Hopes for Carabao Cup

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Hopes for Carabao Cup

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Hoping that this won't be a priority, even though I know our fans can be a little impatient. It's a 46 game season which is tough, all the more so given Bielsa's high tempo. Not hoping we get knocked, but hoping we don't sacrifice anything in the ultimate goal of promotion. That said would like to see quite a bit of squad rotation: Jansson, Pearce, Baker, Bamford, Harrison. Also might be an opportunity for us to see who really is in Bielsa's plans and who isn't. Pretty sure we won't see Ekuban, O'Kane, or Ideguchi.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Hopes for Carabao Cup

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 am Hoping that this won't be a priority, even though I know our fans can be a little impatient. It's a 46 game season which is tough, all the more so given Bielsa's high tempo. Not hoping we get knocked, but hoping we don't sacrifice anything in the ultimate goal of promotion. That said would like to see quite a bit of squad rotation: Jansson, Pearce, Baker, Bamford, Harrison. Also might be an opportunity for us to see who really is in Bielsa's plans and who isn't. Pretty sure we won't see Ekuban, O'Kane, or Ideguchi.
Only game I'm missing due to my busy lifestyle between now & the middle of September

Always want Leeds to win however it wouldn't worry me if we are knocked out of the EFL Cup although I reckon with Bielsa now at the helm we could go really well & surprise a few prem teams in this competition
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 am Only game I'm missing due to my busy lifestyle between now & the middle of September

Always want Leeds to win however it wouldn't worry me if we are knocked out of the EFL Cup although I reckon with Bielsa now at the helm we could go really well & surprise a few prem teams in this competition
I know you have often criticised ex managers for picking weak sides but if you were Bielsa what team would you pick for tomorrow - not saying which team you think Bielsa will pick but the team that you would pick if you were in charge?

For me I would have Blackman starting, Pearce at left back, Jannson in at centre back, Harrison, Baker, Shackleton, Bamford and Roberts all starting and then filling in the other positions with the best U23 options in the positions needed. Certainly if the 3 loan signings are good enough for the first team then the line-up is still reasonably strong.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 am I know you have often criticised ex managers for picking weak sides but if you were Bielsa what team would you pick for tomorrow - not saying which team you think Bielsa will pick but the team that you would pick if you were in charge?

For me I would have Blackman starting, Pearce at left back, Jannson in at centre back, Harrison, Baker, Shackleton, Bamford and Roberts all starting and then filling in the other positions with the best U23 options in the positions needed. Certainly if the 3 loan signings are good enough for the first team then the line-up is still reasonably strong.
I think most if not all of those will start and it's likely that Edmondson and Clarke will be added to the squad, probably on the bench.
I'm interested to see how well Roberts and Harrison do in wide positions supporting Bamford.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
gessa

Post by gessa »

Id certainly rest Klich, came off both games so far. I'd carry on with Roofe, he's full of confidence and is enjoying himself, good to see it continue, perhaps bring Bamford on for last 30. Jansson has to start along with Pearce and Cooper. I wouldn't change the whole team as it will be good to keep certain things ticking over.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Even at this early stage of the season, Bielsa's system means game management is crucial. Jansson has to start, probably Bamford too but perhaps there won't be wholesale changes, keep some continuity
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson