The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th June) - Raphinha set for Chelsea move

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th June) - Raphinha set for Chelsea move

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 29th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Raphinha set for Chelsea move...

It looks like Chelsea have nipped in, to steal Raphinha from under the noses of Arsenal, after days of time-wasting from the Emirates hierarchy. It is understood that new Blues owner Todd Boehly took charge of negotiations himself, calling his Elland Road counterpart before quickly agreeing a fee totalling £65m (€75m).

Furthermore, it has been reported that Arsenal spent much of yesterday trying to revive the deal, but with Deco expected at his former club this morning to tie up the loose ends, the Gunners will be kicking themselves for their cavalier attitude. Leeds had their eye on Hakim Ziyech, the player Raphinha will replace at Stamford Bridge, but after developments yesterday, the Dutch International will sign for AC Milan for 30m; not bad business for someone who's 29.

Leeds midfield target heading for Brighton

Leeds target Mohamed Camara is expected to make a final decision on his future in the next few days, but if media reports are to be believed, he is swaying towards a move to Brighton. With RB Leipzig refusing to deal with Leeds until the JKA fiasco is sorted out (ruling out Tyler Adams), missing out on Mohammed Camera will be devastating news for Jesse Marsch in his quest for a replacement for Kalvin Phillips who is due to undertake a medical with Manchester City either on Friday or Monday.

Out of the three prospective targets (Tyler Adams, Mohammed Camera and Sander Berge), Camera has been touted as the most talented, yet it is understood that Marsch had his heart set on the cheapest option (Adams). According to 'Athletic' journalist Sebastian Stafford-Bloor, Leeds will need a midfield dynamio to compensate for Roca...

Roca’s arrival changes the dynamic in the double pivot. He’s a ball-player — and a good one — but he probably needs a more defensive type alongside him and definitely someone who is a better athlete than he is. Roca is not particularly dynamic, so that needs to be compensated for."

Given Marsch’s past — and the signings of Aaronson and Kristensen from there already — the temptation is to shop exclusively in the Red Bull network. Tyler Adams and Mohamed Camara, from RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg respectively, have already been linked and would both make sense as signings. Camara is the better player of the two — he’s more skilful, more aggressive and a better defender — but he appears to be heading for Brighton, not Leeds.

Are Leeds really following the Leicester City model?

It was Eighteen months ago, following Leeds 3-1 victory over Leicester City on a cold dark night in January, that Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani first expressed his admiration for the Leicester City business model. The Foxes had turned their club into a money making business whilst still pushing for a European space by following strict guidelines including not selling more than one top player per window, ensuring you get the best price, and only selling your top talent on your own terms! According to Radrizzani back in January 2021...

I love what Leicester have done over the past 10 years and six seasons in the Premier League. That’s what I see as a model to follow.

Whilst easier said than done, especially with contracts winding down, few of the objectives have been followed! Do we assume it's back to the drawing board?

Kennyb41
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th June) Raphinha off to Chelsea

Post by Kennyb41 »

That photo of the 3 stooges drives me more and more insane each time i see it, the clown talking like he knows what he's on about and the other two hangin on his every word, stupid thick fckers.

Oh sorry, bad news on Raph.
A self-confessed lover of Bigots, Walts, Otters and Dandelions.
Young Kennyboy :roflmao:
Must dash.
8-)
whiteinfrance
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th June) Raphinha off to Chelsea

Post by whiteinfrance »

Good news on Raph

A resolution imminent

Looks like we might be getting a reasonable fee for him and he will be gone soon

Allows us to get on with the rebuild as soon as possible
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th June) - Raphinha set for Chelsea move

Post by Mountain »

I don't like losing Rapha.

But I like how he and his agent and Chelsea did business FAR more than Phillips and Man City. Deco sounded out a few clubs, Chelsea paid the most money, they get the player. Infinitely better than Phillips so desperate to get away that he sacks his agent, the new agent gets him into the club he wants to join, he spouts some tripe about moving out of loyalty, Leeds left short changed.
Kennyb41
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th June) - Raphinha set for Chelsea move

Post by Kennyb41 »

So we were skint then, and folk still wanted us to go gung ho in transfer windows yes?

We'd have been all Ridsdale again if it wasn't for you know who.
A self-confessed lover of Bigots, Walts, Otters and Dandelions.
Young Kennyboy :roflmao:
Must dash.
8-)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Once again I feel slightly bothered by the fact that Camara would choose Brighton over Leeds United. In my first 40 years of supporting this club I would never have contemplated that happening, however things have drastically changed over the last 15/20 years or so and we are where we are I suppose - lower down the pecking order than Brighton and Hove Albion!

Definitely back to the drawing board! If the Leicester model is only selling one top player per window and getting the best price possible then it looks like we’ve failed on both counts. We are selling our best 2 players in this window and we’ve already been scammed on the fee for the first one.
mentalcase
Manager
Manager

Post by mentalcase »

London or barcelona hmmmmm, so raph didn't really have his heart set on a move to the spanish sunshine at all did he , just wanted out of Leeds, fair enough, CL football, but, flaming london, wonder what he'll think in 3 weeks when he's been mugged twice !!
I just hope after these 2 there are no more wanting out, if so, get rid now, we don't need anymore bad apples, we have a long season to concentrate on and don't need the new arrivals having their heads in a spin about coming.
Not happy about raph going, thought we might have played levy hardball for a while, but hey ho, we collapsed again, but didn't want him going anywhere in the PL, he'll have a field day against firpo, hope Kristensen puts the twat in row Z .
Keep Fighting
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

In comparing us to the Leicester model people tend to look at Leicester of the last 3 or 4 years (title winners and on the fringes of European qualifying) and judge us against that rather than actually looking at Leicester of the last 10 years and how they spent a few years narrowly avoiding relegation - including winning something like 7 out of 8 games at the end of the season before they won the title to complete a remarkable escape from relegation when they had looked doomed. If Leicester had got relegated that season then there would have been no title win and a mass selling of players. So every model relies on a bit of luck at times to succeed (Man U were about to sack Alex Ferguson but they scraped a 1-0 FA Cup 3rd round win and he survived, they went on to win the FA Cup, the European Cup Winners Cup the year after and then a couple of years later the league title and then went on to win it regularly for the nex 20 years).

So where we are at presently is similar to early days Leicester. We need to sell the stars to improve the first team as a whole and the squad. Fans tend to demand success straightaway but the club needs to build. We've gone from a midtable championship squad 4 seasons ago to largely still having several of the same players but gradually bringing new players in. You can't simply replace an 18 man squad with huge upgrades overnight.
Marsching on Together

Jesse Marsch is taking us down under!
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

So far we've signed three but with the imminent departures of Kalvin and Raphinha plus Kennah leaving, Dallas long term injured and Cresswell apparently about to go out on loan, the current squad is actually smaller than it was last season....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Scoobychief
First Team
First Team

Post by Scoobychief »

We should try and cut a deal with chelsea raph goes there we get Gallaher plus cash
Scoobychief
First Team
First Team

Post by Scoobychief »

3 signings in 2 out we still need 4 at least with that money from Raphinha. And not untested untried players for this league we need a couple of premier league players in the heart of midfield, and a decent striker with bamford a back up.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 am So far we've signed three but with the imminent departures of Kalvin and Raphinha plus Kennah leaving, Dallas long term injured and Cresswell apparently about to go out on loan, the current squad is actually smaller than it was last season....
Darko? He's probably at the same stage as Charlie... Any squad without it's two star players is gonna be weaker but it looks touch better balanced, with power to add... Still can't work out why Joffy isn't considered a nailed on starter... he should be.
PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 am Darko? He's probably at the same stage as Charlie... Any squad without it's two star players is gonna be weaker but it looks touch better balanced, with power to add... Still can't work out why Joffy isn't considered a nailed on starter... he should be.
Totally agree ref Joffy.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Camara would be my choice of the linked names.

He is the higher rated player of the 3.

So he'd be my choice.

The Leicester model is blah and built on myth
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:09 am Totally agree ref Joffy.
Even most on here it seems wouldn't consider him a starter, for me a more complete player than Paddy right now.... If we get a new striker I'd drop paddy to the bench
PRO Leeds ... Are You?

onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Unlike KP, at least we're getting a fair price for Raph. I hate Chelsea so it won't be pleasant to see him there. Wish him great personal success not so much for his club. He was the best thing Orta has ever done. I desperately hope we aren't saying the same thing next window.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 am So far we've signed three but with the imminent departures of Kalvin and Raphinha plus Kennah leaving, Dallas long term injured and Cresswell apparently about to go out on loan, the current squad is actually smaller than it was last season....
Frightening eh, Chilli.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:50 am Even most on here it seems wouldn't consider him a starter, for me a more complete player than Paddy right now.... If we get a new striker I'd drop paddy to the bench
Always been a starter for me, the lad is a real talent :tup:
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

1964white wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm Always been a starter for me, the lad is a real talent :tup:
As a player I've seen him compared to Wayne Rooney, Now obvious differences in personality aside I do agree with that. He's where Wayne was when he played for Everton as a lad, One of the first names on the teamsheet for me and the more he plays the better he gets imo
PRO Leeds ... Are You?

1964white

Post by 1964white »

onemoreslogan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:03 pm Unlike KP, at least we're getting a fair price for Raph. I hate Chelsea so it won't be pleasant to see him there. Wish him great personal success not so much for his club. He was the best thing Orta has ever done. I desperately hope we aren't saying the same thing next window.
My opening post in the Chelsea thread on here has a banner 'WE HATE CHELSEA'

When I was just a little boy,
I asked my mother what should I be,
Should I be Chelsea,
Should I be Leeds,
Here's what she said to me;

Wash yer mouth out son,
And go and get your fathers gun,
And shoot the Chelsea scum,
Shoot the Chelsea scum,
We hate Chelsea,
We hate Chelsea,