The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 20th January) - Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 20th January) - Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:02 pm So we can assume all posts on the transfer thread are uninformed nonsense? Also s**t happens when buying players, you're using hindsight to condemn Orta who has generally done great work plus Bielsa would have approved the signing, may even been high up his list. JKA was very highly rated before he came here.

Orta is batting around .750 and that's very decent.
It isn't hindsight.

Fans got excited about a relatively big name player,that's normal.

Fans also expressed concern about his reputation.

Orta has said in the past that a players mentality and professionalism plays a huge part in our targets.

JKA had a long history of unprofessionalism and discipline and fitness issues.

To the point previous coaches had criticised him publicly.

The biggest red flag for me was Ralf Rangnick, Manure aside he is very similar to Bielsa.

An innovative tactician who demands total commitment and high levels of fitness in his players. He basically kicked JKA out and criticised his mentality, fitness and all sorts.

If a coach as close to Bielsa as Rangnick says that that should remove him from any potential transfer lists Orta makes

That isn't a concern that is a cross, a red flag,a no go. Orta should never have presented him to Bielsa as an option.

None of this was hindsight it was mentioned in the JKA thread and Orta should have known this, if he did and choose to ignore it then that is on him again and because of this we have seen our reputation damaged in the football World (you think any club will do a loan with an option or obligation to buy again)

It has seen us try to use a pandemic where millions have died as a get out clause, so it's totally morally wrong.

And it is now absolutely 100%hindering us in our pursuit of our transfer target (no way it isn't impacting our Brenden Aaronson transfer).

This isn't a transfer gone bad, that happens.

This is a transfer gone catastrophic, that isn't normal, only 1 other case like it that anyone can think of and guess what, the buying club lost and ended up paying twice what the original fee was in total.

No way Orta fan be absolved of blame for this imo and its madness to try to.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 20th January) - Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

Post by Byebyegeegee »

No, what I said is it is not our job, i.e. we are not employed and paid very handsomely indeed, to scout appropriate and proper transfer targets and get the best deal possible for Leeds United.

Of course we fans all have an interest in and opinions on football players, some more informed than others (and all worth reporting I’m sure). But our posts can comprise no more than cursory knowledge compared to someone who’s professional job as “Director of Football” is to scrutinise thoroughly any potential target.

There were rumours that JKA had had disciplinary problems prior to signing for us so, in my opinion, he really should have been a lot more savvy in this particular transfer deal.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:55 pm No, what I said is it is not our job, i.e. we are not employed and paid very handsomely indeed, to scout appropriate and proper transfer targets and get the best deal possible for Leeds United.

Of course we fans all have an interest in and opinions on football players, some more informed than others (and all worth reporting I’m sure). But our posts can comprise no more than cursory knowledge compared to someone who’s professional job as “Director of Football” is to scrutinise thoroughly any potential target.

There were rumours that JKA had had disciplinary problems prior to signing for us so, in my opinion, he really should have been a lot more savvy in this particular transfer deal.
But that's all Harry was alluding to, we all thought it a good move, no dissenting voices here though the chorus of disapproval for Gallagher was loud and clear.. It's Orta's job to get the player off Bielsa's list or convince him it's the right move as he did with Llorente. No disagreement that JKA was a disasterous move but they happen, it's no ones fault and the it's only those that feel the need to blame someone if anything goes wrong that seem to think so..

s**t happens ... I can think of a lot of examples in all sports. Rumours mean f**k all tbh, most of the time they're just lies.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

£20m potentially written off!

Oh well c’est la vie “it's no ones fault”

I think that’s one more thing we’ll have to agree to disagree on faaip.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:52 pm £20m potentially written off!

Oh well c’est la vie “it's no ones fault”

I think that’s one more thing we’ll have to agree to disagree on faaip.
Yep, but I'm right
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

There's another thread about Howard Wilkinson.

He's the 2nd best manager in our history, but sometimes transfers just go wrong. He broke the bank for Brolin, Palmer, Sharpe etc. He also sold Cantona, who was just a sub at Leeds but transformed another club.

JKA was a shocker...but it happens. What's wrong is to conclude that Orta is a disaster. What we should learn is that throwing money at big names, or leaving our subs move on for little money, comes with risks.