Why don't you like Chelsea?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Why don't you like Chelsea?

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 pm I remember it 64 and I was at Wembley in 1970 to witness the Eddie Gray show, only to be sickened a few days later :verysad:
Two matches we didn't deserve to lose, 60s :(
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Mountain wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:06 am I think Chelsea represent almost like the antithesis of Leeds, the swinging 60s, Kings Road, a nasty team that got a free pass from the London loving media, while Leeds were slaughtered despite having some of the most technically gifted players of the time.
I couldn’t agree more, well said Mtn
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Reading comments on here about the romantic image of the 1960s, the Kings Rd etc makes me smile - as people who have that image in their minds have obviously never been in the Chelsea area when a home game is going on. The reality is very different I'm afraid...

Some of us lived in the Fulham area for many years, and used to see the Chelsea fans filing down the Fulham Road, or pouring off the tube at Fulham Broadway station. I can only say that to me many of them looked and behaved like neanderthals - virtually scraping their knuckles along the pavement as they walked. It's rather how I have always imagined Millwall supporters to be. There was always an air of aggression and malevolence.

And I remember one time watching a Leeds/Chelsea Elland Rd FA cup tie at a bar in Fulham Broadway. The sheer hostility of the Chelsea hordes towards LUFC and its fans had to be seen and heard to be believed. There were constant chants of ' we hate Leeds ' resonating around the large open plan room. When Becchio scored first I had to make sure that I kept very quiet for fear of being lynched by the mob. I must have been the only Leeds fan in there.

I also remember I was advised once or twice by local people in Fulham with the words ; ' for your own sake don't mention that you are a Leeds fan around here. '

On the other hand when the Fulham supporters came off the tube at Putney Bridge station on Saturdays they seemed to be much more cilvilised and refined. I didn't feel any sense of intimidation whatsoever. They just seemed like normal people enjoying an afternoon of watching sport.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:44 pm Some of us lived in the Fulham area for many years, and used to see the Chelsea fans filing down the Fulham Road, or pouring off the tube at Fulham Broadway station. I can only say that to me many of them looked and behaved like neandethals - virtually scraping their knuckles along the pavement as the walked. It's rather how I have always imagined Millwall supporters to be. There was always an air of aggression and malevolence.

And I remember one time watching a Leeds/Chelsea Elland Rd FA cup tie at a bar in Fulham Broadway. The sheer hostility of the Chelsea hordes towards LUFC and its fans had to be seen and heard to be believed. There were constant chants of ' we hate Leeds ' resonating around the large open plan room. When Becchio scored first I had to make sure that I kept very quiet for fear of being lynched by the mob.

I also remember I was advised once or twice by local people in Fulham with the words ; ' for your own sake don't mention that you are a Leeds fan around here. '

On the other hand when the Fulham supporters came off the tube at Putney Bridge station on Saturdays they seemed to be much more cilvilised and refined. I didn't feel any sense of intimidation whatsoever. They just seemed like normal people enjoing an afternoon of watching sport.

Lovely stadium too.

Craven Cottage is probably my favourite away ground in the country.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Rook wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:49 pm Lovely stadium too.

I got nothing but good vibes from the Fulham fans - though that was about a decade ago, so I'm not sure what it is like now. I doubt if it's changed.

Amazing to think that Bobby Moore and George Best both played for Fulham at Craven Cottage.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agreed, Craven Cottage probably my third most visited ground after the Rec and ER, great stadium, love it. Stamford Bridge at 4, and Loftus Road at 5
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

And mine too, Rook. :tup:
Dragon Road
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Dragon Road »

My first post, been reading this fantastic forum for a few years. Will post in the intros page later.

Moved to comment on the Chelsea topic. What everyone forgets is the nature of their support. I was once in the pub and a Chelsea supporting friend of a friend said, and I quote;

"Hitler got rid of all the Jews, and we'll get rid of all the blacks".

All while raising a nazi salute.

They have a nasty core of extreme right wing fans, a dirty little secret at the heart of a club which has been exceptionally fortunate, as others have said.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dragon Road wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:13 pm My first post, been reading this fantastic forum for a few years. Will post in the intros page later.

Moved to comment on the Chelsea topic. What everyone forgets is the nature of their support. I was once in the pub and a Chelsea supporting friend of a friend said, and I quote;

They have a nasty core of extreme right wing fans, a dirty little secret at the heart of a club which has been exceptionally fortunate, as others have said.
Welcome to our forum, Dragon & thank you for your MOT compliment :tup:
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:44 pm Reading comments on here about the romantic stuff of the 1960s, the Kings Rd etc makes me smile - as people who have that image in their minds have obviously never been in the Chelsea area when a home game is going on. The reality is very different I'm afraid...

Some of us lived in the Fulham area for many years, and used to see the Chelsea fans filing down the Fulham Road, or pouring off the tube at Fulham Broadway station. I can only say that to me many of them looked and behaved like neanderthals - virtually scraping their knuckles along the pavement as they walked. It's rather how I have always imagined Millwall supporters to be. There was always an air of aggression and malevolence.

And I remember one time watching a Leeds/Chelsea Elland Rd FA cup tie at a bar in Fulham Broadway. The sheer hostility of the Chelsea hordes towards LUFC and its fans had to be seen and heard to be believed. There were constant chants of ' we hate Leeds ' resonating around the large open plan room. When Becchio scored first I had to make sure that I kept very quiet for fear of being lynched by the mob. I must have been the only Leeds fan in there.

On the other hand when the Fulham supporters came off the tube at Putney Bridge station on Saturdays they seemed to be much more cilvilised and refined. I didn't feel any sense of intimidation whatsoever. They just seemed like normal people enjoying an afternoon of watching sport.

The Millwall fanbase is worse than Chelsea's, in my personal experience.

The absolute vilest fanbase in the entire football pyramid.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Dragon Road wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:13 pm My first post, been reading this fantastic forum for a few years. Will post in the intros page later.

Interesting.It doesn't surprise me though - some of the fans I used to see roaming around in Fulham struck me as right wing extremist types.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Rook wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:39 pm The Millwall fanbase is worse than Chelsea's, in my personal experience.

From what I have heard about them, I'm sure you are right Rook.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 pm I got nothing but good vibes from the Fulham fans - though that was about a decade ago, so I'm not sure what it is like now. I doubt if it's changed.

Amazing to think that Bobby Moore and George Best both played for Fulham at Craven Cottage.
Weren't Alan Mullery and Rodney Marsh there too ?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Rook wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:39 pm The Millwall fanbase is worse than Chelsea's, in my personal experience.

They attacked us on a weekday night, full members cup game at the den in t'80's, as we were getting into the car, shouldv'e seen them disappear sharpish as one of the lads pulled a gun out of the boot, we were in london on some security business.
Millwall & west ham were more feared and respected than chelsea.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

All football clubs have shithead fans including us.

Chelsea have never bothered me. Wife hates them though...

They are one of a handful of the rich clubs who have a decent ground to watch a game.
Stamford Bridge has a cracking atmosphere qnd upu never feel far from the action.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Clacton White wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:29 pm Weren't Alan Mullery and Rodney Marsh there too ?
I believe so.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:41 pm Just wondering. It looks like our beloved Raph might be going to Chelscum.....what is your personal hatred of this lot?

Horrible bunch of fans, up there with Millwall as the worst
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Plus there was this....

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clacton White wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:29 pm Weren't Alan Mullery and Rodney Marsh there too ?
Yes Mullery played over 200 games for Fulham

Rodney Marsh had a couple of spells with the Cottagers.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Not bothered about them either way. I save my dislike for anything Man U or Millwall.

The former for their arrogance , the latter for their despicable “fans”.