Squad Needs: What's missing?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Squad Needs: What's missing?

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:37 am Why do some on here always try to compare our players with all time greats? Please give another example of someone over 30 who's returned to the top level after over a year out injured. We're not a charity chase, we've already gone down that route for Forshaw.
Eriksen was out for a considerable time with something extremely serious but returned to the top level. Countless players have a bad injury and return to a decent level. Yes it would be foolish to expect Dallas to return to his pre-injury level but also foolish to write him off too. Far too early to judge him either way.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Clacton White wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:38 am Cody Drameh must be worth a go next season , I think at best Ayling should be third choice or a sub.
An attacking midfielder or Gary Mac type , someone who sees the game , can control and dictate.I don't think there are many of those now .
Generally , club wise .....a decent director of football, someone who actually knows what they are doing and what player types are needed .....and one who is actually professional and doesn't get involved with arguements with fans 😀
OK. I'll concede that. I should change my #1 priority to a DOF
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

For me the priority is definately a midfield play maker, someone to play those killer passes which we have been missing for a couple of seasons.

Another big issue for me is someone who can take free kicks. Since Raph left, I only see Greenwood who is strong in this area. Most teams can always rely on a few direct free kicks to add to a seasons go tally. We don't seem to compete at all in this area.

As for left back, I would hold fire now. Firpo has improved some what, and hopefully Dallas will make a return next season. My long term solution would be give Hejlde a chance, he is currently doing very well at Rotherham.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Jimang wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:31 pm For me the priority is definately a midfield play maker, someone to play those killer passes which we have been missing for a couple of seasons.

Another big issue for me is someone who can take free kicks. Since Raph left, I only see Greenwood who is strong in this area. Most teams can always rely on a few direct free kicks to add to a seasons go tally. We don't seem to compete at all in this area.

As for left back, I would hold fire now. Firpo has improved some what, and hopefully Dallas will make a return next season. My long term solution would be give Hejlde a chance, he is currently doing very well at Rotherham.
Seriously. When was the last time we scored a direct free kick?
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:22 pm Seriously. When was the last time we scored a direct free kick?
I’d be interested in this answer and was wondering the same during the wolves game, I’d hazard a guess at raphinha been the last. We know what’s coming every time we hear a commentator say it’s a free kick in a really dangerous position, always wide, high or at the wall - it’s a hard thing to do but I’d expect 1 or 2 a season.
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

The big outlay in the summer has to be for a playmaker, someone who can play the advanced MF role, a goal threat # 8.
Then we've got to keep the pipeline flowing with youngish gems to replace the outgoings such as Llorente, Drameh & James.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

We need pace at the back. Particularly at RB and LB. People think Firpo has improved. Perhaps a tad but he is not defender. Like Ayling he struggles against pace and there is a lot of wide players with pace these days.
Arsenal if they have Saka and Martinelli in their line up they will cause us huge issues on the flanks.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

As an American, I’ve had a casual interest in Fulham throughout the years beginning with the Brian McBride days. I’m amazed by what they were able to accomplish in the summer transfer window, particularly in nabbing Pereira and Palinha in midfield. Could you imagine if we had them instead of Roca and Aaronson? Aside from saving in transfer fees, we’d be far more formidable in midfield, excelling in the transition from defense to attack, while being far more lethal in attack.

Fulham also has much more dynamism from its Fullbacks in my opinion and, while I’m happy to see the resurgence from Firpo, I’d still prefer an upgrade there.

Another Target Man also makes sense.

So that’s a CF, AMC, C/DM, LB and RB for me.

As far as initial personnel to target? I think fertile ground for Javi would be looking at his native Spain. Villarreal, in particular has some players that intrigue…Pedraza, a former Leeds player, offers more dynamism than Firpo at LB, IMHO. And Javi’s former C/DM maestro at Watford, Etienne Capoue, is there…although he’s getting up there in age and I’d only rate him as someone who can contribute for a season at most. But he can be a great mentor for Gyabi, Adams, etc. And perhaps Villarreal might want Roca as part of a transfer agreement?

Another C/DM type that I rate is Yunus Musah of Valencia. Absolute stud and might make sense to add him to the midfield given the familiarity with McKennie (assuming we stay up and the transfer goes through) and Adams (assuming he stays). Musah is keen to get back to England (former Arsenal Academy player) and played under Javi during his time at Valencia. His game is very similar to Capoue, IMHO.

Another LB whose highlights jump out is Milos Kerkez from AZ Alkmaar (thanks Cjay). Kid looks like a real player and a likely upgrade over Firpo.

Gyokeres has been mentioned ad nauseam as a “target” at Target Man and definitely looks the part.

So there’s my initial thoughts. I think that upgrading those areas will invariably create a bit of churn, which is probably necessary if we are seeking to rise up the table.

And here’s a wild thought…what if Phillips and Raphina want to come back? And perhaps Richarlson wants a Gracia reunion given Conte’s status. I mean, it’s 49er money after all, right?
Last edited by JoeDenver on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

hector wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:36 am There was a player yesterday for Wolves that could do the job

Nevez ?? is that his name
He'd be perfect for the role. Free agent i believe aswell.
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

CanuckMightyWhite wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:55 pm The big outlay in the summer has to be for a playmaker, someone who can play the advanced MF role, a goal threat # 8.
Then we've got to keep the pipeline flowing with youngish gems to replace the outgoings such as Llorente, Drameh & James.
Llorente and James are only on loan , they may return.
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Jimstorrie wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:17 pm Llorente and James are only on loan , they may return.
True, although I think the club will look to offload them.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CanuckMightyWhite wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:26 pm True, although I think the club will look to offload them.
That was the plan. Both were loan to buy.

Word on McKennie was that 10 apps would trigger the sale. Although there's probably a relegation get out too. Wonder if that's the case with our loans out.

But. I also wonder what Javi thinks of James. I always said his Leeds career wasn't necessarily over. That a different manager who likes wingers might still want him. In Javi's 442, he'd probably be a useful 2nd striker.