Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: January 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by mentalcase »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:52 pm Time and patience. You don't go from being a young talent somewhere else to suddenly coming to Leeds and starting in the premiership. We're a premiership club not a Sunday league club where someone brings their mate along and cos they say he is good the manager plays him straightaway.
Roberts !!!
Couldn't resist. 8-)
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil rarely ever criticises the club, understandable given a good relationship is vital for Phil in his job.

But
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Aaronson has probably been a target for quite a while. I do wonder whether we bid for him in the knowledge that our chances of success were negligible given Salzburg’s progress in the Champions League. Therefore all that effort appears to be no more than lip service to the fans. The more I look at that prospective transfer the more suspicious I get.

Whilst we may not buy anyone the loan option is still there. If we do not try and get anyone in that will be Bielsa’s decision. I am sure if he said to Radz and Co I need a midfielder they would speak to the relevant parties. We know who is available for sure and whilst Newcastle have plenty of wedge I cannot for one minute believe that the likes of Ali, Barclay, Lingard etc would not be interested in working under Bielsa and getting their careers back on track. Even if they are mostly on the bench, it strengthens our options because our bench right now is an absolute joke.

I agree there is no excuse for not attempting to strengthen the squad. Whilst all things considered I do not think we will go down, if we do get dragged back into the mire the abuse that Orta received at Elland Road before Christmas will be a mere trifle compared to what he will get, and Bielsa will probably not be bullet proof either.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Pablos Dream wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:38 pm We’re certainly playing a dangerous game.

My concerns are a Board / Owners who would rather risk relegation than spend money, coupled with a manager who would rather lose than be seen to change his mind.

If we do no business (as seems quite possible) and then get relegated I will never forgive them.
Yes, should we face relegation, wed deserve it. No excuses why we haven't made a decent loan signing with a board of millionaires, we are not Halifax Town.

Welcome Pablo to MOT :tup:

Never replaced your username, have we?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:45 pm Phil rarely ever criticises the club, understandable given a good relationship is vital for Phil in his job.

But
On it now. Phil talking a lot of sense.

These people were at the game, they know their stuff.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

18 months chasing one position and still not managed it . . . .

That's pretty amazing ineptitude.

Sigh
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Speaking on the latest edition of The Phil Hay Show, Hay discussed Leeds boss Bielsa and his strategy in this month’s transfer market. He divulged how much control he has over transfers and the effect that it has on the ins and outs during the window.

He said: “I’ve been told by various people that, this month, he has not been that fussed about people coming in. And I know we’re all on the outside saying ‘you don’t have enough, you need this, you could do with more in midfield’.

“But going right back to the start, he’s never really relied on the transfer market in the way that so many other head coaches do.

“So yeah, it is kind of difficult. And I can imagine there probably are times where the recruitment team at the club are thinking, ‘we could probably do with signing him, or singing him, or we could do with improving this, or this, that and the other’.

“But the final decision will always be Bielsa’s, because it kind of has to be.”
Pablos Dream
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Pablos Dream »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:18 pm Yes, should we face relegation, wed deserve it. No excuses why we haven't made a decent loan signing with a board of millionaires, we are not Halifax Town.

Thanks for the welcome. 👍
What do you mean on the username? I just joined today although have lurked on here for a while.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:12 pm Speaking on the latest edition of The Phil Hay Show, Hay discussed Leeds boss Bielsa and his strategy in this month’s transfer market. He divulged how much control he has over transfers and the effect that it has on the ins and outs during the window.

He said: “I’ve been told by various people that, this month, he has not been that fussed about people coming in. And I know we’re all on the outside saying ‘you don’t have enough, you need this, you could do with more in midfield’.

“But going right back to the start, he’s never really relied on the transfer market in the way that so many other head coaches do.

“So yeah, it is kind of difficult. And I can imagine there probably are times where the recruitment team at the club are thinking, ‘we could probably do with signing him, or singing him, or we could do with improving this, or this, that and the other’.

“But the final decision will always be Bielsa’s, because it kind of has to be.”
Then Bielsa is actively holding the club back.

Either Orta is s**t at providing attractive targets or Bielsa is far far to set in his ways.

For all we appreciate what he has done it is also imo symbolic of a man who has never had to evolve a team, he has his squad who have almost all been with him since he started and because he believes his system is king then he sees no reason to change.

The squad is so exceptionally 1 dimensional and limited I really am concerned about the future. Both the immediate and when Bielsa leaves, the amount of money to make this squad competitive will be astronomical.

Bielsa has worked wonders with what he has but what he has has hit a ceiling and he seemingly is uninterested in evolving.

Know some will blame injuries and whatnot but then refuses to acknowledge the impact no fans had last season, this squad is bottom 5 fully fit, that is the consensus in the footballing world.

Maybe this is just what happens when you give Bielsa fill control? Eventually you hit a wall and because he is not interested in moving forward things come to a natural end?

Probably get stick for this post but it has to be said imo.
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

They always trot out “we’ll only buy if the player is better than what we have”.
Why not someone equally competent, so that we can freshen up the squad, maybe rotate players now and again and give people a rest.
Might help with the injuries.
There Is Only One United.
Pablos Dream
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Pablos Dream »

billysboots wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:43 pm They always trot out “we’ll only buy if the player is better than what we have”.
Why not someone equally competent, so that we can freshen up the squad, maybe rotate players now and again and give people a rest.
Might help with the injuries.
With no disrespect to our squad, it’s not difficult to find players out there who are significantly better than what we’ve got in most positions.

95% of the time we are doing everything on a shoestring with just an occasional splurge like 30m on a really fast runner who’s an ok footballer. If you have mostly championship players and want to pay championship money where will you soon find yourself?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:18 pm Yes, should we face relegation, wed deserve it. No excuses why we haven't made a decent loan signing with a board of millionaires, we are not Halifax Town.

Doesn't matter how rich the board are tbh. What's happened to all the tv money?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:35 pm Then Bielsa is actively holding the club back.

Either Orta is s**t at providing attractive targets or Bielsa is far far to set in his ways.

For all we appreciate what he has done it is also imo symbolic of a man who has never had to evolve a team, he has his squad who have almost all been with him since he started and because he believes his system is king then he sees no reason to change.

The squad is so exceptionally 1 dimensional and limited I really am concerned about the future. Both the immediate and when Bielsa leaves, the amount of money to make this squad competitive will be astronomical.

Bielsa has worked wonders with what he has but what he has has hit a ceiling and he seemingly is uninterested in evolving.

Know some will blame injuries and whatnot but then refuses to acknowledge the impact no fans had last season, this squad is bottom 5 fully fit, that is the consensus in the footballing world.

Maybe this is just what happens when you give Bielsa fill control? Eventually you hit a wall and because he is not interested in moving forward things come to a natural end?

Probably get stick for this post but it has to be said imo.
You won't from me pal, I completely agree. :tup:

I think we've reached breaking point. If Bielsa refuses to allow an overhaul of the squad in the summer, then we need to move on, as we can't continue like this.
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

Anyone ever read Animal Farm?

The windmill fell down.

Now we know who did it.
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

We've all said that radzs is taking an almighty gamble by not bringing anyone in and hoping that players coming back from injuries will lift us out of trouble. The fact of the matter is the likes of klich, Roberts, rodrigo and onnpresent form we can add James and Harrison to those 3 who are not good enough. And yet they regularly play because we have no other options. So it is a big gamble the 3 stooges are taking. It is so frustrating.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Been linked with 26 year old Nigerian Nantes winger Moses Simon.

The Pacey winger has 2 goals and 6 assists this season
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

William wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:31 pm Anyone ever read Animal Farm?

The windmill fell down.

Now we know who did it.
F*ck me spoiler alert next time...... ;-)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

If we can get Minamino and Calvin Ramsay in, then those would be two good signings! Big if though!
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

William wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:31 pm Anyone ever read Animal Farm?

The windmill fell down.

Now we know who did it.
Victor Orta . Only he was trying to knock the barn down but got the wrong one .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I heard the windmill was fine when we brought it to Leeds but then fell down during the first murderball session. Uncomfirmed rumours suggest that a player then fell on it and it now has an undiagnosed injury.