Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BlackHillsPaul
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

It always seems weird and kinda dangerous to buy multiple players from the same team in the same transfer window. But the truth is that Mo Camara would be a GREAT signing! And I think that Aaronson and Kristensen are also signings that stand on their own. It's just a testament to the level of recruitment and player development in the RB system. And they have an excellent track record of successfully moving players up to the next level.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Reports coming out that we have identified 23 year old PSV winger Cody Gakpo as our replacement for Raphinha.

He is a 6ft2 winger who has also played up front who managed 21 goals ans 15 assists last season in all competitions including 4 goals in the Champions League and Europa League.

He would cost around £30mil
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Scoobychief
First Team
First Team

Post by Scoobychief »

i see we missed out on Minamino. the guy above Cody looks interesting.
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:40 pm Been reported that we have an interest in Manchester City midfielder James McAtee who is known as the Salford Silva due to his comparisons in his style to former Manchester City icon David Silva.

It is said Manchester City aren't interested in a sale due to him recently signing a long term contract.

But this may change if it helps them sign Kalvin Phillips.
No matter how talented, he's never made a PL appearance. As an AMC he fits the profile of what we need. But he'd probably just go into the 23's - players we shouldnt be spending more than 1 or 2 million on. That makes him pocket change in in a Phillips deal.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Fabrizio Romano exclusively linked us to Belgian wonderkid Charles De Ketelaere

21,year old Club Brugge player managed 18 goals and 10 assists last season whilst playing in a variety of positions usually as a striker but also as a number 10 and an attacking midfielder

He is a versatile and physically gifted player who stands well over 6ft and is not afraid to use his size and strength in a physical battle but who is also deceptively fast and technically gifted with a good footballing brain causing comparisions to Kevin De Bruyne due to his vision and creativity.

Not just an attacking force his well known for his willingness to lead a press from the front.

Player wise he is in the mould of German legend Thomas Muller.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The 2nd link comes from reputable sources in Portugal where it is well known LUFC scout with Victor Orta having admitted in the past that Raphinha was a,player of interest going back to his days in Portugal.

It has been reported that we have had a £25mil bid rejected by Porto for Brazilian born Portugal International Otavio.

The 27 year old was reportedly very close to moving to Liverpool in 2021.

Otavio is a similarly versatile player who can play on other wing or as a creative midfielder.

Known for his dribbling skills and eye for a creative pass he is also a hard worker and tackler which would appeal to us I'm sure.

He has managed 41 assists in the last 3 seasons for Porto.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:03 pm Fabrizio Romano exclusively linked us to Belgian wonderkid Charles De Ketelaere

21,year old Club Brugge player managed 18 goals and 10 assists last season whilst playing in a variety of positions usually as a striker but also as a number 10 and an attacking midfielder

He is a versatile and physically gifted player who stands well over 6ft and is not afraid to use his size and strength in a physical battle but who is also deceptively fast and technically gifted with a good footballing brain causing comparisions to Kevin De Bruyne due to his vision and creativity.

Not just an attacking force his well known for his willingness to lead a press from the front.

Player wise he is in the mould of German legend Thomas Muller.
Yes please! But I think he'll be off to one of the top clubs.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:36 pm Yes please! But I think he'll be off to one of the top clubs.
We are a top club!!!!!!!!!!!

If Raph leaves we will have the money.

We should be ambitious.

Otavio - Gakpo- De Ketelaere.

Front 3.
Signed

King Cjay

CanuckMightyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:03 pm We are a top club!!!!!!!!!!!

If Raph leaves we will have the money.

We should be ambitious.

Otavio - Gakpo- De Ketelaere.

Front 3.
I agree cjay. We should try for 2 signings of this caliber with the Raphinha money.
Similarly, 2 more with the KP money. Am giddy seeing all these exciting links.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Gelhardt better than the lot
PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
BlackHillsPaul
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

So this young Belgian lad. According to the video analysis he is poor on set pieces. He's been injury prone. And he rates only 4/10 on marking. Not sure that's the skill set Jesse is looking for...
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

CanuckMightyWhite wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:27 pm I agree cjay. We should try for 2 signings of this caliber with the Raphinha money.
Similarly, 2 more with the KP money. Am giddy seeing all these exciting links.
Agree Canuck.

We cant replace Raph and KP with 1 player each, to risky.

Have to replace them with 2 each imo.

We need the depth anyway.

But it worries me that we won't.

Very little faith based on our past.

Can't remember the last time we did the required signings in full.

Always seem to leave ourselves short.
Signed

King Cjay

CanuckMightyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:57 pm Agree Canuck.

We cant replace Raph and KP with 1 player each, to risky.

Have to replace them with 2 each imo.

We need the depth anyway.

But it worries me that we won't.

Very little faith based on our past.

Can't remember the last time we did the required signings in full.

Always seem to leave ourselves short.
Tbf to Radz. He did say 3rd season is when we make the push and we have brought 3 players in who will start. Sure we’d like to hold onto Raph but the replacements being discussed are high calibre and as good as it gets if we get 2 of them (CDK, Gapko, Octavio,Lang). I will give them the benefit of doubt till the end of the window.
We are trying to get away from the likes of Southampton, Brentford etc and smack amongst the likes of Brighton, Villa etc.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Concerning that we need a cm, Am and striker as things stand but apparently we won't do 2 of the 3 without a sale so we will still be short next season as we really need 2 players each to replace KP and Raph not 1

Downside of having owners who won't invest I suppose.

But more worrying is the fact that we seemingly have no Interest in a left back despite having Firpo and nobody else . . . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

Rook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Rook »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:00 pm Concerning that we need a cm, Am and striker as things stand but apparently we won't do 2 of the 3 without a sale so we will still be short next season as we really need 2 players each to replace KP and Raph not 1

But more worrying is the fact that we seemingly have no Interest in a left back despite having Firpo and nobody else . . . . . .

Maybe going 3 at the back, with wing backs?
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:00 pm Concerning that we need a cm, Am and striker as things stand but apparently we won't do 2 of the 3 without a sale so we will still be short next season as we really need 2 players each to replace KP and Raph not 1

We just have to accept this is the Leeds way of doing things, Cjay.

I doubt our board has even noticed the holes & liabilities within our squad, Jesse obviously has, as he is implementing his mark on our squad, but he'll be working under restrictions I suspect.

Tbh I would be really happy to retain Phillips & Raphinha, rather than take risks on replacements who may not be as good or as effective.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Rook wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 pm Maybe going 3 at the back, with wing backs?
Maybe I suppose then you could possibly include Jack Harrison as a left wing back?

Very risky though.

Would have thought even a back up left sided player?

But no one at all?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:18 pm We just have to accept this is the Leeds way of doing things, Cjay.

I doubt our board has even noticed the holes & liabilities within our squad, Jesse obviously has, as he is implementing his mark on our squad, but he'll be working under restrictions I suspect.

Tbh I would be really happy to retain Phillips & Raphinha, rather than take risks on replacements who may not be as good or as effective.
Orta did say that we would continue with the small squad thing.

Had hoped he was bluffing.

Hopefully Jesse can convince them to have a bigger squad as he likes (and we know he does because he has said so) so rather than debating whether it's Bielsa or the boards choice we will know next season a small squad will be the board.

I agree regarding Raph, that's why I like Otavio, he plays a different role and could easily play with Raph.

But I'm OK with selling KP as I am not sure he suits Marsch's style and then sign 2 players who do?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Regarding Charles De Ketelaere.

The talk of only signing him if Raph leaves is rather odd.

On paper the De Ketelaere deal and the Raphinha sale should have no impact on each other.

De Ketelaere is not a winger.

He is a striker which we are meant to he signing anyway.
Signed

King Cjay

JamesG21
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by JamesG21 »

feel like we could have signed one or 2 guys in december and we would be in a different situation. dont really care who we sign now as not really looking forward to this season. hope we get something for raphinha.