Confession number 2

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Confession number 2

Post by Sara »

Hear what you're saying re the Prem, and the hideous marketisation of football, but I'm also tired of the Championship, and was really hoping to get out of it this season. It's the frustration of watching painfully inconsistent players, more than anything.

I enjoy watching good quality football, but only really when I have an investment in it because my team is playing. I never watch the Prem, or the Champions League for entertainment as a neutral.

I want Leeds to have the best players we can aspire to, and be playing at the highest level we can achieve. I want Leeds to annoy and upset people on a global stage, ideally.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

We should have gone up. Simples. I don't care if we were to struggle.....we would have made millions to re invest. Sordid I know, but football is all about money these days. I'm sick and tired of us languishing in this horrible Championship. So what if we yo yo.....seriously, some of you are saying you would rather us play Brentford, Barnsley, Millscum, QPR, Wigan etc etc, rather than Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manure, Spurs etc? I know what I would prefer.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Ps.....still absolutely ticked and pi**ed off from Wednesday night :x
Sonofaspud
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Sonofaspud »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:18 pm
I enjoy watching good quality football, but only really when I have an investment in it because my team is playing. I never watch the Prem, or the Champions League for entertainment as a neutral.
100 percent agree here. if its not leeds its nothing of interest to me. I couldn't tell you one single Chelsea player. funny thing is I only ever lived in leeds for 18 months when I was a 10 year old living near Pudsey in farefield ( or it that Fairfield ). but when we moved away I wanted to belong somewhere and as I loved the accent and so many more things up here. I chose to Alline my self to the club. I cant remember such a fantastic season since our drop. even the -15 season though inspirational didn't hit the highs of this season. for once we was not looking at the floor but looking at the stars. we could smell the money being pushed through the doors at elland road only for it to turn out to be the smell of s**t again. cant wait for next season as im only 51 this year and I hope to see us champions again before im done. :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:17 am We should have gone up. Simples. I don't care if we were to struggle.....we would have made millions to re invest. Sordid I know, but football is all about money these days. I'm sick and tired of us languishing in this horrible Championship. So what if we yo yo.....seriously, some of you are saying you would rather us play Brentford, Barnsley, Millscum, QPR, Wigan etc etc, rather than Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manure, Spurs etc? I know what I would prefer.
Don't remind me about next seasons visits Swannie

Prior to the Wigan game I had high hopes my journeys around England would be much more exciting, the prospect of the play-offs stunted my belief, for a few brief moments I thought there was a chance then the almighty c**k-up in the space of twenty minutes of all-time of LUFC's history killed my deluded thoughts.

I feel we have one more opportunity under Bielsa as long as he receives the backing he richly deserves, should our board fanny about showing limited intent & ambition then we'll know our future destiny
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Apart from being adequately compensated from tv money and keeping our academy products, there isn't really much benefit to being in the PL either. It's full of clubs parking the bus and timewasting, ruining games. Yeah there'd be a few decent games a season, same in the Championship though, Villa/Derby, Wendies, Forest. It's also completely unsustainable with the overspending of teams and complete reliance on sugar daddies/tv money.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Sonofaspud wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:09 am 100 percent agree here. if its not leeds its nothing of interest to me. I couldn't tell you one single Chelsea player. funny thing is I only ever lived in leeds for 18 months when I was a 10 year old living near Pudsey in farefield ( or it that Fairfield ). but when we moved away I wanted to belong somewhere and as I loved the accent and so many more things up here. I chose to Alline my self to the club. I cant remember such a fantastic season since our drop. even the -15 season though inspirational didn't hit the highs of this season. for once we was not looking at the floor but looking at the stars. we could smell the money being pushed through the doors at elland road only for it to turn out to be the smell of s**t again. cant wait for next season as im only 51 this year and I hope to see us champions again before im done. :tup:
I'm the same, except that I've never even lived in Leeds. I was born in Middlesbrough, which was in Yorkshire at the time (1966), and then we moved down south when I was a baby. I had no other influences in that direction, my family were from the south originally, but I always identified as a Yorkshire person, and read or watched anything I could to do with Yorkshire. No one in my family was into football either, but I'd heard of Leeds United, so I collected pictures and stickers. I didn't even watch football myself, it was just an identity thing.

I've lived in Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Northumberland as an adult, but didn't really take an interest in actually watching football until I was in my forties, when a friend asked me if I wanted to go. Gradually I got hooked on it.

So, although I'm 53, I effectively missed out on all the good bits. Leeds got relegated a couple of years before I took an active interest. I'm nostalgic for something I lived through but didn't experience or appreciate at the time.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:56 pm Found myself thinking about this and its made me feel better somewhat.

For better or worse this season was fun and exciting (and very disappointing in the end).

Next season will hopefully be the same with a better ending.

But as a newly promoted club you look forward to mid table at best, obviously Wolves bucked the trend but even they didnt actually achieve anything in my book.

Top 7 is good but its a hollow victory because you have nothing to show for it in the end but you hope to grow.

The status quo will make this impossible though imo and Wolves like every other side who has had a sniff of breaking the glass ceiling in all likelihood wont.

Norwich, Blades, Derby and Villa will all hope to do a Wolves but they are far far more likely to be a Cardiff or a Fulham or maybe a Newcastle in mid table (as we probably would have been to).

Its a battle for mediocrity.

So while extremely disappointed and jealous of them i find myself in a strange conundrum.

Conflicted, i wish we got promoted but once the euphoria goes away and you find yourself losing most weeks and largely you find out your star names arent quite as good as you thought, quite a depressing time.

I look forward to a better season next season but similar to Cardiff and Fulham i suspect any envy will quickly fade as the reality of what happens to newly promoted sides in the prem likely happens to this seasons rivals next season.

The Championship is a hell of a lot of fun where anyone can beat anyone.

The Premier league is 3 or 4 leagues in one.
Wolves qualified for the Euro League.

I do get your overall point though, there is no fun getting rolled most weeks but then but though this season was exciting we still ended up with nothing but a terrible case of PTSD.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 pm Wolves qualified for the Euro League.

I do get your overall point though, there is no fun getting rolled most weeks but then but though this season was exciting we still ended up with nothing but a terrible case of PTSD.
But they're bankrolled by a billionaire owner and have Mendes on tap. I do think though that we'd have had a better go than the promoted teams, with Bielsa we would have attracted better players and we would have kept our cavalier attacking football. But it is what it is.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm But they're bankrolled by a billionaire owner and have Mendes on tap. I do think though that we'd have had a better go than the promoted teams, with Bielsa we would have attracted better players and we would have kept our cavalier attacking football. But it is what it is.
I agree, I think we could have counted on a few decent players ( probably oversees as they are easier to pay haha) But maybe next time...
Yeah I was replying to his point where he suggested they got nothing out of the season. A wee jaunt into Europe for the fans to enjoy, and a raised profile as a result. Not bad for a first season back in the PL.

Overall though the Prem League will generally be ruled by the cash rich clubs.

Would we take a billionaire owner?

I would. Money only gets you a seat at the table, it guarantees nothing more, you still need a good management team around to bring in or develop the right players.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:48 pm I agree, I think we could have counted on a few decent players ( probably oversees as they are easier to pay haha) But maybe next time...
Yeah I was replying to his point where he suggested they got nothing out of the season. A wee jaunt into Europe for the fans to enjoy, and a raised profile as a result. Not bad for a first season back in the PL.

Overall though the Prem League will generally be ruled by the cash rich clubs.

Would we take a billionaire owner?

I would. Money only gets you a seat at the table, it guarantees nothing more, you still need a good management team around to bring in or develop the right players.
Nahitan Nandez :verysad: Yet Blunts are linked with Assombalonga and Norwich saying they're only looking at loans. :o Just feels like another massive missed opportunity.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm I do think though that we'd have had a better go than the promoted teams, with Bielsa we would have attracted better players and we would have kept our cavalier attacking football. But it is what it is.
I 100% agree. Norwich were so reliant on late goals late season and you have to think that they won't get that amount of late goals in the premiership. They also had Pukki having a career year, how will they cope if e goes from 30 goals to say 6 goals. Sheff Utd have a lot of journeymen type players that you can't help but feel are on their last legs and gave it their all. They will scrap for points but do they really have the quality to get enough points?

Whereas we had a style of play that saw us create chances regardless of whether we were playing good or bad, a style of play that saw us create chances whether we were playing the top or the bottom teams, whether teams attacked us or parked the bus. You would have thought that if we had improved our shot conversion efficiency that we'd have been able to get enough wins to stay up.

It is what it is though and hopefully we can strengthen our weaknesses this season and then go up with a team that is fully functioning and then not just go up to survive but go up and really shake things up.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:23 amNorwich were so reliant on late goals late season and you have to think that they won't get that amount of late goals in the premiership.
I wonder how much that was down to their pink dressing room lowering testosterone levels? ;-) I presume Stan Collymore is on the phone to lawyers demanding they demand sanctions. :duno: