The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th January) - Toon win after calamity of errors

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th January) - Toon win after calamity of errors

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 24th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Toon win after calamity of errors

Tyler Roberts giving the ball away followed by a Llorente foul and an uncharacteristic blunder from Illan Meslier lifted the Magpies to within a point of safety, and dented Leeds aspirations of climbing the table in the process. During a dire encounter, where both sides were as bad as each other, Raphinha's wizardry was evident for all to see. The Brazilian unselfishly carved out three or four opportunities for others, but without a goalscoring striker on the pitch, his efforts were in vain.

Leeds could have gone ahead early on in the first half. Rodrigo carved open the Toon defence with a diagonal ball deep inside the Newcastle penalty area. Raphinha cut the ball back to James, whose effort was well saved by Dúbravka at his near post. Newcastle looked dangerous from set pieces, and should have gone ahead before the break. Leeds failed to clear a corner, but Shelvey's volley was miraculously tipped around the post by Meslier.

The game looked like it was heading for a goalless draw until fifteen minutes from time. Llorente clattered Manquillo on the left edge of the area, gifting Newcastle a chance to deliver a dangerous ball into the box. Instead, Shelvey went for goal. His low curling effort bounced aver the despairing dive of Meslier before nestling in the far corner of the net. Clearly rattled, the Frenchman spilled a cross at his near post just minutes later which Llorente had to clear off the line. Even the introduction of Joe Gelhardt did nothing to lift Leeds spirits, but having already gone a goal down, and the clock ticking on, it was too little too late. 27% of Newcastle’s points won in the Premier League this season have come against Leeds.

It's not clicking for Roberts

Phil Hay has suggested that sending Tyler Roberts out on loan may reduce the pressure he is under to perform! The former Chief Football Writer for the YEP, also stated that the 23 yeaer old needs regular game time, something which he has never had at Elland Road.

Saturday isn’t a defeat we can hang around his neck (Roberts) but it is another game in which his impact has been mediocre/disappointing and I don’t feel as if his situation is doing anyone any good. You need consistent impact from players and while it does come from Roberts from time to time, it doesn’t come often enough. He must sense public opinion and to an extent, that must be in his head. It just doesn’t feel like this one is going to work.

I can’t argue with the potential value of a loan for Roberts. It takes him out of the firing line, it reduces the pressure on him and it potentially gets him regularly starts (which he doesn’t look like getting at Leeds). He’s had 100+ games for Leeds now and it’s not clicking.

Would you send Roberts out on loan, or with their injury crisis, still in full effect, do they need him at Elland Road. Is this his last chance?

Kinnear keeping close eye on the purse strings

In his latest program notes, Leeds Managing Director Angus Kinnear made it clear that any transfers in January would have a knock-on effect with how much business they would do in the Summer. He also claimed that big money signings do not guarantee that they would be that much better than our current stock of Under 23's, but could block their development.

We are confident we are building a long-term competitive advantage in the recruitment and development of world-class young talent. Central to this strategy is our ability to promise and deliver to young players a fast track to first-team football, as well as a culture where there is a belief in the process and where the players, irrespective of age, are trusted to deliver on the Premier League stage.

This strategy clearly impacts our evaluation of transfer targets, where our analysis indicates that many January options, requiring an eight-figure investment, would not be a material improvement on the current performances of emerging players such as Bate, Hjelde and Joe Gelhardt. Moreover, signing other options would block such youngsters’ development and would offer nowhere near the long-term potential.

Simultaneously, any January activity has an opportunity cost on more optimal moves in the summer window. As a board, we have always tried to be transparent with supporters in the belief it is better if our recruitment strategy is disagreed with by some fans, rather than misunderstood by many.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th January) Toon win after Meslier blunder

Post by 1964white »

Good morning all

If I may, I'll copy & paste a post I made on another thread.

The last 20 minutes were awful. I'm a fan who stays in the ground until the Leeds players take their plaudits from our fans. I said to my mates around me Newcastle are going to nick this, the writing was on the wall as we were so disjointed.

You could feel the concern as soon as Roberts came on, like many of our players he tries to do too much rather than playing a simple ball, then Llorente clatters into their attacker (may have been St Manximin), the wall was poor as it usually is, making it easy for Shelvey to curl ball round only for our young talented keeper to sadly mess up!
We don't lose to screamers in general, the goals we concede are usually messy & are created down to our own making in our error littered game.

Then we immediately decide to throw Gelhardt on through sheer desperation I guess, as we weren't prepared to send on our best opportunist kid at 0-0 when the game was crying out for something different long before the barcode's goal. It took six whole minutes to get Joffy on as we deliberated with his substitution because Newcastle had a couple of corners & by that time we couldn't retain the ball or clear our lines, that's how feeble we had become after dominating the game. So our kid had fifteen minutes to rescue us yet again, you know at least several of those final minutes are going to be wasted by the opposition ffs., sorry to be critical but this type of action is not fair on our young starlet.
Also by the time Joe came on, Raphinha & Harrison our creative threat had run themselves ragged for 80 minutes & have little left in the tank to give!

Sorry Marcelo, I didn't understand your thinking one bit on what was a miserable afternoon for our fans. :(

At least the Toon army had a good day.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th January) Toon win after Meslier blunder

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

I listened to TSB this morning whilst walking the dog and they said it right the teams that put 9-10 men behind the ball are our achilleas heel, we could never beat them in the Championship and its the same in the Prem, we are great against teams that play we just can't unlock these defences.

Roberts needs to go out on loan to get some confidence and game time, at times there seems to be a player in there but we don't see it often enough.

It now appears that Bambi is out for an indefinite period best get a striker in then!!!!!!
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:14 am Morning EB et all

I listened to TSB this morning whilst walking the dog and they said it right the teams that put 9-10 men behind the ball are our achilleas heel, we could never beat them in the Championship and its the same in the Prem, we are great against teams that play we just can't unlock these defences.

Roberts needs to go out on loan to get some confidence and game time, at times there seems to be a player in there but we don't see it often enough.

It now appears that Bambi is out for an indefinite period best get a striker in then!!!!!!
Very true, Rat, has been evident all season.

No chance of us signing a decent striker, I'm not expecting anyone, even though our small squad is severely depleted.

We won't send Roberts out on loan as we barely have enough bodies to fill our first-team, so many kids on the bench five of them unlikely to be used unless we suffer even more injuries, let's face the truth the five I'm referring to are nowhere near ready for PL football.

I called the two tactical subs correct on Saturday, So, so predictable!
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Should we send Roberts out on loan? I wouldn’t have considered that until Phil Hay mentioned it but yes, I definitely would. For his own good and the good of Leeds United.

It would take some pressure off him, it would allow us to gauge remotely whether he is ever likely to make the grade and, best of all, it would prevent Bielsa from being tempted play him all the time to absolute zero effect which, in his latest outing against Newcastle, became a less than zero, in fact a negative effect.

No new 1st team signings in this current window then! On the evidence of the Newcastle game that’s a risky strategy considering Radz’s bumper pay day is dependent on us staying up!
1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th January) - Toon win after calamity of errors

Post by 1964white »

Nice title header, Matt

I've often used the word 'calamity' when referring to our defending.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The Tyler Roberts debate seems to be creating more conversation than anything else LUFC related at the moment.
I honestly didn't think he was good enough when we were in the Championship but I hoped he would improve but he clearly hasn't even though Bielsa thinks otherwise.
His confidence nows seems totally shot to pieces so for his own sake, he needs to spend some time on loan elsewhere. Again, unlikely to happen due to Bielsa’s opinion of him.
I remember a few months ago in a Wales game (a team largely made up of Championship players) he was on the bench and they brought on a striker from Manure who has never played a first team game or even made the bench! Tyler didn't get on. Says it all really.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th January) - Toon win after calamity of errors

Post by BGwhite »

Bielsa is actually being cruel to Roberts by playing him but obviously this won't enter into his narrow mind. Short on numbers or not, Roberts is just a body that gets in the way of the opposition and helps our cause in no way whatsoever so he's better off elsewhere .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

jam2it
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by jam2it »

It’s sad to say that we’ve seen the player Tyler could be on rare occasions and without Bamford being around the pressure and lack of confidence is affecting him when he does get game time.

We can’t afford him and/or Dan James on the pitch at the moment, they simply can’t handle the pressure and lack calmness in and around the box. Send them both out on loan?

Perhaps Bate/Gelhard for Roberts and Summerville/Greenwood or dare I say Rodrigo up top (I can’t recall him being given that role while Paddy’s missing).

On the forwards, I still think we need a Dwight Gale type given the crosses/pullbacks we see from Rapha and Harrison.

Perhaps Bogusz should be given a chance in midfield, given KP is missing, if he can be recalled.

Win, lose or draw our makeshift squad have played well so far this season and for a couple of dodgy VAR shouts and our own mistakes we’d be further up the table.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

jam2it wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:11 am It’s sad to say that we’ve seen the player Tyler could be on rare occasions and without Bamford being around the pressure and lack of confidence is affecting him when he does get game time.

We can’t afford him and/or Dan James on the pitch at the moment, they simply can’t handle the pressure and lack calmness in and around the box. Send them both out on loan?

Perhaps Bate/Gelhard for Roberts and Summerville/Greenwood or dare I say Rodrigo up top (I can’t recall him being given that role while Paddy’s missing).

On the forwards, I still think we need a Dwight Gale type given the crosses/pullbacks we see from Rapha and Harrison.

Perhaps Bogusz should be given a chance in midfield, given KP is missing, if he can be recalled.

Win, lose or draw our makeshift squad have played well so far this season and for a couple of dodgy VAR shouts and our own mistakes we’d be further up the table.
Well to MOT, Jam2 :tup:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

That's not true that Roberts hasn't had regular game time, he's played every game this season he's been available! He played a lot last season as well. Loaning him out will just decrease his value imo. He didn't light up the Championship with Bielsa as manager, so why would he playing for Cardiff or whoever? Sell him in the summer. I can't believe we turned down £10m for him in the summer!
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:16 pm That's not true that Roberts hasn't had regular game time, he's played every game this season he's been available! He played a lot last season as well. Loaning him out will just decrease his value imo. He didn't light up the Championship with Bielsa as manager, so why would he playing for Cardiff or whoever? Sell him in the summer. I can't believe we turned down £10m for him in the summer!

I can't believe any team is daft enough to offer £10 million for him.
He definately needs to go , either loan or for good,main sticking block is Bielsa, he sticks by him at all costs, constantly trying to convince everyone he'll somehow make the grade, at a huge detriment to the club.
We have better players to use, but Bielsa won't have it, he refuses to be wrong.
I said many many times we won't buy anyone this window, the whole recruiting process is pretty depressing really, and, IF , we do, it won't be the player we actually need.
I'm getting more and more disillusioned by the day regarding our transfer policy, the 3 amigos don't agree on anything by the seems of it, also the constant notes in the programme are often conflicting / confusing.
For the life in me, I simply cannot understand why some of the young lads who always seem to shine when called upon, are suddenly bombed out the very next game !!! Confused.com
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
jam2it
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by jam2it »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm Well to MOT, Jam2 :tup:
Can’t believe our luck, if LUFC had wanted or been able to recall Bogusz then the news from Spain on him tearing his ACL proves it’s not MB overworking them in training …. who’s our boot sponsor they need kicking out 😂
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

There’s a good few teams in more of a mess than we are at this moment, watford manager-less again, Everton a disaster, Brentford in free fall, Norwich been Norwich and Burnley have a massive fixture pileup.

We will be fine without further signings but it’s frustrating all the same and I don’t buy the nonsense that kinear came out with. There are hundreds of players that would improve us and if the youngsters are good enough you would expect they would force their way in to the team.

Roberts bless him hasn’t taken the bull by the horns, I wouldn’t say it’s game over for him but he could do with a few months in the under 23’s. Need Gelhardt in upfront but i can’t see James getting dropped even though he seems to have no instinct for the poacher role, gets plenty of chances but can’t finish them.
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

I'd like to see Gelhardt get some proper game time just to see if he's as good as everyone thinks he is .
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

It almost feels like Gelhardt is behind Meslier in the striker role.
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

If we can't find a striker on loan I give up. If Arsenal land Vlahovic then maybe Nketiah can return to us, although Juventus have entered the fray for Vlahovic now. This will be the trigger deal for any striking options. We need a finisher unless Bielsa starts backing Joffy from the kick off.
Last edited by rondownunder on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:36 pm There’s a good few teams in more of a mess than we are at this moment, watford manager-less again, Everton a disaster, Brentford in free fall, Norwich been Norwich and Burnley have a massive fixture pileup.

We will be fine without further signings but it’s frustrating all the same and I don’t buy the nonsense that kinear came out with. There are hundreds of players that would improve us and if the youngsters are good enough you would expect they would force their way in to the team.

Roberts bless him hasn’t taken the bull by the horns, I wouldn’t say it’s game over for him but he could do with a few months in the under 23’s. Need Gelhardt in upfront but i can’t see James getting dropped even though he seems to have no instinct for the poacher role, gets plenty of chances but can’t finish them.
Absolutely spot on. I have always argued that our absence of transfer activity was premised on Radz believing there are 3 teams worse than us this year. I have a sneaking suspicion we will follow Villa and sell either KP or Raphinha in the summer and try to strengthen the squad for another year in the PL and hope our youngsters make the grade. 49ers cash anyone? Appears to be in theory only.