LUFC - Podcast of the Week.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Square Ball call it right.

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:22 pm 1964 or 1965, Faaip.
we'll settle on 64/65 season then ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Square Ball/The Debrief

Post by 1964white »

Freddy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Freddy »

These channels/podcasts can be good to have on in the background, but I find that I often quickly become bored or irritated by them and turn them off. I can't stand egotistical know-alls and most of it is negative, over-dramatic clickbait stuff in which somebody who can probably barely kick a ball lays into a certain player because everybody else does. I think the negativity can be damaging to the players mentally and creates a negative aura around the club. You may say that they're high-paid professionals and should be able to cope with it, but they're just people like you and me, and anyway, I just find it annoying.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Freddy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:47 pm These channels/podcasts can be good to have on in the background, but I find that I often quickly become bored or irritated by them and turn them off. I can't stand egotistical know-alls and most of it is negative, over-dramatic clickbait stuff in which somebody who can probably barely kick a ball lays into a certain player because everybody else does. I think the negativity can be damaging to the players mentally and creates a negative aura around the club. You may say that they're high-paid professionals and should be able to cope with it, but they're just people like you and me, and anyway, I just find it annoying.
You are a bundle of fun :roll:

Who are you as a former member on here?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Brilliant & funny as ever!

1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Freddy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:47 pm These channels/podcasts can be good to have on in the background, but I find that I often quickly become bored or irritated by them and turn them off. I can't stand egotistical know-alls and most of it is negative, over-dramatic clickbait stuff in which somebody who can probably barely kick a ball lays into a certain player because everybody else does. I think the negativity can be damaging to the players mentally and creates a negative aura around the club. You may say that they're high-paid professionals and should be able to cope with it, but they're just people like you and me, and anyway, I just find it annoying.
I agree with most of that... good post.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:00 pm I agree with most of that... good post.
Is it? Freddy isn't exactly a bundle of fun, going from his recent posts.

The Square Ball four are well-educated, humorous, informative & are fun to listen to, as opposed to the other serious/downbeat podcasters. Two of them, Dan & Michael have worked in the media on radio & ITV. Season-ticket holders & Leeds fans through & through, not those types who have jumped on the Leeds United bandwagon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:22 pm Is it? Freddy isn't exactly a bundle of fun, going from his recent posts.

The Square Ball four are well-educated, humorous, informative & are fun to listen to, as opposed to the other serious/downbeat podcasters. Two of them, Dan & Michael have worked in the media on radio & ITV. Season-ticket holders & Leeds fans through & through, not those types who have jumped on the Leeds United bandwagon.
The post is fine, I agree his other stuff is toxic
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Doesn't sound like you've ever listened to the Square Ball.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:38 pm Doesn't sound like you've ever listened to the Square Ball.
He wouldn't have, Sara.

Just generalizing, all the bloggers are the same, some of us know TSB are a cut above the rest.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:36 pm He wouldn't have, Sara.

Just generalizing, all the bloggers are the same, some of us know TSB are a cut above the rest.
Entirely different kettle.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The Square Ball/The Debrief - Whinging Wolves fans & the bias commentator. BRILLIANT from TSB as ever!

Post by Carrick Dave »

The Square Ball is a hoot, an opportunity to enjoy true Leeds fans taking the piss out of each other ( jointly & severally), the club (players, management and ownership), the football establishment, opposition fans and the world in general with a subtlety and dry wit that Jack Dee would be proud of.

They also beat the drum for Leeds United week in week out and have done for 20 years plus I believe ( I’m a recent follower of 2/3 years). Their knowledge of the club is encyclopaedic, and they research their output scrupulously.

Most importantly, they don’t take themselves too seriously.

What is there for Freddy to like?
1964white

Re: The Square Ball/The Debrief - Whinging Wolves fans & the bias commentator. BRILLIANT from TSB as ever!

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:15 pm The Square Ball is a hoot, an opportunity to enjoy true Leeds fans taking the piss out of each other ( jointly & severally), the club (players, management and ownership), the football establishment, opposition fans and the world in general with a subtlety and dry wit that Jack Dee would be proud of.

They also beat the drum for Leeds United week in week out and have done for 20 years plus I believe ( I’m a recent follower of 2/3 years). Their knowledge of the club is encyclopaedic, and they research their output scrupulously.

A brilliant response, Davy :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:15 pm The Square Ball is a hoot, an opportunity to enjoy true Leeds fans taking the piss out of each other ( jointly & severally), the club (players, management and ownership), the football establishment, opposition fans and the world in general with a subtlety and dry wit that Jack Dee would be proud of.

That's the bit I have to fast forward and skip through...
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Listen to The Square Ball/Phil Hay Show this week .... sorry couldn't find a YT link - I listen on Spotify. Lots of sensible stuff spoken on Orta's signings.

Emphasis on Willy Gnonto, A £4m player now worth £40m-plus. Throw Raphinha, Meslier, Strujik and others into the equation and he's got some big financial successes. More than enough to write off the JKA's and a few others, And then there's Bielsa. Fair credit to VO. He'll leave us in a much better place.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:43 am Listen to The Square Ball/Phil Hay Show this week .... sorry couldn't find a YT link - I listen on Spotify. Lots of sensible stuff spoken on Orta's signings.

Emphasis on Willy Gnonto, A £4m player now worth £40m-plus. Throw Raphinha, Meslier, Strujik and others into the equation and he's got some big financial successes. More than enough to write off the JKA's and a few others, And then there's Bielsa. Fair credit to VO. He'll leave us in a much better place.
He does....
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:22 pm Is it? Freddy isn't exactly a bundle of fun, going from his recent posts.

The TSB lads are great fun and don't take themselves too seriously.
I have been listening for years.
They are in it for the fun
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:43 am Listen to The Square Ball/Phil Hay Show this week .... sorry couldn't find a YT link - I listen on Spotify. Lots of sensible stuff spoken on Orta's signings.

What if we get relegated?

He has a small amount of credit left but its dwindling.

Same style if play through all age groups was part of his job role, that's not happening.

Multiple poor to dreadful management appointments.

Sacking a manager mid relegation battle, having no plan in place and then genuinely hoping a PE teacher would do.

A manager he through his own admission spent years in contact with and talked his bosses into committing £10s of millions to.

Always leaving the squad understaffed (as our own manager said yesterday).

Many poor value transfers

Has Rodrigo been worth £30mil plus being our highest earner? No.
Dan James
Helder Costa
Jean Kevin Augustin
Diego Llorente
Kiko Casilla
Eddie Nketiah
Junior Firpo
Barry Douglas

Or more recently
Rasmus Kristensen
Brenden Aaronson
Wesfon McKennie
Georginio Rutter.

Either look extremely poor value, not good enough, or at the very least years away from when they would be Premier League players.

Or the transfers that he would have done that fell through.

Michael Cuissance, £20mil Orta would have spent on him.

Jerry Mbakogu, £3-4mil, was released available for nothing 6months later.

Dozens and dozens of youth players who got nowhere near the first team and doesn't include the likes of Grot, Cibicki, Brown, Baker, loads more.

Not to mention his unprofessional behaviour.

He hasn't been a total failure.

But plenty of DOF's would be sacked for his behaviour alone and his record is nothing special.

He also thinks we should aspire to be 9th to 13th as he said the other day

Midget mentality
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom