Sober for October

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
velo
Manager
Manager

Re: Sober for October

Post by velo »

Madron wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:46 pm Read somewhere that only 20% of charity shop takings actually get to reach intended cause. Scam.
As for sober for october, I haven't touched a drop in 21 years. Wouldn't mind a couple of cans tbh.
Only 11% of their income has yo go to the cause, I know a local cyclist that makes a living doing charity rides, he buys a new bike for every ride and stays in top hotels !
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:46 am The pub is a great (and famous worldwide) British institution. There is no doubt that the traditional British pub is an endangered species and the fact that Supermarkets are able to sell booze so cheaply has been a major contributing factor. I believe that It would be a great shame if this marvellous institution were to be confined to history so we tend to try and support our wonderful local as much as we can and would urge people to do the same. The way I see it is that it’s a case of use them or lose them.
The demise of our pubs started long ago when the government allowed big companies like pubmaster to buy up pubs. Then charging the tenants a staggering amount of money in rent and taking part of their earnings, tying them up to certain suppliers. Going back years I helped friends, working in their pub and they had to make a ridiculous amount of money before they earned anything themselves and they were working 12 hours a day! Make no wonder people want to get out of the pub Trade.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm basically dry the other 11 months so just business as usual for me.... Until 2005 I was a big real ale drinker but that's when that went away for me so apart from the odd glass of wine or an oversweet GF lager, which is ok on hot days, I hardly partake.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Can’t blame people for using our local Wetherspoons with the cost of living being what it is. Less than £3 (under £2 for some) for a pint. But I’ve noticed in my forays up north to York & Chester that not only is the ale better & more varied but it’s much cheaper compared to the independent places around here.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:27 pm Can’t blame people for using our local Wetherspoons with the cost of living being what it is. Less than £3 (under £2 for some) for a pint. But I’ve noticed in my forays up north to York & Chester that not only is the ale better & more varied but it’s much cheaper compared to the independent places around here.
Hate to think what it costs down here then, a quick google search suggests "It has been revealed that the cost of pints in Surrey is now the most expensive in the country , overtaking London."

Was driving back from Wimbledon a couple of days ago, saw petrol there at 1.60 per litre, which AFAIK is cheaper than nearly everywhere in West Surrey, my local Sainsbury's at 1.69 per
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:31 pm Hate to think what it costs down here then, a quick google search suggests "It has been revealed that the cost of pints in Surrey is now the most expensive in the country , overtaking London."

Was driving back from Wimbledon a couple of days ago, saw petrol there at 1.60 per litre, which AFAIK is cheaper than nearly everywhere in West Surrey, my local Sainsbury's at 1.69 per
More expensive than London 😬
Unleaded is around 1.65 in Suffolk
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:51 pm More expensive than London 😬
Unleaded is around 1.65 in Suffolk
Apparently 20p more expensive on average, with a pint of Peroni being the most expensive, No Cities in Surrey of course, just "market towns"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:54 pm Apparently 20p more expensive on average, with a pint of Peroni being the most expensive, No Cities in Surrey of course, just "market towns"
Market Towns within easy reach of London are just ripping off rich people normally. Like parts of Norfolk. They target the well heeled London types
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So it seems. Farnham and Guildford are very expensive for most things tbf....
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:06 pm So it seems. Farnham and Guildford are very expensive for most things tbf....
When the wife orders a bottle of Peroni I always wince. £££
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:06 pm So it seems. Farnham and Guildford are very expensive for most things tbf....
Went through Guildford recently. One of the worst traffic systems I've ever encountered.

Beer in my local is £3.40 and it's excellent stuff. The landlord has also started selling his homebrew for £3, and that's really good too.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:17 pm Went through Guildford recently. One of the worst traffic systems I've ever encountered.

Beer in my local is £3.40 and it's excellent stuff. The landlord has also started selling his homebrew for £3, and that's really good too.
Lovely town if you get to know it but bloody hilly, the traffic system par for the course down here I'm afraid, Farnham is probably worse, Woking no better, I spend most of my life using back roads tbh
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

SaraM wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:42 am 6AB59ED5-E2D4-4DCE-99DB-4B98E8A70E6A.jpeg
Its tempting to be the Guinea pig at the bar, but don't generally mix my drinks.

The Villa game will be washed down with Irish whiskey.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:36 pm Lovely town if you get to know it but bloody hilly, the traffic system par for the course down here I'm afraid, Farnham is probably worse, Woking no better, I spend most of my life using back roads tbh
Wanted to get from Wycombe to Brighton without using the M25, so forged a pretty random back route across Surrey. Most of it was like trackways through Mirkwood, with the occasional mansion, riding school, or exclusive looking restaurant appearing out of the trees. Then there was Guildford, where we sat at a traffic light junction to turn right for about 35 minutes. Nothing was moving; the whole town seemed to be gridlocked. Eventually crawled past Anderton's Music, so I waved at the home of my newest guitar, before finally crawling back into the rainforest. Took forever, but still better than the M25.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Anything is better than the 25, yes we do have a lot of trees, a lot more than any other county..
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:31 am Spend my life sober as I only drink alcohol in moderation.
My motto:

Moderation in all things, including moderation. :)

Last time I got drunk was 45 years ago and I woke up the following morning without any memory of the night before. I swore never to let that happen again and haven't been drunk since. I still enjoy a nice cocktail, glass of wine or beer, but won't ever drink to excess again.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Well this forum looks like it’s doing it’s bear minimum to keep the pub trade and associated trades going😂

Looks like I’ll have to try harder 🍺
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:05 pm Anything is better than the 25, yes we do have a lot of trees, a lot more than any other county..
Yes, it was very noticeable... especially in the dark and the rain, it really felt like driving through a forest for about three hours.