The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th November) Are radical changes necessary for Leeds to climb the table

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th November) Are radical changes necessary for Leeds to climb the table

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 24th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Are radical changes necessary for Leeds to climb the table

With the emergence of young talent at Elland Road, it has been suggested that some of the old guard are starting to fall down the pecking order. Whilst faithful servants to the club, there comes a time when age catches up on the best of us. There have been few complaints regarding the Summer signings, but with Leeds hovering dangerously close to the drop zone, is it time to look at replacing the old guard?

Cooper (31), Bamford (29), Ayling (31), Klich (32), Dallas (31), Forshaw (31) and Rodrigo (31) are costing Leeds over a million pounds a month in salaries, with only Rodrigo showing the kind of form to justify his pay check. Are radical changes necessary for the club to move to the next level, or does experience go a long way in the top flight?

Orta eyes Nigerian International

Victor Orta has been alerted that Nigerian International defender Ola Aina may be available during the January transfer window. The versatile full back (who can play on either flank or indeed midfield) tops Torino's 'Whoscored' chart with a modest 6.74 rating. So far this season, the 26 year old has amassed 582 minutes of game time from seven starts and three substitute appearance.

Born in London, Aina came through Chelsea's youth ranks, and represented the young Lions all the way up to U20 level, when he switched allegiance to Nigeria. He joined Torino in 2019, but was shipped out on loan to Fulham the following year (20-21), during which they were relegated. Aina's contract expires next Summer, and having refused a new two year could be shipped out in January for a minimal fee.

Dallas comeback in sight

Seven months on from fracturing his femur, Start Dallas' comeback has been pencilled in. The 31 year old has been working closely with the physio's at Thorp Arch, rebuilding both his fitness and the strength in his leg following lengthy surgery back in May. The horrific injury could have put pay to his footballing career, but the Northern Ireland International is made of sterner stuff. Miraculously, he returned to the training ground back in August, and continuous to make fantastic progress, so much so, that a return to action could be expected towards the end of the year / beginning of January. During a recent Interview, Marsch was quoted as saying...

Stuart's making great progress as well and we'll see how that goes. But maybe we can get him on the pitch at some point towards the end of December, early January.

How will Dallas's comeback effect the dynamics at ER

With Stuart Dallas' comeback in sight, how will this effect the dynamics at Elland Road? What happens to Junior Firpo? Does he get pushed further down the pecking order, or should Leeds look to offload him in the New Year? What about Struijk? He's done a sterling job at left back. If, and when Dallas returns to full fitness, does Struijk get dropped, or will he replace one of the centre backs? Should Dallas' return to action effect the search for a new younger fitter model, at least until next Summer?

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th November) Are radical changes necessary for Leeds to climb the table

Post by lufc1304 »

None of those experienced players, unless they expressly ask to, should be shipped out in January. For me, the summer is the time to assess what we have, what is surplus and what we might be able to bring in. Experience definitely counts for something, so I'd personally only let Klich (if he hasn't gone already) and Forshaw go, and perhaps cash in on Rodrigo if his fine scoring form continues. Stuarty Dallas will have to prove himself, but the rest I'd keep as depth, can all offer something from the bench.

Aina may be worth a punt if the fee is nominal, but he doesn't sound that impressive.

As I said above, Dallas will have to prove himself, so I don't see his return to fitness having any impact in the short term. Again, the summer feels like the time to make an assessment on him.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th November) Are radical changes necessary for Leeds to climb the table

Post by Tighthead »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:32 am None of those experienced players, unless they expressly ask to, should be shipped out in January. For me, the summer is the time to assess what we have, what is surplus and what we might be able to bring in. Experience definitely counts for something, so I'd personally only let Klich (if he hasn't gone already) and Forshaw go, and perhaps cash in on Rodrigo if his fine scoring form continues. Stuarty Dallas will have to prove himself, but the rest I'd keep as depth, can all offer something from the bench.

Aina may be worth a punt if the fee is nominal, but he doesn't sound that impressive.

As I said above, Dallas will have to prove himself, so I don't see his return to fitness having any impact in the short term. Again, the summer feels like the time to make an assessment on him.
perhaps cash in on Rodrigo if his fine scoring form continues.

If his form continues, I would not sell our main striker.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

31 isnt old in football terms. If a player looks after himself he can go on.

I was always impressed by Cooper and Dallas who quit alcohol when Bielsa came in.
Look after yourself and extend the career.

Leeds would be mad to ship those lads out in January, we need them all.
Reassess in the summer under no pressure.

Dallas if fit ( doubtful for me but here's hoping)

Perfect sub and rotation player. Jesse lacks bench options in CM and defence currently.
Forshaw will help too, especially as Roca cant get past 70 mins without running out of gas.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

With Forshaw you have to factor in the amount of time he is injured, which seems all the time. So, I would let him go.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Problem is we get rid of these players, who are we replacing them with? It can't be players whose highest level of experience is u21s football.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

Tighthead wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 am With Forshaw you have to factor in the amount of time he is injured, which seems all the time. So, I would let him go.

I think Forshaw's contract expires at the end of this season.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I'd let forshaw go tomorrow, klich if he desires, no point keeping an unhappy player, the rest until summer, having said that, Ayling & Dallas have what it take for back up for another season.
Rodrigo, well, if he's still scoring, we can ill afford to off-load as we all know we won't buy a replacement, he is a luxury mind, catch 22 scenario.
Theres also harrison to think about, he's doing nothing.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

In short, yes changes need to be made and very soon. Its always difficult to make the decisions that players are no longer the first choice but in reality it has to happen. As time goes on players like Ayling and Cooper can no longer produce the levels required to compete in the Premier League. Forshaw is always injured, Bamford is another drawing big money and constantly seeking medical attention. Will Dallas be able to produce after he comes back and at 31 will he be the same player.
On the plus side we have some shining lights right under our noses.
An example of this has to be Cody Dremah who has not only won player of the year in the championship with Cardiff and now faces being third choice behind Aylng. This is absolute criminal behavior, is Ayling better than Cody?, could Ayling go out on loan and win player of the year?, highly unlikely imo. Pascal Struijk is our best CB, Leo Hjelde is a great defender and improving fast.
The point I am making is that we have players that are capable of filling some of the required positions without compromising the quality. We need investment in the squad and this requires moving long standing players that have given us good service and in turn we have paid them handsomely. The old guard has done a fine job but father time waits for no man.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Musicman1965 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:57 pm In short, yes changes need to be made and very soon. Its always difficult to make the decisions that players are no longer the first choice but in reality it has to happen. As time goes on players like Ayling and Cooper can no longer produce the levels required to compete in the Premier League. Forshaw is always injured, Bamford is another drawing big money and constantly seeking medical attention. Will Dallas be able to produce after he comes back and at 31 will he be the same player.
An example of this has to be Cody Dremah who has not only won player of the year in the championship with Cardiff and now faces being third choice behind Aylng. This is absolute criminal behavior, is Ayling better than Cody?, could Ayling go out on loan and win player of the year?, highly unlikely imo. Pascal Struijk is our best CB, Leo Hjelde is a great defender and improving fast.
The point I am making is that we have players that are capable of filling some of the required positions without compromising the quality. We need investment in the squad and this requires moving long standing players that have given us good service and in turn we have paid them handsomely. The old guard has done a fine job but father time waits for no man.
:clap: Well said, no room for sentiment.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

We are 14 games into a 38 game season. A long way to go and 3 players will have World Cup mileage in their legs.
The squad is threadbare as it is and we always seem to be 2 or 3 injuries/suspensions away from panic.
We need more players coming in than going out.
Rodrigo is an absolute must keep. Goals =Points.

Age profile of the squad is very young. The influence of the older guys around the T Arch is very important. That’s why we bought another keeper in the Summer.

Hope Dallas can scale his previous levels. He has been fantastic for us.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Musicman1965 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:57 pm In short, yes changes need to be made and very soon. Its always difficult to make the decisions that players are no longer the first choice but in reality it has to happen. As time goes on players like Ayling and Cooper can no longer produce the levels required to compete in the Premier League. Forshaw is always injured, Bamford is another drawing big money and constantly seeking medical attention. Will Dallas be able to produce after he comes back and at 31 will he be the same player.
I'm of similar mind on Drameh. A lot of respect for Ayling. He's been great for us. He can still do a decent job this season. But Drameh is ready for more game time. ANd Ayling is blocking his path.

Dallas will be useful for us in midfield and Rodrigo is our main man at number 9 for now. Cooper will be part of our squad at least through this season. I don't see a place for Forshaw or Klich any more.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I don't agree with the 'blocking a youngster's path' as a reason for getting rid of someone. It is up to the youngster to be better than the player they want to replace not simply getting in the team because they are younger. If they are good enough then they should force their way in. If Drameh isn't good enough to be better than Ayling then why should we want to keep him, it isn't like he is 16. The answer should be to get rid of both and get someone better than either of them and ideally better than Kristensen too.

Many moons ago Venables sold Nigel Martyn to make Paul Robinson our no.1. I still think we'd have stayed up if we'd got rid of Robinson and kept Martyn.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Dallas is a midfielder, that's where I'd hope he'd be playing, off the bench to start, especially as cover for Roca and especially if Klich does go
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

If we are in a position whereby a near 32 year old coming back from an injury like he has had is a necessary option then its pathetic for a Premier League club in its 3rd season.

He should be written off for the season with anything this season a bonus.

Like Forshaw he should be treated as if he isn't here.

Both need replacing.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:39 pm Dallas is a midfielder, that's where I'd hope he'd be playing, off the bench to start, especially as cover for Roca and especially if Klich does go
Ideal sub to replace Roca.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:44 pm Ideal sub to replace Roca.
If we don’t sort the LB situation, Dallas could be wheeled out as the answer … as a stater or off the bench
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Pullhard wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:58 pm If we don’t sort the LB situation, Dallas could be wheeled out as the answer … as a stater or off the bench
I'm sure that will be classed as a new signing by Orta !
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Rook wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:09 am I think Forshaw's contract expires at the end of this season.
:shirtw:
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:50 pm If we are in a position whereby a near 32 year old coming back from an injury like he has had is a necessary option then its pathetic for a Premier League club in its 3rd season.

He should be written off for the season with anything this season a bonus.

Like Forshaw he should be treated as if he isn't here.

Both need replacing.
When his contract runs out its bye bye and thanks, but at least have the foresight to plan a replacement. Sounds like the main role for a director of football :)