Willie Bell - RIP

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Willie Bell - RIP

Post by 1964white »

Willie was a rugged left-back, saw him play many times, never realised he scored several goals in his seven years stint at Leeds. I'm sure our golden Oldie fans on here will remember him, he was hard as nuts.

I seem to recall Willie owned an Off-licence shop in Pudsey :duno:

RIP Willie

Screenshot 2023-03-22 22.30.46.png

Leeds United are saddened to learn of the passing of former defender Willie Bell at the age of 85.

Bell passed away at his home yesterday, surrounded by his family, following a brief illness.

Born in Johnstone, Scotland, in 1937, Willie played for hometown side Johnstone Boys, before being signed by Queen’s Park in 1958.

Following a successful trial at Leeds United, he joined the club on a permanent basis and went onto make 260 appearances for the club, scoring 18 goals, in all competitions, over a seven-year spell.

He made his debut for Leeds against Leyton Orient on 7th September 1960 in the Second Division, at Elland Road and scored his first goal in a 7-0 victory over Lincoln City in April 1961.

By the 1963/64 season, Bell had firmly established himself in the side at left-back, following a conversion from a half-back and played 35 league games for Leeds, as the Whites were crowned Second Division champions.

The following season, he scored his first top-flight goal in a 3-3 away draw at Sunderland and helped Don Revie’s side finish as runners-up in the First Division, before lining up at Wembley for the Whites, after helping the club reach the FA Cup final for the first time.

Bell remained a key part of the side which again finished as First Division runners-up in 1965/66 and in his final full season, he played in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final against Dinamo Zagreb.

The full-back also earned his two international caps for Scotland in 1966, coming up against Portugal and Brazil.

Bell’s final match for Leeds came against Everton on 16th September 1967, as the Whites ran out one-nil winners at Goodison Park in the top-flight.

He went on to have spells at Leicester City and Brighton & Hove Albion after his time at Elland Road, before going on to manage Birmingham City and Lincoln City, after his playing career.

In 1979, Bell emigrated to the United States where he continued coaching at Liberty University, until retirement, and afterwards voluntarily at a local school until his final illness.

Our thoughts are with Willie’s widow Pat, his three children, Bill, Andrew and Caroline, and his seven grandchildren, along with his friends at this difficult time.
1964white

Re: Willie Bell - RIP

Post by 1964white »

Sadly, there are not many with us any longer from the Revie-era. :(
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

Good solid full back in the 60's mould.
Eventually lost his place to the more attack minded former winger Terry Cooper.
An important part in the side that first established itself in the top division.
RIP
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jimstorrie wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:39 am Good solid full back in the 60's mould.
Eventually lost his place to the more attack minded former winger Terry Cooper.
An important part in the side that first established itself in the top division.
RIP
I knew you'd remember dear old Willie, you used to play alongside him, Jim :lol:

I recall Jim hobbling around the Wembley pitch with his leg hanging off in the 1965 cup final against Liverpool, no substitutes then of course!
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

RIP Willie.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:45 pm Sadly, there are not many with us any longer from the Revie-era. :(
RIP Willie

Just before my time Leon, I was around 5 years old in 1967 when I started supporting Leeds. So sadly can't remember Willie.

I still feel privileged to have lived through all our great years with our best players and manager.

Nothing has come anywhere near that since the 70s for me.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:10 am RIP Willie

Just before my time Leon, I was around 5 years old in 1967 when I started supporting Leeds. So sadly can't remember Willie.

I still feel privileged to have lived through all our great years with our best players and manager.

Nothing has come anywhere near that since the 70s for me.

Indeed James.

Some fans would argue the case for the Wilko-era, which was good at that time, but it was short-lived.

That 70's Leeds side was world-class.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

From days when footballers were men and not nancys.Remember him with cliff mason another hard man.