Weston McKennie

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Weston McKennie- WELCOME

Post by weasel »

Struth it's a yankee invasion, on the pitch, off the pitch and even here. Suppose can't be worse than some of the local yokels :twisted:

Seriously though it's great for the club to have fans all over the world especially those who are able to give us insight on the quality of new signings that we don't know uch about. Zurich White was spot on with his assessment of Wilfried Gnonto, hopefully you are too and we have another good signing on our hands.

Don't suppose you know any decent American managers, we are in need of one.
Far North
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Far North »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:38 am Welcome, decent first post, i was looking for a bit of in-depth from someone that claims to know him well and that'll do for the time being, i tend to use my eyes not stats and know fck all about Weston apart from he caught my eye in the WC v England, so that's a good start, going off the you tube SSN above he seems a very grounded individual and not your typical loudmouthed Jesse, Trump lovin type Yank ;-)

Give it us straight like Paul seems to do (we know he's secretly aching for Jesse to pull through) and you'll find it's great craic here, there are quite a few boring fckers and lurkers that you'll weed out for yourself and some quality that will give it to you straight.

Please take any personal attacks personally :tup:
Personality-wise, McKennie is kind of a goofball who doesn't take himself too seriously. He's going to be a talkative guy who jokes around a lot in the dressing room and will be good for an irreverent quote here and there. I think he can be a little annoying to some teammates, but its a good-natured kind of annoying, you know?

On the pitch, he is good for a moment or two per match where you ask "what the hell are you doing Wes?" But he's good for a handful more moments per match where you ask "how the hell did that come off?" He has good defensive instincts and has a knack for coming out of a scrum with the ball. He'll create a few more chances for Leeds in the counterpress with those qualities. He's deceptively clever with the ball and in combination with others. The Premier League player he reminds me of most is Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg, but with a little more attacking flair and athleticism and a little less defensive chops.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome. I hope you all enjoy the Wes experience as much as I do!
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:38 am Welcome, decent first post, i was looking for a bit of in-depth from someone that claims to know him well and that'll do for the time being, i tend to use my eyes not stats and know fck all about Weston apart from he caught my eye in the WC v England, so that's a good start, going off the you tube SSN above he seems a very grounded individual and not your typical loudmouthed Jesse, Trump lovin type Yank ;-)

Give it us straight like Paul seems to do (we know he's secretly aching for Jesse to pull through) and you'll find it's great craic here, there are quite a few boring fckers and lurkers that you'll weed out for yourself and some quality that will give it to you straight.

Please take any personal attacks personally :tup:
I would LOVE it if Jesse pulls through. But in order for him to do that we need to win games. And the football has to be fun to watch. Which I think it can be with the players we now have. But as always the results will speak for themselves. If it's s**t he will be gone. And I will be absolutely fine with that.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by King Hennessy »

As another Murrican who has watched Mckennie for some time for country and club, I will give my 2 cents on the player you all are getting. He's a firecracker of a personality, and he plays hard and has an engine on him. On the United States national team, besides Adams, no one else covers more ground when fit. Another box to box guy who isn't afraid to get physical, play some defense, get scrappy, talk a little trash, and has fun out there. The big knock on him at Juve from the fans was his technical ability, and passing. He isn't the most technical consistently but he will show moments of technical brilliance and make beautiful passes, and then turn around and make passes that will leave you screaming at the TV like TF ARE YOU DOING! Hes still young, 24 years old and I feel is going to start hitting his prime. You are getting him at a good time. I believe he's starting to get in form. He was injured right before the world cup and wasn't fully fit for the world cup. He came back from the world cup and has been a main stay in the Juve lineup. Their is a reason Pirlo and Allegri rate him highly. He's a big game player. He isn't a prolific goal scorer by any stretch but he has goals in him. He makes magnificent runs in the box and is great in the air. He has 4 champions league goals, 2 of them this season. He doesn't shy from the moment. Just like anyone, he may struggle at first making the jump to the premier league, but I feel this system suits him better then the Juve system. With Adams, and Aaronson as his teammates I'm sure he will get up to speed quick. Mckennie is an up and down player. He will have bad performances, but I feel he will have a lot more good then bad ones. I believe he's definitely an upgrade over roca. More pace, more of an offensive threat, he will have more impact on the game. I'm excited to watch the rest of the season. GO LEEDS!
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by King Hennessy »

I also want to add that he's been quite versatile. He started as a Center back at Schalke in the Bundesliga. He's had played a lot of Right midfielder for Juve, and the national team. This year he's been mostly a center mid for Juve and has played Right wing Back the last couple of games. I believe his best position is out wide on the right as a midfielder. Juve gave him the #8 jersey this season and felt he was their best Center Mid, so I'm intrigued to see just how Jesse is going to use him. He has dabbled in the #10 role at times, but I do feel he would be great in the double pivot role alongside adams. I'm excited to see how he fits in with Sini, Gnonto, Summerville, Aaronson, Rutter, Bamford, Rodders, etc...
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

King Hennessy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:13 pm I also want to add that he's been quite versatile. He started as a Center back at Schalke in the Bundesliga. He's had played a lot of Right midfielder for Juve, and the national team. This year he's been mostly a center mid for Juve and has played Right wing Back the last couple of games. I believe his best position is out wide on the right as a midfielder. Juve gave him the #8 jersey this season and felt he was their best Center Mid, so I'm intrigued to see just how Jesse is going to use him. He has dabbled in the #10 role at times, but I do feel he would be great in the double pivot role alongside adams. I'm excited to see how he fits in with Sini, Gnonto, Summerville, Aaronson, Rutter, Bamford, Rodders, etc...
Thanks for all that info King. Good to hear a bit more about him. I was in the States during part of the world cup and watched the USA games along with my American friends, and i liked what i saw of him. Not a world beater by any means but glad he has come to us.

Welcome to the forum, along with all its madness :lol:
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by King Hennessy »

GreennWhite wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:14 pm Thanks for all that info King. Good to hear a bit more about him. I was in the States during part of the world cup and watched the USA games along with my American friends, and i liked what i saw of him. Not a world beater by any means but glad he has come to us.

Welcome to the forum, along with all its madness :lol:
Yes, honestly I had wanted Aaronson ahead of Mckennie for the world cup because Aaronson had been starting all season for Leeds, and Mckennie was just coming off injury and wasn't fully fit. I was a bit disappointed Aaronson didn't get a start, but Mckennie is no slouch and played really well against England in my opinion. I love me some madness from time to time lol. I Appreciate the warm welcome, and I hope with the added additions in January Leeds can get themselves well above the relegation zone.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

He's overweight, seems slow, and can't pass, tackle or retain possession. We looked worse when he came on for Roca.

43FD160C-1422-4824-B83E-73E20D144593.jpeg
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SaraM wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 pm He's overweight, seems slow, and can't pass, tackle or retain possession. We looked worse when he came on for Roca.

When that patriotic yank spouted about McKennis being bigger than the club maybe he was basing it on belly size.

McKennie may be better than the club, but that is only because Marsch has made the club absolutely awful.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 pm He's overweight, seems slow, and can't pass, tackle or retain possession. We looked worse when he came on for Roca.

That has to be a photoshop surely? :lol:

Early days but he certainly didn't look much good.

Reports from Juventus weren't great

Fitness has been questioned before.

Just have to hope he improves and Tyler gets him to get his fitness under control.

Didn't look a £30-40mil player by any stretch of the imagination in his cameo.

Hopefully improvement will come.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Can't base bugger all on a 25 minute cameo, I wouldn't have started him either, hindsight is a great thing, he did nowt in 25 so why would he do it in 90 ?
Best break him in gently, if, JM had started him and he did nothing, imagine the outcry !!
He needs to get in shape and up to speed with PL football, sharpish, otherwise the loan will be exactly that.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:25 pm That has to be a photoshop surely? :lol:

Early days but he certainly didn't look much good.

Reports from Juventus weren't great

Fitness has been questioned before.

Just have to hope he improves and Tyler gets him to get his fitness under control.

Didn't look a £30-40mil player by any stretch of the imagination in his cameo.

Hopefully improvement will come.
Probably a stretch to think a fat American playboy could have made a big difference today but joking (not) aside I wasn’t all that impressed.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Maybe, a tad, but this isn't. He's definitely carrying body fat when you compare him to someone like Harrison. Seems like an attitude thing if he's not kept himself in shape.

23F600AC-235A-495B-BBD8-2BDB3E59E383.png
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Indeed we did, Sara.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:05 pm Maybe, a tad, but this isn't. He's definitely carrying body fat when you compare him to someone like Harrison. Seems like an attitude thing if he's not kept himself in shape.

23F600AC-235A-495B-BBD8-2BDB3E59E383.png
Tbf that could just be his body type.

Doesn't necessarily mean he is out of shape (especially the top one).

But his fitness and professionalism has been questioned before

Early days

Don't want to get on his back to much.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I thought he looked overweight.

That horrible shirt doesn't flatter anyone, even worse worn by our fans.

Whoever agreed to that design should be fired immediately.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:19 pm I thought he looked overweight.

Here he is telling two absolute legends who played at the top level well into there 30s (Chiellini and Buffon) about his diet.

I think I see the problem :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:19 pm I thought he looked overweight.

It was Jesse😁
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Didn’t see too much desire or any attitude. Any bite in the tackle. Just looks like another who might not care enough. We need a really hard nosed gaffer to come in and start kicking some arse. Talking American now
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:33 am Didn’t see too much desire or any attitude. Any bite in the tackle. Just looks like another who might not care enough. We need a really hard nosed gaffer to come in and start kicking some arse. Talking American now
A gaffer that trains his players to the peak of fitness making them earn their meagre salaries, weigh them daily, have routine, get them focussed on themselves and what they can do in a team and pick some litter up ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)