The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 3rd Sept)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 3rd Sept)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Berardi left Elland Road on Friday Evening with his leg strapped up, and on crutches.

The Birthday boy turned up to his 30th Birthday party still wearing his kit he was wearing his kit, and sporting surgical bandiging around his right leg.

Looks like we have hit the international break at the right time.

One month in Leeds have won 4 and drawn 2. Berardi, Hernandez, Jansson and Coope have all picked up knocks during this time.

Are the players susceptible to injury having been trained so hard?

Will Bielsa regret not signing a centre back.

Steven Caulker is now a free agent. The 26yo have left Dundee. Surely its a no brainer...
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 3rd Sept)

Post by Dalton »

Morning all,

With the modern training methods, physio and all the warm down, ice baths and the like, no i do not believe it is the heavier training for fitness.
I think in the defences case, we have played hard to get where we are and Beradi in particular is throwing his whole body on the line to keep us there
Likewise Hernandez. Not getting any younger but the first team is largely the same as when the Heck was at the helm, so i guess something has to give
player wise.

I think we need a CB for sure. Wasnt impressed with Cooper at all Friday
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Dalton wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 am Morning all,

With the modern training methods, physio and all the warm down, ice baths and the like, no i do not believe it is the heavier training for fitness.
I think in the defences case, we have played hard to get where we are and Beradi in particular is throwing his whole body on the line to keep us there
Likewise Hernandez. Not getting any younger but the first team is largely the same as when the Heck was at the helm, so i guess something has to give
player wise.

Morning Dalton, I guess a lot of us are still very wary of Cooper due to the amount of errors he made last season. I see him in a different light this season.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:16 am Good Morning Everyone

Berardi left Elland Road on Friday Evening with his leg strapped up, and on crutches.

The Birthday boy turned up to his 30th Birthday party still wearing his kit he was wearing his kit, and sporting surgical bandiging around his right leg.

Looks like we have hit the international break at the right time.

One month in Leeds have won 4 and drawn 2. Berardi, Hernandez, Jansson and Coope have all picked up knocks during this time.

Are the players susceptible to injury having been trained so hard?

Will Bielsa regret not signing a centre back.

Steven Caulker is now a free agent. The 26yo have left Dundee. Surely its a no brainer...
I think we pick up our fair of injuries every season, nothing new this season, Cooper, Jansson and Berardi go in hard so pick them up, Hernandez Saiz etc get kicked a lot, no different than other teams players.

Been a much better start to the season than most of us envisaged, long may it continue, you need around 2 points per game to go up automatically, which shows we have a difficult job on our hands.

I do think we needed another CB, as well as another DM but who am I to question him.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Dalton wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 am

Nor was I Dalton, very fortunate not to give away at least one penalty.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:

I think we pick up our fair of injuries every season, nothing new this season, Cooper, Jansson and Berardi go in hard so pick them up, Hernandez Saiz etc get kicked a lot, no different than other teams players.

Been a much better start to the season than most of us envisaged, long may it continue, you need around 2 points per game to go up automatically, which shows we have a difficult job on our hands.

I do think we needed another CB, as well as another DM but who am I to question him.
Just a supporter who pays his money to watch his team and also gives support to that same team in all kinds of almost intangible ways.
I would back this guy against most others but nobody's perfect. If Berra's half-crippled himself and Jansson's under-utilised whilst lesser people toil, certain lessons are maybe still there for the learning - or maybe not, I can't watch most games so can't honestly give an opinion.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:14 am Just a supporter who pays his money to watch his team and also gives support to that same team in all kinds of almost intangible ways.
I would back this guy against most others but nobody's perfect. If Berra's half-crippled himself and Jansson's under-utilised whilst lesser people toil, certain lessons are maybe still there for the learning - or maybe not, I can't watch most games so can't honestly give an opinion.

For what it's worth Norm, I think he's made a big mistake. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt him.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Not seen anything official regarding Berardi, so hopefully the strapping and crutches were just a precaution. Hope so; he's had his moments but, generally, he's been terrific so far this season.

Didn't expect us to start so well, tbh, gotta be happy with 14 from 18.

Injuries happen, Matt, we had our fair share last season when we weren't playing Bielsa-ball.

I too think we needed another CB and DM, but it didn't happen. Bielsa sees it differently and he's the one where the buck stops. Maybe there are young players already here who he believes can make the step up? I just hope his faith in what we currently have doesn't come back to bite him on the arse later in the season.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What we don't know is if he's working his magic the level down too. He may know how close to first team action the likes of Rey, Shaughnessy are, and others...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 pm What we don't know is if he's working his magic the level down too. He may know how close to first team action the likes of Rey, Shaughnessy are, and others...
That's where I was coming from, faaip, he doesn't strike me as the sort of coach who settles for second best. I hope he's right, as a solid platform at the back is the enabler for the high press. Shaughnessy was rusty the other night, but I think Bielsa likes the fact that he's comfortable with the ball at his feet. If he can get to grips with the CH role, then maybe he's the cover we need there? Lots of ifs and buts, but we have to put our faith in the man on the bucket
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

If Shaughnessy is a decent prospect i would put him ahead of Cooper and have a Pontus/Beradi pairing

Keep with the current team and use the quick young players to come off the bench. I thought he left the subs a bit late on Friday but may be he liked a point from the game
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
gessa

Post by gessa »

Halme plays for the U23's today, could he be the one MB is waiting for, highly regarded.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Afternoon all
gessa

Post by gessa »

Richard wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 pmAfternoon all
Hi Rich.
How you doing mate.
More relaxed on here for you than elsewhere atm.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

oh do tell
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I would have liked a CB, but tbh based on how we play it's the attacking players who do most of the work, so I understand why we focused on improving our attacking options instead.

Bielsa likes to play the likes of Phillips and Forshaw there as well, plus Halme is coming back to fitness as another option. I can't remember if he was bought for u23 or for the first team though.

Injuries are a pain, but we've already lost Jansson, Cooper, Berardi, Dallas, Forshaw and Pablo and are top. Rather lose them now than at Christmas.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:19 pm I would have liked a CB, but tbh based on how we play it's the attacking players who do most of the work, so I understand why we focused on improving our attacking options instead.

Bielsa likes to play the likes of Phillips and Forshaw there as well, plus Halme is coming back to fitness as another option. I can't remember if he was bought for u23 or for the first team though.

Injuries are a pain, but we've already lost Jansson, Cooper, Berardi, Dallas, Forshaw and Pablo and are top. Rather lose them now than at Christmas.
Halme was an interesting signing as we paid a decent fee for him and he was playing at a reasonable level so it looked like he was probably bought to initially play U23 but would then be first choice back up if Cooper or PJ got injured/suspended.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

All of us 'experts' can't understand why we haven't gone out and got a good CB. Bielsa has seen all the players and he must have decided that we already have the players available to do the job. I suppose we have to trust him and hope he has got it right.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

gessa wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:58 pm Hi Rich.
How you doing mate.
More relaxed on here for you than elsewhere atm.
Hi Pal

Sorry I missed this one, all is calm at both my guilty pleasures at the moment ;-) :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Richard wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:29 pm Hi Pal

Sorry I missed this one, all is calm at both my guilty pleasures at the moment ;-) :tup:
Nice one Rich, see the waters have settled there. :tup: