Liam Cooper

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Liam Cooper

Post by malcolmw »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:28 am Well, you might've answered your own question there Malc.

Coz i'll tell you what it tells me - It tells me that our current manager is prepared (as he as stated loud and clear) to give everyone a 'chance to impress' and that he found James Rutter and Meslier did indeed 'impress'

Now I'm definitely not Einstein reet - But if E = mc2, what does that tell me DF thinks of CC Joseph Joffy ? Or to put it another easier way - Did those 3 impress him ???

And i apologise profusely if that sounds condescending, but to me it's as simple as ABC or QED whichever one you want.
Not condescending at all. And Yes, I may well have answered my own question Ken. (I like having conversations with myself - seldom too much disagreement that way)

But seen as you quoted dear ol' Einstein - I'll do the same - he was the dude who said repeating something multiple times and expecting a different result is a sign of insanity.
So the question is relative - is Bamford 'impressing' him more than Joseph? Is Cooper 'impressing' him more than Charlie? If so, the 2 youngsters must be pretty poor right now, because Coops and Bamford have been pretty poor (when not injured) imho.

DF must get to a point when he realizes a guy like Coops or Paddy can no longer deliver in the heat of battle. He's not likely there yet as he doesn't really have a solid back up to Pascal, in particular. But if we could acquire one on January that outlook may change. He must be weary of the fact too that he has 2 backline players who are on loan. If we can get Rodon permanent and maybe Spense - once we see what he can do - we may see different starting lineups.

I've always been loyal to the old guard - Coops, Luke, Bamford - but a point is reached when sentiment must be given up. Joseph, Gelly, Shackleton and Charlie (even Poveda) can be part of the next few seasons - the old geezers cant. If these kids aren't up to snuff in attitude terms, then get rid of them and bring in some who do have the right attitude. But if he has some faith in them, they must get some of the playtime the old geezers are currently getting - no? Its not as if Paddy is scoring goals at will when he comes on!

It did concern me that in today's press conference, he felt Firpo played OK last Friday night. WTF? But again - answering my own question - I think he feels he doesn't have adequate depth in all positions yet.

I reckon tomorrow's starting 11 will be back to the pre-international break one. But I'd like to see Spense come on and someone other than Paddy up front.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Clearing players out doesn't happen overneet.

So you pick what you consider your best 11 to get a job done with what you've got available to you.

At least that's how i'd do it
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DF has a depth chart and up to now bar once we haven't had need for our 4th CB. We did need him v Brum and he played very well alongside Struijk.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Has barely kicked a ball since January 1st

You could tell.

Good servant.

Absolutely finished at this level.

Should not be starting games ahead of Cresswell.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bit unfair as Rodon is in a great position the get the block in but he's not taking flak.... Didn't Coop play a good 90 v a good Chelsea team alongside Rodon in late January ?

Cresswell is a right sided CB, We'd have to switch Rodon
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 pm Bit unfair as Rodon is in a great position the get the block in but he's not taking flak.... Didn't Coop play a good 90 v a good Chelsea team alongside Rodon in late January ?

Cresswell is a right sided CB, We'd have to switch Rodon
Don't think it's unfair.

Our goals against leaps when Cooper starts

1.45 conceded per game with.

Less than 1 without.

3 clean sheets in 11

Don't think it's a coincidence
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22 pm

You could tell.

Good servant.

I'm hoping Farke finally realises, an alternative solution is required, as was the case starting with Ayling in the early weeks of this season.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:53 pm I'm hoping Farke finally realises, an alternative solution is required, as was the case starting with Ayling in the early weeks of this season.
Connor talks any old bollocks for subscribers. Cooper always struggles against pace. But Rodon could have done better when the shot came in. Dennis has that bit of virtuoso skill in his locker, a lot of clubs were looking at him when Watford were in the prem.
People always jump on Coops because he is an easy target. Bar Summerville the team were all pretty s**t for the first half.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22 pm

You could tell.

Good servant.

Not really a fan of Connor. But I did too wonder what Cooper was doing raising his arm in hope of an offside.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:43 am Not really a fan of Connor. But I did too wonder what Cooper was doing raising his arm in hope of an offside.
It is a natural reaction for many defenders when they know they are in trouble.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:20 am It is a natural reaction for many defenders when they know they are in trouble.
He was hailing a cab I think.
I’m a slow footballer get me out of here.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 pm Don't think it's unfair.

Our goals against leaps when Cooper starts

1.45 conceded per game with.

Less than 1 without.

3 clean sheets in 11

Don't think it's a coincidence
I'm not saying he should start but he wasn't really to blame for yesterdays two goals anymore than Rodon was... The stat seems to slightly flawed as there cannot be that much data for a Coop/Rodon partnership this season

We'd have likely have conceded goals with Cresswell RCB and Rodon LCB, it probably gets worse with Cresswell as the LCB and again Rodon and Coop to blame for their second in equal measure. No blame attached to the first
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:36 pm I'm not saying he should start but he wasn't really to blame for yesterdays two goals anymore than Rodon was... The stat seems to slightly flawed as there cannot be that much data for a Coop/Rodon partnership this season

We'd have likely have conceded goals with Cresswell RCB and Rodon LCB, it probably gets worse with Cresswell as the LCB and again Rodon and Coop to blame for their second in equal measure. No blame attached to the first
Coops got done pace once again, as he did at Southampton, his positioning isn't great to allow for his lack of pace. In the air, Liam is excellent, wins lots of defensive headers as he did last night, on the ground he's another Ayling whose better days have gone. Getting old comes to us all, unfortunately.

A little worrying fact here:

Three of the goals we've conceded in 2024, have come about when leaving a man unmarked at the back post.

As soon as I saw the line-up, I knew we wouldn't keep a clean sheet.

When was the last time we conceded two goals in a championship match?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:53 am He was hailing a cab I think.
I’m a slow footballer get me out of here.
Coops often does it, play to the whistle FFS.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:07 pm Coops got done pace once again, as he did at Southampton, his positioning isn't great to allow for his lack of pace. In the air, Liam is excellent, wins lots of defensive headers as he did last night, on the ground he's another Ayling whose better days have gone. Getting old comes to us all, unfortunately.

A little worrying fact here:

Three of the goals we've conceded in 2024, have come about when leaving a man unmarked at the back post.

As soon as I saw the line-up, I knew we wouldn't keep a clean sheet.

When was the last time we conceded two goals in a championship match?
But you need a man on the line and Coop did his job for the initial shot.... there's no fault for the first goal. And the second is 50/50 with Coop and Rodon both making errors ... Rodon was in great position to stop that shot and didn't imo ..

I hate attaching blame to goals unless obvious so it's not a dig at Rodon who was superb but a statement of fact.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:43 am Not really a fan of Connor. But I did too wonder what Cooper was doing raising his arm in hope of an offside.
It was bizarre

But more worrying that it shows he had completely lost his bearings on the pitch.

Not a good characteristic in a cb
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:27 pm It was bizarre

But more worrying that it shows he had completely lost his bearings on the pitch.

Not a good characteristic in a cb
Especially as Dennis was a mile onside, a desperate appeal.

Look forward to the play-offs, if Coops remains at the heart of our defence.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:59 pm But you need a man on the line and Coop did his job for the initial shot.... there's no fault for the first goal. And the second is 50/50 with Coop and Rodon both making errors ... Rodon was in great position to stop that shot and didn't imo ..

I hate attaching blame to goals unless obvious so it's not a dig at Rodon who was superb but a statement of fact.
The fact remains, we concede goals when Cooper starts.

Does he fit into our style?
Is he a good fit alongside either Rodon or Ampadu?
Or is Coops just unlucky we concede goals when he plays?
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:04 pm The fact remains, we concede goals when Cooper starts.

Unfortunately for Cooper and the rest of the team, the two games where we have conceded a two or three goals (Soton and Watford) are about the only times the opposition has played with three very attack minded players and put us under pressure from the off.
So it makes Coopers ‘stats’ look worse.
I can’t think of another team that has taken the game to us when Rodon has partnered Ampadu.

Edit: Leicester at home was possibly the other time another team came at us.
Last edited by Finnatic on Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:04 pm The fact remains, we concede goals when Cooper starts.

What happened to Kenny btw. Just asking because he was calling for this a couple of weeks ago when we had options. Cooper at the back Ampadu in midfield.