Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Rodrigo

Post by mentalcase »

If rumours (haha) coming out of Spain are to be true, Rodrigo has asked to leave and go to Barcelona.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:24 am If rumours (haha) coming out of Spain are to be true, Rodrigo has asked to leave and go to Barcelona.
With reports we have bid for a 2nd player and Brenden Aaronson theoretically being signed to play in the role Rodrigo has been it wouldn’t surprise me if he left.

I don't believe this move has been what he hoped.

Injuries aside no way he expected to be shoehorned into midfield and at 30 years old have to try and learna new role.

He arrived here as the undisputed number 9 for his country and now he isn't even guaranteed a squad place.

So it is entirely plausible he does want to go imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am With reports we have bid for a 2nd player and Brenden Aaronson theoretically being signed to play in the role Rodrigo has been it wouldn’t surprise me if he left.

I don't believe this move has been what he hoped.

Injuries aside no way he expected to be shoehorned into midfield and at 30 years old have to try and learna new role.

He arrived here as the undisputed number 9 for his country and now he isn't even guaranteed a squad place.

So it is entirely plausible he does want to go imo.

Yea, and play in the position he likes as CF.
Could be a good move for both parties really, gets him off the wage bill for one.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:24 am If rumours (haha) coming out of Spain are to be true, Rodrigo has asked to leave and go to Barcelona.
Fingers crossed!
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

I’m sure we can scrape enough Euros together for his taxi.

I had high hopes for him, but other than odd flashes he’s been, let’s face it, an expensive mistake.

I hope he does well elsewhere.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

The saving on his 100k a week wages can be diverted to upping Raph's wages for his new contract - money much better spent.
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

I was excited when I first heard about the signing until I heard he had a loan spell at Bolton,my expectations lowered after that.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Let him go, take the hit , and use his wages and fee towards someone more useful.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

I know a couple rated him quite highly yesterday but I thought he was really poor again yesterday and just always looks like the weak link not really contributing anything bar a couple of nice passes. Feel like we will do really well to recoup any of the money we paid for him this winter/summer but I would definitely get rid to free up some wages. Potentially he's been a bit unlucky with injuries etc. but never really looked like getting going and we even started dan james up front instead of him yesterday...
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

danhirons wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:41 pm I know a couple rated him quite highly yesterday but I thought he was really poor again yesterday and just always looks like the weak link not really contributing anything bar a couple of nice passes. Feel like we will do really well to recoup any of the money we paid for him this winter/summer but I would definitely get rid to free up some wages. Potentially he's been a bit unlucky with injuries etc. but never really looked like getting going and we even started dan james up front instead of him yesterday...
I had him as my MOM, we all see a different game and have differing opinions, I thought he controlled a lot and some of his passes were exquisite, outside the left foot a couple of times.
I won't fall out with you because you thought he was poor, you've put it the way you saw the game, not telling us how the game went, big difference.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

danhirons wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:41 pm I know a couple rated him quite highly yesterday but I thought he was really poor again yesterday and just always looks like the weak link not really contributing anything bar a couple of nice passes. Feel like we will do really well to recoup any of the money we paid for him this winter/summer but I would definitely get rid to free up some wages. Potentially he's been a bit unlucky with injuries etc. but never really looked like getting going and we even started dan james up front instead of him yesterday...
Got to say I agree with this. I was mildly surprised that he had his plaudits yesterday, as I felt he was relatively ineffectual. However I always try to keep an open mind on other people's opinions. I don't think he is a bad player, just feel he may not be suited to Marcelo's style of play.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:17 pm The saving on his 100k a week wages can be diverted to upping Raph's wages for his new contract - money much better spent.
£100k a week?? How can a newly promoted team pay out those kinds wages already? Absolutely ridiculous!

Mind you, Orta did the same at Boro. Valdez and Negredo were on over £100k a week.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I would agree.

He made 1 or 2 easy on the eye passes but didn't actually create any chances.

He lost the ball a lot (I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet he was the most dispossessed player).

Bielsa's obsession with playing him in midfield doesn't help and neither does the simple fact he doesn't have a natural role in our system and is therefore having to try and learn a new one about 10 years after most players stop that.

But ultimately he is a flop and poor value for money.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:54 pm £100k a week?? How can a newly promoted team pay out those kinds wages already? Absolutely ridiculous!

Mind you, Orta did the same at Boro. Valdez and Negredo were on over £100k a week.
Orta likes to sign big names from Spain.

Think he thinks it makes him look great.

It's weird
Signed

King Cjay

Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

I thought the same danhirons. I’m surprised at the credit he is being given.

His control was poor, highlighted by taking a very touch when played into loads of room on the left in the first half. It was a real chance but he killed it. He never dominated where he was on the pitch and I cannot remember a single defence opening pass. I really don’t think James got a single pass that gave him even a thought of goal.

It’s not his natural position so we can’t be too critical, but he’s not as adaptable as is needed in this team, so it probably is time to move on.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 pm I had him as my MOM, we all see a different game and have differing opinions, I thought he controlled a lot and some of his passes were exquisite, outside the left foot a couple of times.
I won't fall out with you because you thought he was poor, you've put it the way you saw the game, not telling us how the game went, big difference.
:ok: :tup:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Azkal wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:53 pm Got to say I agree with this. I was mildly surprised that he had his plaudits yesterday, as I felt he was relatively ineffectual. However I always try to keep an open mind on other people's opinions. I don't think he is a bad player, just feel he may not be suited to Marcelo's style of play.
totally agree actually, feel like there is a better player in there somewhere but just feels like he's not being able to show it with us for whatever reason. after all, he was performing well for valencia and spain before he joined us...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

£15m + Puig and Jutgla and I wouldn't say no! We can't afford to let him go, if no one's coming in.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

SG90 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:26 pm
£15m + Puig and Jutgla and I wouldn't say no! We can't afford to let him go, if no one's coming in.
Whilst money and/or player swap sounds a decent deal for us, I can't help feel it is looking like a bit of desperation on our part now it looks like we have lost out on our main target Aaronson.

Definitely cant afford to let him go if no-one is coming in. However, if: 15mill + Puig is offered, I'd say yes, and use some of that 15mill to up the Aaronson fee. Puig and Aaronson, and maybe a little cash left over to see what we could get would be good business.

On the topic of Rodrigo, I agree with many here. I think he's an excellent player, but for whatever reason not suited to our system. Shame, as he seems a decent nice chap with the right kind of mentality for our dressing room.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

I don't really know why the club signed a player whose natural position is as a false 9. A false 9 is not used to having another striker playing in front of him, and frankly we don't have the type of players who get in the box so as to allow a false 9 to play the killer passes from deep. We saw that against Newcastle. Surely part of the advantage of playing with a false 9 rather than a traditional 9 is to be able to pull CBs completely out of position - however if there is a true no 9 playing in front then this is not going to happen.

I know the aim was to convert Rodrigo to play as a no 10, but when you are nearly 30 and have played as a false 9 your whole career it's a big leap of faith and a big gamble for a club to be paying a club record fee and 100k in wages a week purely on the assumption that this will be guaranteed to work.