Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- DEAL DONE

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:02 pm From reading Marsch's comments Gnonto felt like a club target to sell on.

Not someone Marsch really wanted or felt was someone we needed now.

Marsch referred to him as someone "I think we think highly of".

Suggests to me this is Orta and his young player strategy.

Marsch specifically said he wasn't Premier League ready.

Pretty clear the club have panicked and signed Gnonto as a last resort bringing maybe a plan forward 12/18months.

From what Phil said they literally ran out of options and had to do something.

It's a very poor situation they have allowed to occur and forced on Marsch and Wilfried Gnonto as well tbh.

Clearly talented but he now has to become that Premier League option immediately which is likely far to soon.

Ideally he likely needed time to settle and adapt and adjust.

He won't get that now .

It's a poor situation to bring a teenage kid into but we will need to support him.
That just doesn't make sense given that Gnonto is in the last year of his contract so he would have his pick of clubs if we waited. The Gnonto deal seemed to be one that Orta wanted to get done regardless of whether we bought someone else too but it seemed the stumbling block was the transfer fee - possibly because Orta has a budget for youth players.

It came accross more that Marsch probably doesn't see him as being premier league ready in terms of starting eveyr match as a striker. Even if Marsch didn't rate him what credentials has Marsch got for spotting young talent? Did Red Bull ask his opinion before signing players, very doubtful. As we have seen with most of our buys this summer they have been players Marsch has worked with previously, we're not seeing Marsch wanting us to sign a 17 year old that he has personally spotted, just to buy players Red Bull have let him work with.

The only reason I see for the lateness of the Gnonto deal is that it probably looked like we weren't going to be able to agree a fee with Zurich. Maybe as other deals collapsed it meant we had more money to play with so we were able to find common ground on the fee but I don't see it as a panic signing just that we weren't going to pay over the odds, but just like with Raphinha he suddenly became available at a price we found acceptable.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Also, watching his YouTube reel, I am getting some Yeboah vibes about him with the way he strikes a ball. Just hope he doesn't develop a fondness for Yorkshire puds like our beloved Yeboah did.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Not listened to any stuff about Willy. Is it Nonto or is the G loud?
Mancini is a decent judge, hope he's up to speed soon. Not at the expense of JG though.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- DEAL CLOSE

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:29 pm Btw is the dollar sign for our wonderful American friends or do the Welshies get paid to insert daffodils
I'm no expert on those primitive life forms (Welsh people) but I gather they do it for free.

Where are these wonderful American friends? You surely don't mean the rabble we get on here talking sh*te? :shock: ;-)

*** It's Friday everyone feel free to insult as many people as you can :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:31 pm That just doesn't make sense given that Gnonto is in the last year of his contract so he would have his pick of clubs if we waited. The Gnonto deal seemed to be one that Orta wanted to get done regardless of whether we bought someone else too but it seemed the stumbling block was the transfer fee - possibly because Orta has a budget for youth players.

It came accross more that Marsch probably doesn't see him as being premier league ready in terms of starting eveyr match as a striker. Even if Marsch didn't rate him what credentials has Marsch got for spotting young talent? Did Red Bull ask his opinion before signing players, very doubtful. As we have seen with most of our buys this summer they have been players Marsch has worked with previously, we're not seeing Marsch wanting us to sign a 17 year old that he has personally spotted, just to buy players Red Bull have let him work with.

The only reason I see for the lateness of the Gnonto deal is that it probably looked like we weren't going to be able to agree a fee with Zurich. Maybe as other deals collapsed it meant we had more money to play with so we were able to find common ground on the fee but I don't see it as a panic signing just that we weren't going to pay over the odds, but just like with Raphinha he suddenly became available at a price we found acceptable.
They had a deal lined up in January for Gnonto, Phil said so in his piece this morning.

They brought it forward purely because they had literally no other options.

They had tried people like Joel Piroe, Ben Brereton-Diaz and Kelechi Iheanacho.

Gnonto was a last resort, we have to do something deal.

They increased the fee to keep FC Zurich happy but it was a deal for January they had to bring forward as a last resort.

He certainly wasn't someone they aimed for as our first team striker option now.

Understand what you are saying about Marsch but he has been put in a poor situation by an arrogant and unprepared board.

Gnonto is now the attacker Marsch said the other day he has wanted all summer.

Unfortunately it's about 12-18months to early.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Vaken
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Vaken »

He's way better than Dieng, also younger. He could be a star.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:37 pm Where are these wonderful American friends? You surely don't mean the rabble we get on here talking sh*te? :shock: ;-)
Hope you're not including me in that. Born and bred in Doncaster. 26 years. Been to about 200 Leeds games.

As for the other Americans on here. There are 3 that I pay attention to all the time. They add quality content.
Siqu
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Siqu »

Dieng snubbed us and then failed a medical elsewhere, so maybe we got lucky with that one!!! 😂

I agree gnoto isnt one to be excited about this season but maybe in the future.

But itndoes mean joffy will have more opportunities and while im no Dan James fan, lending him to a team who might be battling with us later in the season is the only concern i have.

No need to do. A forrest and buy anyone that moves.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Premier players on loan to another premier club cannot play against the parent club ... For those who seem to think otherwise
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

faaip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:25 pm Premier players on loan to another premier club cannot play against the parent club ... For those who seem to think otherwise
:tup:

I thought so
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:25 pm Premier players on loan to another premier club cannot play against the parent club ... For those who seem to think otherwise
Good news faaip, I didn't know that, I thought it was up to the lending club to make that decision
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

:tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Dunno why everyone is now happy with that seeing he is supposedly shite
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:43 pm Dunno why everyone is now happy with that seeing he is supposedly shite
Who is shite. Dan or Gnonto? Twisted threads
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:51 pm Who is shite. Dan or Gnonto? Twisted threads
Dan.

Thought we would want him playing, putting the ball two feet above big Mitros head.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:43 pm Dan.

Thought we would want him playing, putting the ball two feet above big Mitros head.
I knew you meant that.
Unfortunately Dan will be watching. So a similar contribution to normal. Harsh but true
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:37 pm I'm no expert on those primitive life forms (Welsh people) but I gather they do it for free.

Where are these wonderful American friends? You surely don't mean the rabble we get on here talking sh*te? :shock: ;-)

*** It's Friday everyone feel free to insult as many people as you can :-D
Hey.....I resemble that comment. Happy to talk shite with you anytime Weasel. :lol:
Football/Futbol/Soccer
SnifferClarke
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by SnifferClarke »

:tup: Thanks I asked that on the Dan James thread.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:02 pm Hope you're not including me in that. Born and bred in Doncaster. 26 years. Been to about 200 Leeds games.

As for the other Americans on here. There are 3 that I pay attention to all the time. They add quality content.
Likewise, born and raised in Wakefield. Not quite as many games though, and since i haven't lived in Wakey since 1997, there haven't been too many games since.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »