Newcastle United Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Chris Wood having medical. £25m

Post by Carrick Dave »

Sounds like 10% then. Better than nowt.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Will be a big blow for Burnley considering how well he has consistently done for them. Even if he doesn't do well for Newcastle it may not matter as it may condemn Burnley and result in Newcastle having 1 more team below them.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jesus, Dan James is twice the player for the same price
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:12 pm Jesus, Dan James is twice the player for the same price
This isn't having a go at Dan James................but do you really think so ?

IMO Chris Wood is a very decent player and much underrated, who I think will do well at Newcastle.

CW's PL stats show 50 goals (inc. some real crackers - for a team consistently much nearer the bottom than anywhere near the top) in 155 apps; whilst DJ has 8 goals in 65 apps.

Not really a MB team/style of player I would acknowledge, but we could do with someone who puts the ball in the net with CW's regularity at the moment.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never rated Wood at all, Just a big lump. So yes, absolutely
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

In his 4 full seasons at Burnley they have scored 157 goals at Premier league level

Wood has scored or assisted 53 of those.

He isnt a fancy name but their are players who have played for far bigger clubs and have cost far more that would give there left foot for a record like that.

Smart signing by Newcastle and aside from Bamford id take Wood over our other senior strikers.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:54 am In his 4 full seasons at Burnley they have scored 157 goals at Premier league level

Wood has scored or assisted 53 of those.

He isnt a fancy name but their are players who have played for far bigger clubs and have cost far more that would give there left foot for a record like that.

Smart signing by Newcastle and aside from Bamford id take Wood over our other senior strikers.
Agree, Cjay
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Chris Wood lump of wood as he was known I reckon Newcastle have paid well over the odds and apart from heading the ball don't think he is much else. Really surprised at that signing, in my opinion that was a panic buy from Newcastle I can well see them getting another striker before window shuts
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Scoobychief wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:18 am Chris Wood lump of wood as he was known I reckon Newcastle have paid well over the odds and apart from heading the ball don't think he is much else. Really surprised at that signing, in my opinion that was a panic buy from Newcastle I can well see them getting another striker before window shuts
I think a clever buy by Newcastle as it has seriously weakened one of their main relegation rivals. If Wood also scores a couple of goals that end up winning matches for Newcastle it might be enough to keep them up.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

It just shows what Leeds are up against. Villa bring in Coutinho, once trabnsferred for 145 million and on 380k a week, Newcastle buy a player for £25 million just to head a few goals, but realistically he will be dumped pretty quickly once he does that job.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Mountain wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 am It just shows what Leeds are up against. Villa bring in Coutinho, once trabnsferred for 145 million and on 380k a week, Newcastle buy a player for £25 million just to head a few goals, but realistically he will be dumped pretty quickly once he does that job.
I suppose you could say £25m is like back pocket change to Newcastle now. As you say, probably just a temporary fix in an attempt to stay up this year. If they do they’ll be competing in the £100m price range next year!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 am I think a clever buy by Newcastle as it has seriously weakened one of their main relegation rivals. If Wood also scores a couple of goals that end up winning matches for Newcastle it might be enough to keep them up.
Very clever move in that respect :tup:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Didn't likeWood at first but correct me if I'm wrong, his tally was around 1 in 2 for us, thats a great return.
Hope we have a sell on fee due.
I think its smart business from Newcastle, Burnley have the £25 million for a 30 yr old, again good business, but, Newcastle drag a top scorer from a rival for relegation, if Wood keeps Newcastle up, it will be fantastic business, that seems like 2 clubs looking for a way out of a relegation battle instead of relying on what they already have.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 am I think a clever buy by Newcastle as it has seriously weakened one of their main relegation rivals. If Wood also scores a couple of goals that end up winning matches for Newcastle it might be enough to keep them up.
Equally as a good a chance it makes Burnley better and Newcastle worse .... Addition by subtraction plus they get 25M, maybe, to spend on someone..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:49 am Equally as a good a chance it makes Burnley better and Newcastle worse .... Addition by subtraction plus they get 25M, maybe, to spend on someone..
Yes, Burnley may have a clever signing in mind, as they did in the summer with Cornet.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

With Callum Wilson ruled out for two months due to a calf-injury, Newcastle have wasted no time finding a similar replacement.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Byebyegeegee wrote: I suppose you could say £25m is like back pocket change to Newcastle now. As you say, probably just a temporary fix in an attempt to stay up this year. If they do they’ll be competing in the £100m price range next year!
Someone like Grealish then .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Newcastle will attempt to sign another striker after Chris Wood.

As we have already seen this season standing still at this level will get you bitten on the bum.

Fair play to Newcastle for being proactive not reactive.

We could learn a bit from them.

And before people talk about money, between the venture capitalists backers and Radz we have a top 6 net worth for Premier league owners.

Money in theory should not be an issue for us.

It's only an issue when your investors don't want to invest and this is something that will become more and more frequent if the venture capitalists takeover as they have not invested 1 single penny into LUFC personally.

Only doing so by buying Radz shares and he then invests the money they paid him.
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oh dear Cjay, we are in for a rough ride then, it's turbulent enough now.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:48 pm We could learn a bit from them.
Have a weak manager and just throw tens of millions at aging stop gap players to fight off relegation as part of a sportswashing process?

There is not one thing I would want Leeds to learn from NUFC, they (and Man City) are stains on football.