frustrated about are the missed opportunities we have missed on cementing Promotion, but like anything Pressure does funny things and players just handle pressure differently or some just crumble under it, it's what defines them and at the same time question how they would handle the Premier league IMO...... lessons learnt all the time.
I keep thinking back to the Liverpool goal keeper at the Champions League final last year where he seldomly cost Liverpool any chance of winning that final, it's how you handle Pressure.

I can't put my finger on it whether it was a case of cockines vs Wigan and showing no respect or we were just poor. Winning 1-0 we just played like we were going to bang them in, we lost our structure and played hoof balls and went away from what we do best.

At the start of the Season I never thought with 3 games to go we would be equal 2nd and Play off's assured so on that note as much as I'm still hurt by Saturday's result I'm very proud of the job they have done thus far and even if we miss out on 2nd will remain hopeful that we can achieve Promotion via the Play off's.
Let's keep the faith guy's they need us more than ever MOT.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:10 pm Ironically the side we need to beat are loaded with pace and guile, its steel they lack.
Dreading it to be honest Cjay, the Bees pace is frightening & we are so vulnerable to teams with pace, that word is not in Leeds United's vocabulary unfortunately.

Had this game down as one of our toughest ones in the run-in, hopefully they have a real off day as we did on Friday
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:26 am Consistently score more goals than us ges, which gives them a massive advantage and puts them second, above us
And the blunts have lost only two games in 2019, we've lost seven
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:57 am If Liam isn't good to go

Casilla
Ayling
Beradi
Jansson
Phillips

Forshaw
Hernandez
Klich
Roberts
Alioski

Bamford

for me
That one change is the only realistic option Bielsa has imo!

I personally think he will start with the same team as v Wigan
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:32 pm I think Leeds forgot that they only scraped the win at their place because of a defensive c**k up which gifted it to Roofe. There are no mugs in this league and the sooner Leeds realise this then maybe they'll take the lower teams more seriously. They deserved what they got for their cockyness and I hope MB has made it clear to cut it out.

Bielsa wasn't happy, I'm sure he would have had words with all his players.

His job is to motivate & prepare them for our final three league matches, hopefully our players have heeded is words
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: Dreading it to be honest Cjay, the Bees pace is frightening & we are so vulnerable to teams with pace, that word is not in Leeds United's vocabulary unfortunately.

Had this game down as one of our toughest ones in the run-in, hopefully they have a real off day as we did on Friday
Regardless of what league we're in next season I really do hope that we buy someone who can carry the ball with outright pace as there is nothing more that scares defenders ....like we know only too well. It gives any team an extra dimension to their play and can be a real game changer from the bench. Ideally he needs to be 6' plus as well because I also feel that there are too many small build/short players within our squad who cannot handle the big physical opponents. We get brushed aside far too easily a lot of the time .

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:26 pm Because everyone of our defeats in 2019 have been self-inflicted with silly errors at the back, missing bucket loads of chances (many one on one opportunities), choosing the wrong options, complacency particularly when we play the lower teams & just to peeved & finish me off the showboating v Wigan which was absolutely disgraceful. Who do they think they are Revie's team. We never learn ! Our naivety & lack of professionalism cost us three more points to add those chucked away previously.

I defy you to find anyone who went to the Wigan game to be blase about that performance at the end, our fans were angry. Hardly a word was uttered on our coach on the journey home as everyone were totally dismayed & shell-shocked
Who’s Blaise about the performance? It was gut wrenching, threw away our adavantage, horrible situation, but surely that’s when we rally behind the team for the remaining vital games?
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..