Mateusz Klich

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Re: Player Profile : Mateusz Klich

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 pm Kind of wishing we still had Klich until the end of the season. I admit that he was past his best and that it was about time for him to move on.

But looking at the Wolves game today he could have really offered something extra. For much of the game, we were crying out for a 3rd midfielder. McKennie, Roca, and Adams all play much deeper. Aaronson is too advanced and too lightweight.

Klich fills that in between role better than anyone else. He can link up between the middle and the attack. We got a player who's higher profile and will hopefully have better years ahead of him in McKennie. With Adams injured, he's even more crucial to fill in defensively now. But I still think there was a place for Klich in this squad until the end of the season. We offloaded him 6 months too early.
Hey Andrew, not sure how much MLS you watch.

Klich has mostly been good for DC United so far. Obviously it's a lower level than the Premier League. His Sofascore rating has gone from a very average 6.51 in the Premier League to a very respectable 7.27 in MLS. But that score is the 60th best score in a league with 39 teams.

Point being, I think you are correct. He still has some gas in the tank. He could have helped Leeds until the end of the season.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 pm Hey Andrew, not sure how much MLS you watch.

Klich has mostly been good for DC United so far. Obviously it's a lower level than the Premier League. His Sofascore rating has gone from a very average 6.51 in the Premier League to a very respectable 7.27 in MLS. But that score is the 60th best score in a league with 39 teams.

Point being, I think you are correct. He still has some gas in the tank. He could have helped Leeds until the end of the season.
He's not what he was during promotion and during PL season #1. But I'd still see him as a starter in different set ups. If we play 4-4-2, there's no place for him. In a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, he could still start. Against weaker teams, I'd like to see a more natural team. But for midfield solidity, I'd love to still have Klich until the end of the season.

I'm sure you caught all that chatter he gave about leaving because Marsch wouldn't play him. I think Javi would use him more if he had him.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:46 pm He's not what he was during promotion and during PL season #1. But I'd still see him as a starter in different set ups. If we play 4-4-2, there's no place for him. In a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, he could still start. Against weaker teams, I'd like to see a more natural team. But for midfield solidity, I'd love to still have Klich until the end of the season.

I'm sure you caught all that chatter he gave about leaving because Marsch wouldn't play him. I think Javi would use him more if he had him.
Yes I saw that. And I agree that he would have stayed if Marsch had been fired earlier.

It was always a win/win scenario for me as a supporter of both Leeds United and DC United. But taken on balance I would have liked to see him stay at Leeds until the end of the season.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:52 pm Yes I saw that. And I agree that he would have stayed if Marsch had been fired earlier.

It was always a win/win scenario for me as a supporter of both Leeds United and DC United. But taken on balance I would have liked to see him stay at Leeds until the end of the season.
He was playing for DC here in Coachella the same day Marsch got fired. I wanted to go and get a photo. I was going to yell "You can come back to Leeds now." But my boss had other ideas and called me into work. Hopefully he comes and plays in LA at some point.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 pm He was playing for DC here in Coachella the same day Marsch got fired. I wanted to go and get a photo. I was going to yell "You can come back to Leeds now." But my boss had other ideas and called me into work. Hopefully he comes and plays in LA at some point.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I recall you telling that story before. That would have been fun. And MLS is still small enough that we have some access to players in pre-season.
Football/Futbol/Soccer