Pet projects

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
William
First Team
First Team

Re: Pet projects

Post by William »

You could argue that Patrick Bamford was a project too in that respect seeing that he went from a player who was frustrating the Leeds fan base during the Leeds promotion season and now we all rightly agree that he is a key player and have suffered in his absence.

Dallas too, in Bielsas first season Stu was making his way back from injury and Bielsa was pilloried for using him. Cometh the playoffs and cometh the man and the next season he saved our asses so many times in games...
Last season he was awesome and I reckon he could be useful for Leeds for 3 more seasons. Unless all those injuries he plays through catch up on him.

Jackie Haradona was another who we complained about, there were theories about Leeds having to play him or else they have financial penalties imposed on them by Citeh. Now he is for me a decent squad player at worst.

Forshaw was another who wasn't liked and was a player who "made no difference" and again he is now accepted as a key player.
( though I wonder what happens when Phillips becomes available as playing them both may leave us light going forward.)

My own theory regarding Roberts goes back to Bielsa in season 1. He had sorted the squad into the three groups of
Get Rid
Keep
Lets see.

According to Phil Hay both Pablo and Kiich were in group 3 but won their way into Bielsa's plans, both scoring in those wins against Stoke, Norwich and Swansea.

Which brings me to Roberts. Not sure what category he was in but seeing he wasn't included in that large exodus of loanees freeing up space in the Thorp Arch carpark I suggest keep as he was just signed that winter. Remember at the time Bamford had signed too but was injured ( surprise surprise) and Roberts was introduced to the team in the Autumn.

He played 7 games in a row before his knee problems began. Leeds botched his treatment too.
Played 7 scored 3 1 assist.
Not bad for a 20yo

When he came back later in the season Saiz had gone and I think Bielsa started to make Roberts into a playmaker.
I think that whatever Bielsa saw in that young man is why he has been played so much since.
If Bielsa can help him do whatever he needs to do to become a true Prem quality player then the lad owes a large debt of gratitude.

I do wonder if Roberts has had enough time to shine. I am frustrated by him to the point where I hate seeing him on the pitch. He has some lovely skills but is moved off the ball too easily and all in all isnt a good fit for us.

I and am sure that Gelhardt will be Bamfords understudy next season and be our no 9 the season after.

Roberts needs a loan to the Championship. Or sent off to Scotland for that matter.

Just my take on him.
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

William wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm You could argue that Patrick Bamford was a project too in that respect seeing that he went from a player who was frustrating the Leeds fan base during the Leeds promotion season and now we all rightly agree that he is a key player and have suffered in his absence.

Dallas too, in Bielsas first season Stu was making his way back from injury and Bielsa was pilloried for using him. Cometh the playoffs and cometh the man and the next season he saved our asses so many times in games...
Last season he was awesome and I reckon he could be useful for Leeds for 3 more seasons. Unless all those injuries he plays through catch up on him.

Jackie Haradona was another who we complained about, there were theories about Leeds having to play him or else they have financial penalties imposed on them by Citeh. Now he is for me a decent squad player at worst.

Forshaw was another who wasn't liked and was a player who "made no difference" and again he is now accepted as a key player.
( though I wonder what happens when Phillips becomes available as playing them both may leave us light going forward.)

My own theory regarding Roberts goes back to Bielsa in season 1. He had sorted the squad into the three groups of
Get Rid
Keep
Lets see.

According to Phil Hay both Pablo and Kiich were in group 3 but won their way into Bielsa's plans, both scoring in those wins against Stoke, Norwich and Swansea.

Which brings me to Roberts. Not sure what category he was in but seeing he wasn't included in that large exodus of loanees freeing up space in the Thorp Arch carpark I suggest keep as he was just signed that winter. Remember at the time Bamford had signed too but was injured ( surprise surprise) and Roberts was introduced to the team in the Autumn.

He played 7 games in a row before his knee problems began. Leeds botched his treatment too.
Not bad for a 20yo

When he came back later in the season Saiz had gone and I think Bielsa started to make Roberts into a playmaker.
I think that whatever Bielsa saw in that young man is why he has been played so much since.
If Bielsa can help him do whatever he needs to do to become a true Prem quality player then the lad owes a large debt of gratitude.

I do wonder if Roberts has had enough time to shine. I am frustrated by him to the point where I hate seeing him on the pitch. He has some lovely skills but is moved off the ball too easily and all in all isnt a good fit for us.

I and am sure that Gelhardt will be Bamfords understudy next season and be our no 9 the season after.

Roberts needs a loan to the Championship. Or sent off to Scotland for that matter.

Just my take on him.
Good post. Your frustration with Roberts is shared by many if not most fans. Nice to see that frustration articulated in a balanced way rather than abusing him.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

William wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm You could argue that Patrick Bamford was a project too in that respect seeing that he went from a player who was frustrating the Leeds fan base during the Leeds promotion season and now we all rightly agree that he is a key player and have suffered in his absence.

Get Rid
Keep
Lets see.

Not bad for a 20yo

Just my take on him.
Excellent post, William :tup:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Get Rid
Keep
Lets see.

Not bad for a 20yo

Just my take on him.
Great post William :tup:

If Bielsa can turn Tyro into a true EPL quality player then he should also move into the turning water into wine business, as he's wasting his talents on us ;-)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Not finished yet…………but think the dog will like it :dog:

357D6F47-61CB-498F-AFFE-2F22FBBF58F3.jpeg
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:30 pm Not finished yet…………but think the dog will like it :dog:

357D6F47-61CB-498F-AFFE-2F22FBBF58F3.jpeg
Hope you've got a chihuahua

Your going to struggle with a st Bernard or old English sheep dog.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Hate to be picky.. but the plyboard side
Looks about an inch short of the
Front elevation roof trusses... :hamr: :span:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:14 am It's a complete myth
What about Meslier, Phillips, Dallas and Raphinha? He picks them all the time.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

The pet project description assigned to particular players is absolute nonsense. As if any coach would deliberately pick a player that they don't think is the best person for the job but would do so simply because they like them.

It is simply a description thrown at a player that the commenter doesn't rate in a bid to imply that the coach doesn't really think they're good but is only picking them for another reason.

It's right up there with describing a player as hard or dirty, passionate or hot-headed, a leader who takes responsibility or egotistical, inconsistent or a confidence player, fouled a lot or a diver; all depending on whether the commenter likes the player or not.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Get Rid
Keep
Lets see.

Not bad for a 20yo

Just my take on him.
William, you can't just stroll in here and start talking sense. I spotted you doing it yesterday as well. Get a grip fella. 8-)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

liggy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:43 pm Hate to be picky.. but the plyboard side
Looks about an inch short of the
Front elevation roof trusses... :hamr: :span:
Alright Mr Picky…….just because you build 🚢 or is it pigeon lofts :duno:

However, tbf liggy you may have identified a few basic flaws in the design :)
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 pm The pet project description assigned to particular players is absolute nonsense. As if any coach would deliberately pick a player that they don't think is the best person for the job but would do so simply because they like them.
It's even more invidious as it implies a manager who plays fast and loose with the needs of the club to satisfy his own ego and his clique. In effect it attacks the integrity of a manager. I think it's nonsense to say any good manager does that, and least of all Bielsa.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Mountain wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:16 pm It's even more invidious as it implies a manager who plays fast and loose with the needs of the club to satisfy his own ego and his clique. In effect it attacks the integrity of a manager. I think it's nonsense to say any good manager does that, and least of all Bielsa.
Absolutely correct
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:59 pm William, you can't just stroll in here and start talking sense. I spotted you doing it yesterday as well. Get a grip fella. 8-)
:lol:

I will try and do harder Dave.
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:59 pm William, you can't just stroll in here and start talking sense. I spotted you doing it yesterday as well. Get a grip fella. 8-)
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

The general consensus of a pet project is defined as

A Project, activity or goal pursued as a personal favorite, rather than because it is generally accepted as necessary or important.

Both Roberts and James fall into this category. James being shoe horned into a striker for example.

Some pet projects work out, as previously mentioned in Philips and Bamford,so unlike some I don't necessarily take it as a criticism.
It's human nature to have favourites Bielsa is no exception.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 am The general consensus of a pet project is defined as

A Project, activity or goal pursued as a personal favorite, rather than because it is generally accepted as necessary or important.

Both Roberts and James fall into this category. James being shoe horned into a striker for example.

Some pet projects work out, as previously mentioned in Philips and Bamford,so unlike some I don't necessarily take it as a criticism.
It still baffles me when people think this is the case. When he played Phillips as centreback it wasn't because he saw him as a centreback it was to educate him about a position so he would understand more what the players behind him see and what they need from the player in front of them (the DM). It was to increase his awareness and make him a much better DM and also improve him so that at times where he would end up dropping deeper, almost into the CB role he would be able to position himself correctly. We saw with Forshaw recently that when Koch followed the Arsenal player out wide that Forshaw didn't drop into the CB position and Arsenal exposed a gaping hole.

With James it is very likely to be a similar learning experience. When Bamford is fit Bamford will be back in the striker role but the likes of Raphinha, Harrison and James will often find themselves in the striking role especially when Bamford has dropped deep to link the play or if the cross is coming from the right then the left winger will be in the box. We need more goals from the wide players and James is getting on the job training so he will start to ork out how to better time his runs, how to find space etc. We see with Liverpool that their wide players are basically strikers and for us to be a better team we need our wide players to all be getting double figure goal returns. Otherwise we will continue to see games like against Newcastle where we dominate but don't score - put Liverpool's forward line in against Newcastle and they would score two or three.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 am The general consensus of a pet project is defined as

:tup:

James belongs out on the wing, we have a young, exciting, and capable striker, whose generally been sitting on the bench for four months now, while Bamford's been unavailable, watching others attempt to be a striker and fail, week in and week out.

Surely the time and effort that's been invested into trying Rodrigo, Roberts, Harrison and James at centre-forward would have been better invested in our heir apparent?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:47 am :tup:

James belongs out on the wing, we have a young, exciting, and capable striker, whose generally been sitting on the bench for four months now, while Bamford's been unavailable, watching others attempt to be a striker and fail, week in and week out.

Surely the time and effort that's been invested into trying Rodrigo, Roberts, Harrison and James at centre-forward would have been better invested in our heir apparent?
But, if JG comes in and does well , what happens when PB is fit again, also, it gives Bielsa the headache he dosen't want, to be proved wrong.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"