England v Pakistan

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: England v Pakistan

Post by whiteswan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:20 pm I went to bed at Lunch - 11:30 pm here - thinking we were going to lose this match. As electric as the batting was, the bigger surprise is that we managed to take 20 wickets on that pitch.

What a turn around. Can't wait to see the rerun later
It's well worth watching andrew :)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Great game of cricket and the sort of match that test cricket needs, the stadium full on the 5th day and even though Pakistan lost their fans got great entertainment. In the past we'd have had England batting and maybe making an attritonal 400 to 500. Pakistan then probably hit 700 and England struggle to play out the final 2 sessions trying to cling to a draw.

Could easily have just been a complete borefest of a match with batters improving their average and no excitement or drama.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

weasel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:15 pm I would have liked then to have another 5 overs of slogging and have added say another 50 or 60 runs to the total. That said if they did that they maybe wouldn't have got the 2 wickets. I just feel with a few more runs they could really crowd the batsman and not have needed to worry about the ball disappearing to the boundary.
Good job I wasn't making the declaration. As it turned out we had more than enough runs and if we had taken those extra 5 overs, or even just 2 or 3, we might have run out of time to get the least wicket.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Exciting game Weasel, it should be what sport lovers want, the Aussies have done it with success for years.

It's only miserable fckers that do the moaning and find summert to moan about, it's just their nature and character, they can't help themselves.

We used to have fantastic exciting football at Elland Rd, but the miserable moaning folk couldn't see it.

They tend to drift through life finding something wrong in something.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

We just need to sack Eddie Jones this morning and Stokes might have woken up the Rugby Union board.

Needs to give GS a call as well.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 am Exciting game Weasel, it should be what sport lovers want, the Aussies have done it with success for years.

It's only miserable fckers that do the moaning and find summert to moan about, it's just their nature and character, they can't help themselves.

We used to have fantastic exciting football at Elland Rd, but the miserable moaning folk couldn't see it.

They tend to drift through life finding something wrong in something.
Indeed. Too much short termism. If we'd have lost that match then no odubt loads of folk would have been saying how stupid it was to declare etc. However even if we'd lost it would have been part of the process of making us stronger long term, putting ourselves in the situation where we put ourselves under pressure and seeing can we stand up to the pressure and win. If we'd have batted last needed the 340 to win we'd have gone for it and as shown last summer we would likely have gotten it and gone along at 5,6,7 an over. Pakistan were caught in the mindset of not wanting to lose so they tried to bat patiently, they put doubt in their mind and put the pressure on themselves.

Similar to how Bielsa kept making the players play the same way. Did players like Ayling, Cooper, Phillips and others ever really believe they could play like they did under Bielsa before he came? No but he made them play that way, he knew that sometimes we'd get it wrong but by keep doing it we would be stronger. Even in the beatings by the likes of Man City last year he stuck to the principles knowing that as the players got better the results would come, knowing that to really improve we needed to be able to play the way we did against teams like City and do it better and better. Could the younger players he was forced to use due to the injury crisis handle the pressure of a relentless City press. Yes we lost 7-0 but it is part of the learning process.

You change your philosphy, your way of playing and it may make you stronger for 1 match (i.e. could have only lost 5-0 to City) but it weakens you so much long term. You take the positives, the 1 or 2 times we beat the City press, and you do the same thing against a lesser team and you beat their press 8 or 9 times. You don't judge the success of the way you play by how you do against the best team in the world when you have a severely weakened team, you judge it at the end of the process when your players have developed and see how you do against the teams that were around you at the start of the process. At the start of the process we were worse than the likes of Stoke, Derby, Norwich, WBA and countless others. We had far outstripped those teams and whilst we had hit a huge bump due to injuries and a small squad once a few injuries cleared and we learnt the lessons of too small a squad (or a squad with not enough quality in the 18 or so) then the process would have continued with our upward climb.

Sadly short termism won the day, panic set in by the people who should have had more understanding and Orta got dazzled by Jesse Marsch, wearing the emperor's new clothes, and wanted his new toy before some other club snapped him up. We had the short term, trying to survive by the skin of our teeth last season and now, despite having a near full strength team and new recruits, our progress has stalled and will likely go backwards unless we spend, spend, spend.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

What sort of bowler would Bielsa be. A spinner I think. With a brilliant googly. A Bielsa Ball
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I couldn't put it better myself Weasel.

No, really i couldn't.

Feel like printing it off and posting it in a letter to Bert, Radz and the 2 Ronnies can have a copy anorl.

Another good idea would be to have it enlarged, like, really huge, and have it on one of those advertising lorries that drive around big Citys (Leeds)

The naysayers of this world, and this streak of wonderful Cricket Stokes and Macullum are playing, i can just see them all huddled into a corner....'he's ruining test cricket forever, wasn't meant to be played this way'

Total pricks.

Aimvho of course.

Yee haaa Jones has been sacked, hopefully we'll see the best of our players now.

Will Gareth capitulate against the French, or play to our strengths ? Time will tell.

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Write it on the side of an Aldi truck^
s**t on the outside & s**t on the inside😉
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:35 pm Write it on the side of an Aldi truck^
s**t on the outside & s**t on the inside😉
I love shopping at Aldi, absolutely can't beat it, their fresh stuff is second to none.

And it's not a money thing, the reason i shop there that is.

;@)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Brilliant and refreshing approach from Stokes and Macullum, and generated a deserved victory.

Test cricket has been and always will be the superior format of the game for me. So many great memories of Botham, Willis, Gower, Viv Richards, Holding, Marshall, Kapil Dev, Imran, Lillee, Border, Thomson and a cast of 1000s.

Would be really nice if the kids and everyone could get back into cricket.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:10 pm I love shopping at Aldi, absolutely can't beat it, their fresh stuff is second to none.

And it's not a money thing, the reason i shop there that is.
All my thoughts on Aldi are in the MOT vaults.
Their vegetable crisps are the best on the market. If you can wrestle one off a fat person that is
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Vegetable crisps ?

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:21 pm All my thoughts on Aldi are in the MOT vaults.
Their vegetable crisps are the best on the market. If you can wrestle one off a fat person that is
Good luck with that!

Their cheapo pizzas are good too, my girls love them. Never seen the point of crisps, they don't fill you up and are just empty calories. I do like a cheesy wotsit though, but that's a story for another day!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:42 pm Good luck with that!

Their cheapo pizzas are good too, my girls love them. Never seen the point of crisps, they don't fill you up and are just empty calories. I do like a cheesy wotsit though, but that's a story for another day!
Just show them a cake.

As a pre dinner nibble with a chilled glass of fino a vegetable crisp is the business. If you’ve spent time in Spain you must have got in to the culture. Pintxos or tapas would be better but you can’t get that here as the fat people eat it all
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 pm Just show them a cake.

As a pre dinner nibble with a chilled glass of fino a vegetable crisp is the business. If you’ve spent time in Spain you must have got in to the culture. Pintxos or tapas would be better but you can’t get that here as the fat people eat it all
Don't get me wrong when they put them out for free at bars etc then I'd tuck in. You can't take the Yorkshire out of me!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Look at this England cricket now, absolutely playing to their strengths by Bazball and Stokes, how can you have such a dramatic turnaround when you're not introducing to the team any Lara's, Warnes, Viv Richards, Ian Bothams etc etc etc

Because they've took the bull by the fcking horns and gone for the throat, you've now got bowlers that can hardly wait to get a hold of the ball because there's always something there for them to go at, you've got the batters that actually can't wait to bat and join in the excitement, how the fck has that been achieved ???

POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:45 am Look at this England cricket now, absolutely playing to their strengths by Bazball and Stokes, how can you have such a dramatic turnaround when you're not introducing to the team any Lara's, Warnes, Viv Richards, Ian Bothams etc etc etc

Because they've took the bull by the fcking horns and gone for the throat, you've now got bowlers that can hardly wait to get a hold of the ball because there's always something there for them to go at, you've got the batters that actually can't wait to bat and join in the excitement, how the fck has that been achieved ???

POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Put the right people in charge and suddenly a team of no-hopers play like world beaters. Where did I see that before?
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

weasel wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:08 pm Put the right people in charge and suddenly a team of no-hopers play like world beaters. Where did I see that before?
I didn’t think Leeds United as a team in the Championship were anywhere near no-hopers and so it proved with a little help from the maestro. They eventually proved to be out of their depth in the Premier League though apart from one exceptional but, frankly, abnormal season even with the maestro in charge and, in spite of a few useful additions, we are still struggling at that level.

Anyway back to the cricket. England have never had a team, as far as I remember, that could be described as no-hopers. They have, over the years, from time to time been second best to some very great Australian and West Indies sides but even then generally proved to be more than a match for the other cricketing nations. Having said that, I agree with Ken (for the second time in history, I think) this England team’s recent successes (in all forms of the game) have been exhilarating and often spectacular. Another 55 runs with 8 wickets in hand tomorrow to complete a whitewash in Pakistan is quite exceptional. Well done England - long may it continue.
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

I see the Aussies were giving the saffers a good seeing to in Brisbane, we have seen that one before :lol: