Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Re: January 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by Tyzy »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:56 pm The fact that the JKA case is being heard in March and we could theoretically (and seemingly likely) owe £20million in 2 months time must be playing a part.

The club can deny it all it wants but no way that isn't part of the worry.

I fully expect us to lose as we already lost round 1 so yeah.

Surely this is a factor?
Do we get him back if we pay ?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tyzy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 pm Do we get him back if we pay ?
Nope.

Wouldn't want him earlier :|
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Doesn't get spoken about much because everyone is worried about our midfield and striking situation but goalkeeper is a huge concern.

Norwich have Angus Gunn who has Championship and Premier league experience and has atleast proven himself at Championship and Youth international level.

Newcastle have Freddie Woodman, Championship golden glove winner last season and decorated England youth international

Watford have veteran Ben Foster.

Burnley have experienced veteran Wayne Hennessey.

Asmir Begovic , Spain international Alvaro Fernandez, Jack Butland, Willy Caballero, Danny Ward.

These are some of the number 2 goalkeepers in the Premier league.

We have Kristoffer Klaesson who has conceded 32 goals in 13 games at u23 level managing 1 clean sheet. Who it seems widely accepted by those who watch our u23s is prone to clangers on a regular basis.

A player who has played over 100 career matches and has less than 20 clean sheets.

And who despite the spin about him being some great prospect when we signed him our extensive Scandinavian support almost to as one disagreed and suggested that this was false, he wasn't seen in Norway as some future international number 1 and he was in fact seen as quite poor and League 1 level at best with serious question marks over whether he would even progress beyond that.

I know we make some mad squad choices but our goalkeeping situation may be the maddest of all.

We are potentially 1 Meslier injury away from relegation and Mes isnt perfect but Kristoffer Klaesson is seemingly a crisis in waiting
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 am Doesn't get spoken about much because everyone is worried about our midfield and striking situation but goalkeeper is a huge concern.

Norwich have Angus Gunn who has Championship and Premier league experience and has atleast proven himself at Championship and Youth international level.

Newcastle have Freddie Woodman, Championship golden glove winner last season and decorated England youth international

Asmir Begovic , Spain international Alvaro Fernandez, Jack Butland, Willy Caballero, Danny Ward.

We have Kristoffer Klaesson who has conceded 32 goals in 13 games at u23 level managing 1 clean sheet. Who it seems widely accepted by those who watch our u23s is prone to clangers on a regular basis.

A player who has played over 100 career matches and has less than 20 clean sheets.

And who despite the spin about him being some great prospect when we signed him our extensive Scandinavian support almost to as one disagreed and suggested that this was false, he wasn't seen in Norway as some future international number 1 and he was in fact seen as quite poor and League 1 level at best with serious question marks over whether he would even progress beyond that.

I know we make some mad squad choices but our goalkeeping situation may be the maddest of all.

We are potentially 1 Meslier injury away from relegation and Mes isnt perfect but Kristoffer Klaesson is seemingly a crisis in waiting
If we go down 2 leagues we'll have him and roberts at their perfect level then.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 am Doesn't get spoken about much because everyone is worried about our midfield and striking situation but goalkeeper is a huge concern.

It is a major concern!

My heart sunk when Meslier went down to the ground, grimacing with his injury.

From what I've seen this season I would think Klaesson is nowhere ready for first-team football, yes he made a great save v West Ham U23's, however one great save doesn't make a PL keeper.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Pretty worrying that we need so many replacements/upgrades with not a lot of cash to do so.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sky Sports reporting that we are interested in Blackburn midfielder John Buckley.

He has 1 goal and 6 assists in the Championship this season and 4 goals and 8 assists in 39 matches worth of minutes overall.

He is 22.

And that is it, i know nothing about him, ive never seen him play, ive never heard of him till now.

I find it hard to believe that he is the answer to our midfield prayers, same as i didnt think O'Brien was either.

Doesnt even have a customary YouTube video to watch.

As of January 6th the top 2 for tackles in the Championship were Lewis O'brien and John Buckley. Said before we have our priorities wrong for attacking players, same reason we got James over Lang.
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:43 am It is a major concern!

From what I've seen this season I would think Klaesson is nowhere ready for first-team football, yes he made a great save v West Ham U23's, however one great save doesn't make a PL keeper.
Neither was Meslier when he first came in for Casilla. You have no clue how good Klaesson might be given the chance, neither do I but when I watch him play 23's he makes cracking saves behind a porous defensive line.

How many goals has Meslier conceded ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:46 pm Neither was Meslier when he first came in for Casilla. You have no clue how good Klaesson might be given the chance, neither do I but when I watch him play 23's he makes cracking saves behind a porous defensive line.

How many goals has Meslier conceded ?
I still believe Meslier was further ahead than Klaesson when he replaced Casilla.

Time will tell, fingers cross we won't have to use him this season, which gives him breathing space for his development.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think he was ... hindsight is a wonderful thing but I recall the worry here before Ilan made his debut
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:28 pm As of January 6th the top 2 for tackles in the Championship were Lewis O'brien and John Buckley. Said before we have our priorities wrong for attacking players, same reason we got James over Lang.
I would think that in making our midfield tougher it gives our attacking player more license to attack. A bit like how having Batty in our midfield allowed McAllister and Strachan to pull the strings. If we are to consider that most of the recent praise for Tyler Roberts seems to be because of him dropping back into midfield and winning the ball then having better tacklers i the central midfield would allow Roberts to not have to drop deep as often and he (or whoever else plays in the 10 role) can then be more attack focussed.

I don't think Forshaw is best suited to the no 4 position. I think people expect him to play there due to him not being known for goals or assists. Don't forget that when Bielsa came in he opted to use KP for the no.4 role not Forshaw. He then used Forshaw in a much more attacking role the following season and Forshaw played well (albiet not scoring) in that attacking role. I think Bielsa wants someone to play the no.4 role and it then allows the other central midfielders to contest the other positions.

It may also be that Bielsa is getting KP's successor in as I can see the big 4 circling for KP in the summer and there would be no way we could match the wages they could pay him. We also have the poor record in games when KP has been missing so having someone more suited to play there when KP is out injured or suspended makes a lot of sense.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm I don't think he was ... hindsight is a wonderful thing but I recall the worry here before Ilan made his debut
Messlier looked very raw for us when he made his debut. He had played a few game in the French 2nd Division prior to coming to us which may well be on a par with Klaeson's experience. I think there was a lot of worry after the Cardiff defeat (first game back post lockdown) when Messlier had seemed rooted for both the goals we conceded.

No idea how good or bad Klaeson will be but it is the same risk, in my opinion, as we took with Messlier as our back-up.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:14 pm Messlier looked very raw for us when he made his debut. He had played a few game in the French 2nd Division prior to coming to us which may well be on a par with Klaeson's experience. I think there was a lot of worry after the Cardiff defeat (first game back post lockdown) when Messlier had seemed rooted for both the goals we conceded.

No idea how good or bad Klaeson will be but it is the same risk, in my opinion, as we took with Messlier as our back-up.
My thoughts exactly, he could be a liability but we won't know till he gets games. He does look a good shot stopper though and is highly rated
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm I don't think he was ... hindsight is a wonderful thing but I recall the worry here before Ilan made his debut
I was concerned with our first team keeper, Kiko :lol:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:43 am It is a major concern!

We could always bring Bailey back on loan :love:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:29 pm We could always bring Bailey back on loan :love:
No, no, no Swannie.

BPF is now playing League One football at Hillsborough on loan from Burnley, the team who haven't got enough players to play their matches.

Once they have spent some of their £25m windfall from the Wood sale & their star player Cornet returns from African Cup duty, I'm sure Burnley will be eager to join in playing hoof ball again.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We are now past the half way mark of the January transfer window.

Our inability to be proactive in January has been a real issue since Orta arrived

We should have had a midfielder in by now, its incredibly poor planning imo.

We have had months, years to prepare.

Yes I know the January market is generally a sellers market but that is our fault for such a poor summer window.

We should have been much more proactive and organised.
Signed

King Cjay

Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 pm We are now past the half way mark of the January transfer window.

Our inability to be proactive in January has been a real issue since Orta arrived

We should have had a midfielder in by now, its incredibly poor planning imo.

We have had months, years to prepare.
I agree with you its baffling, and we cannot use the bullshit of theres no one available in january, thats bull there are players out there, im gutted we didnt get coutinho thats the type of player who would get us clear of the relegation drop. i'm inside fuming.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Scoobychief wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:20 pm I agree with you its baffling, and we cannot use the bullshit of theres no one available in january, thats bull there are players out there, im gutted we didnt get coutinho thats the type of player who would get us clear of the relegation drop. i'm inside fuming.
There are, but NON any better than we already have.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm There are, but NON any better than we already have.
My Arse