Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 pm We are Southampton as you say.

All the European talk is just PR.

2. Radz is on record for saying he is happy with a mid table club.

1. We were pushing for Europe this season he said last season, now its 10-14th

And we are 95% done on transfers according to Orta.
1. And got castigated for it here.
2 and is getting castigated for it here
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:12 pm 1. And got castigated for it here.
2 and is getting castigated for it here
Probably because he never puts his money where his mouth is?

We're going for Europe but our midfield signing is an injury prone 30 year old who's been injured for two years :lol:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Any excitement behind that Bamba Dieng? Watching Marseilles today. He's not even on the bench.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Perhaps he's injured therefore he'll be signing for us once he's passed the 'medical' !

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So what do we think

Are we done?

By all accounts nothing is close or advanced.

It's clear the left back situation was being ignored and only Firpo getting injured made them think a bit, but still a clear lack of urgency.

They went all in tunnel vision style on De Ketelaere and again had nothing lined up as a back up depsite Marsch saying more than once we moved on from De Ketelaere weeks ago.

We've seen before from Orta his planning is very poor, he gets obsessed with 1 player and has no backup ready.

A noticeable change in tone from Marsch imo regarding transfers, don't think it's a coincidence this happened after he spoke to Radrizzani.

More talk of Rodrigo and Gelhardt and Struijk etc as options.

Dampening expectations.

Does feel like same as midfield (which is still light tbh) the club have again got a blindspot that everyone else can see.

Striker and left back.

So will we do any more business? (Aside from a backup goalie which is meh)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jesse indicates it isn't done. But you can't buy what isnt available or affordable

Junior is first choice Lwb in any cas aw w er.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Pointless spending all that money on Firpo if we're gonna replace him after one year. We need to give players a proper chance rather than constantly wasting money.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

If we don't bring in anyone I don't think it will be policy.

ManU can't find a striker and Citeh were in that place last year.

Billy Sharpe still going?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:20 pm Pointless spending all that money on Firpo if we're gonna replace him after one year. We need to give players a proper chance rather than constantly wasting money.
They were never going to replace Firpo after one season.

It would be another admittance of an Orta mistake.

Would imagine this was made clear to Marsch so he has no choice but to publicly back Firpo.

Doesn't excuse the fact we are totally ignoring a glaring weakness in the squad in a style that is very reliant on full backs.

Still feel we are a cm, attacking player and left back short.

And you could make a very good case for a better cb if you want to be ultra critical.
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 pm Probably because he never puts his money where his mouth is?
Nope, bought the club on tic, hasnt invested a penny in getting us a decent manager.
TA is nothing more than a gravel pit with the physio table just a smelly mattress.
Refused to keep on the staff during covid, didnt supplement the squads wage bill by £1M a month.
Didnt upgrade Elland Road one bit.
Pocketed the sales of Raph and KP and had it away on his toes.

The atrocities go on.

Some of us would be happier in League One
'
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:20 pm Pointless spending all that money on Firpo if we're gonna replace him after one year. We need to give players a proper chance rather than constantly wasting money.
What money?
'
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Cjay wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:03 pm
We've seen before from Orta his planning is very poor, he gets obsessed with 1 player and has no backup ready.
I absolutely agree we need a striker and LB. But saying Orta’s planning is very poor is a bit harsh given he had Rasmus, Adams, Aaronsen and Roca signed within the first 2 weeks. That is pretty decent planning in my books.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Aussieleeds wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:25 pm I absolutely agree we need a striker and LB. But saying Orta’s planning is very poor is a bit harsh given he had Rasmus, Adams, Aaronsen and Roca signed within the first 2 weeks. That is pretty decent planning in my books.
First time he has been a bit organised I suppose :lol:

But we are told he has this list of multiple targets for every position, and yet.

Wanted Aaronson in January despite Salzburg being very clear they wouldn't sell, didn't get anyone else despite us being in a desperate situation.

Took literally years to sign a midfielder of any sort despite us needing one.

Got so obsessed with Che Adams that Southampton apparently had to tell him to stop calling.

Because he wasted so long he panics and gets JKA.

Spent ages on De Ketelaere despite it being very clear once Milan were involved we were out. Marsch said we moved on 3 weeks ago to other targets, where are they?

He has a history for poor planning or obsession.

Maybe this summer was a bit different but we are still struggling for depth and in multiple positions.

And if we planned better we wouldn't be needing to do a complete overhaul in 1 summer.

Better organised teams would have started this last summer.
Signed

King Cjay

Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Cjay wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:37 pm First time he has been a bit organised I suppose :lol:

But we are told he has this list of multiple targets for every position, and yet.

Wanted Aaronson in January despite Salzburg being very clear they wouldn't sell, didn't get anyone else despite us being in a desperate situation.

Got so obsessed with Che Adams that Southampton apparently had to tell him to stop calling.

Spent ages on De Ketelaere despite it being very clear once Milan were involved we were out. Marsch said we moved on 3 weeks ago to other targets, where are they?

Maybe this summer was a bit different but we are still struggling for depth and in multiple positions.

And if we planned better we wouldn't be needing to do a complete overhaul in 1 summer.

Without wanting to start a Sh1tfight, I don’t think the recruitment targets/signings in the last couple of seasons were entirely his doing. If they were, then he needs some credit for signing Raph, eh?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orta makes very few mistakes
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Cjay wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:37 pm First time he has been a bit organised I suppose :lol:

Oops duplicate
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Aussieleeds wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:25 pm I absolutely agree we need a striker and LB. But saying Orta’s planning is very poor is a bit harsh given he had Rasmus, Adams, Aaronsen and Roca signed within the first 2 weeks. That is pretty decent planning in my books.
AGREED
Aussieleeds wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:25 pm Without wanting to start a Sh1tfight, I don’t think the recruitment targets/signings in the last couple of seasons (including last summer) were entirely his doing. If they were, then he needs some credit for signing Raph, eh?
AGREED
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:37 pm Better organised teams would have started this last summer.
I think most of that was down to Bielsa's stubbornness
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Aussieleeds wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:44 pm Without wanting to start a Sh1tfight, I don’t think the recruitment targets/signings in the last couple of seasons were entirely his doing. If they were, then he needs some credit for signing Raph, eh?
I agree.

But ultimately he (as he said in an interview) is responsible for every signing we make.

It's his scouting team, his staff, he signs off every signing.

He does deserve credit for Raph but then as Radz has said himself we operate on policy of signing players we can make profit on.

Would we make a profit on any other Premier League first team signing we have made?

Firpo
James
Koch
Llorente
Rodrigo
?

Harrison perhaps and Meslier.

But Costa, JKA, will quite possibly lose £10s of million on both.

Maybe a few u23s like Gelhardt or potentially Summerville.

But then dozens more we won't.

I don't really get why we are spending 7 figure sums on u23s like Greenwood and Bate and Gyabi when the first team needs the funds more.

That to me is running before you can walk, trying to operate like a Chelsea or a Man City with a fraction of the financial budget.

I agree he isn't entirely to blame and hasn't been a total failure but if we take it as a necessity as it seemingly is that we sign players with sell on potential then Orta is probably at a less than 20% success rate.

Hopefully with Marsch we may see a bit more success.

Hopefully the u23s will come good.

But imo we need to see more instant impact from first team signings.

We can't keep having to write off 1 season and hoping they improve as we have almost every first team signing since promotion.

Anyway.

Hopefully some movement soon :)
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:33 pm I think most of that was down to Bielsa's stubbornness
Signed

King Cjay