Lack of depth

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Lack of depth

Post by Cjay »

Finally exposed?

Not played great during an in fairness notorious Christmas period.

Not alone in dropping points, just ask Cardiff, Sheffield United and Wolves.

And its points that count, 4 wins 1 draw 1 defeat this month. Only bettered by 3 teams.

But have we seen our lack of depth exposed?

Rest Ayling? Obvious choice is Berardi, then you have to ask a not match fit or convincing CBJ or Anita to go left.
Rest either of the central defenders, 2 kids are the cover.
Rest or lose Vieira, today happens, Shaunie looked out of his depth, Klich totally not match fit and O'Kane has been poor for months anyway.
Rest (as he should have been) Alioski, Pablo goes left Saiz comes in and Cibicki stays right (he has been ineffective to)
So replace Cibicki, Sacko comes in, or Roofe goes right and a not match fit Lassie comes in.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Lack of depth

Post by 1964white »

I have been saying for months we lack depth & are very fragile Cjay
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:I have been saying for months we lack depth & are very fragile Cjay
We do :(

Think we all knew we did but the impact of Vieira missing was a shocker.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

GK - Weidwald - Lonnergan -
RB - Beradi - Ayling - Anita
LB - CBJ -
CB - Jansson -
CB - Cooper Pennington, Shaughnessy
RW - Alioski, Cibicki, Sacko
LW - Dallas - Alioski
DMF - Vierra, Anita,
CMF - Phillips, Klich, Gomes
AMF - Saiz, Hernandez,
Forward - Ekuban, Lassoga, Grot,
Striker - Roofe, Cibicki
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:GK - Weidwald - Lonnergan -
RB - Beradi - Ayling - Anita
LB - CBJ -
CB - Jansson -
RW - Alioski, Cibicki, Sacko
LW - Dallas - Alioski
DMF - Vierra, Anita,
AMF - Saiz, Hernandez,
Forward - Ekuban, Lassoga, Grot,
Striker - Roofe, Cibicki
Majority of them are poor or average at best
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote:
Think we all knew we did but the impact of Vieira missing was a shocker.

The fact you are correct that we missed a 19 year old kid so much is telling. We are still miles away from a serious challenge. I honestly don't think what TC says about the squad are his true feelings, he knows we're still 5 players away from anything like a good enough first 11, but it's all he's getting unfortunately, too many signings for the future and not enough for now isnt good enough, the tide needs to turn or otherwise we could be losing the one's that are good enough and pretty soon.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Our first 11 are quality on our day but if it’s not working the players coming in aren’t able to change things and there’s not enough quality and match fitness in the rest of the squad
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Ratscoot wrote:Our first 11 are quality on our day but if it’s not working the players coming in aren’t able to change things and there’s not enough quality and match fitness in the rest of the squad
I agree we had too many fringe players (or who should be) on the field and in key positions.
Shaunie, all know he should not have started CMF
Wiedwald - going to say it again, he’s not up to it, could have done better with the shot yesterday and we draw 0 - 0. I’d put an offer in for Stockdale probably jump at the chance.
Roofe - bit unfair on him as he’s done well but he’s not a lone striker and when we play physical opposition it just doesn’t work.

Throw in to that no real LB and you can see why we get found out at times

Keeper, LB, CMF and a striker of first team start quality needed Jan for me.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote:The fact you are correct that we missed a 19 year old kid so much is telling. We are still miles away from a serious challenge. I honestly don't think what TC says about the squad are his true feelings, he knows we're still 5 players away from anything like a good enough first 11, but it's all he's getting unfortunately, too many signings for the future and not enough for now isnt good enough, the tide needs to turn or otherwise we could be losing the one's that are good enough and pretty soon.
I agree.

Don't believe when TC did his presentation for the job he had Berardi playing LB or Cooper playing CB or Chris Wood gone.
I'm sure he is as frustrated as us, he must know certain players aren't good enough for 1st choice, but he is a good employee. He says the right things and makes the right noises, but deep down he knows he needs 4 or 5 quality signings.

We do have some quality players, but outside of those we are weak.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote:GK - Weidwald - Lonnergan
RB - BERARDI - Ayling - Anita
LB - CBJ -
CB - JANSSON-
RW - ALIOSKI, Cibicki, Sacko
LW - Dallas - Alioski
DMF - VIEIRA, ANITA,
AMF - SAIZ, HERNANDEZ,
Forward - EKUBAN, LASSIE, Grot,
Striker - Roofe, Cibicki
Italics-Not good enough, not likely to get better, need an upgrade.
Bold- Not proven or consistent, may improve but not upto 1st choice right now.

IN CAPITALS- Good enough for 1st eleven imo in that position.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:The fact you are correct that we missed a 19 year old kid so much is telling. We are still miles away from a serious challenge. I honestly don't think what TC says about the squad are his true feelings, he knows we're still 5 players away from anything like a good enough first 11, but it's all he's getting unfortunately, too many signings for the future and not enough for now isnt good enough, the tide needs to turn or otherwise we could be losing the one's that are good enough and pretty soon.
Agree we are five first team players away from being the real mccoy

We are barely out of December with half a season to go & injuries/fatigue are kicking in already.

Without Saiz & Vieira perfomances have dipped even though we've scraped a few victories, it only needs Pontus to pick up a serious injury & we'll endure heavier defeats than yesterdays' fiasco.

Jansson, Saiz, Vieira & Hernandez are our only class players, we need better to go with them. The January Window will decide whether we can sustain a top six challenge or we head back to mid-table mediocrity. Enough wasn't done in the summer, now the ball is in Radz/Orta's court to determine how we fare in the final months of the season
gessa

Post by gessa »

Sign a quality left back and move Berardi to the right, would be like making 2 signings in one, strengthen both positions. Would likely improve Coopwr and Jansson's game too, so they can concentrate on their own positions rather than having to think for others.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Sign a quality left back and move Berardi to the right, would be like making 2 signings in one, strengthen both positions. Would likely improve Coopwr and Jansson's game too, so they can concentrate on their own positions rather than having to think for others.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote:I agree.

Don't believe when TC did his presentation for the job he had Berardi playing LB or Cooper playing CB or Chris Wood gone.
I'm sure he is as frustrated as us, he must know certain players aren't good enough for 1st choice, but he is a good employee. He says the right things and makes the right noises, but deep down he knows he needs 4 or 5 quality signings.

We do have some quality players, but outside of those we are weak.
I would suggest that not only is he a good employee but also a good manager as if he was publicly saying he needed new players it would hardly fill the current players with much confidence. Likely that is the main reason he hasn't been bleating on about new signings and likely that he will have been stressing to AR and VO the need for signings.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote:I would suggest that not only is he a good employee but also a good manager as if he was publicly saying he needed new players it would hardly fill the current players with much confidence. Likely that is the main reason he hasn't been bleating on about new signings and likely that he will have been stressing to AR and VO the need for signings.
I like him a lot, think he has potential to be an excellent manager.
Old Steve Bruce said the other day basically "how can we be expected to do well with pur best players out".
I'm glad TC doesnt say stupid things like that.
But i hope he is nagging Orta and Radz daily.
Signed

King Cjay

mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

where is Anita?
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mav wrote:where is Anita?

How do you mean?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

When TC was interviewed after the game and asked do we need to strengthen and would we be adding to the sqaud he replied "ask Victor"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Well that's a passive agressive answer
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote:When TC was interviewed after the game and asked do we need to strengthen and would we be adding to the sqaud he replied "ask Victor"
I think TC gets sick of answering those types of question and it is easier just to say ask VO. Also it isn't part of TC's role to make the signings just to tell them what he needs and then presumably to pick from the options they present him with. Similarly you wouldn't ask VO who he was going to select to play in the match etc.