Aston Villa Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Aston Villa Thread - Did Grealish's exit cost Smith his Villa job?

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:13 am Did Grealish's exit cost Smith his Villa job?
He never found a way to win without Grealish, that was the problem.

We've had similar issues under Bielsa.

First with Hernandez.

Now with KP.

And probably with Raph id imagine.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:13 am Did Grealish's exit cost Smith his Villa job?
I think it did. The stats for the previous couple of years seemed to suggest how overly reliant they were on Grealish. A bit like Norwich selling Buendia, Villa sold their best player, and didn't really replace him - although weirdly coincidental that Buendia was really the Grealish replacement. The boards cashed in and neither club benefitted.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Have to agree. Take Raph out of our side and it would be a struggle. Grealish was a special player in that he is always in the thick of the action even if it is getting fouled alot. I say was because he is now a small fish in a big pond, he won't mind tho he's loaded and will have medals to show at the end of his career.

I don't mind Villa, but i prefer Birmingham especially with Bowyer being down there. Good honest bunch the Brummies. I enjoy watching Davo's diary its a real down to earth affair.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Take Raph out of the side and there would be a period of adjustment but we'd be fine in the long run. Summerville isn't far away from being that quality right winger, he's as quick, with good vision and excellent feet.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:15 pm Take Raph out of the side and there would be a period of adjustment but we'd be fine in the long run. Summerville isn't far away from being that quality right winger, he's as quick, with good vision and excellent feet.
Nowhere near the same class yet, mate.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:15 pm Take Raph out of the side and there would be a period of adjustment but we'd be fine in the long run. Summerville isn't far away from being that quality right winger, he's as quick, with good vision and excellent feet.
You are greatly underestimating Raph I think.

I like Summerville but he is miles away from being Raph's level atm.

Not even close.

Raph would score and create 5 goals a game at u23 level at the moment :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Take Raph out of this side and we should be about £80m richer... the rest is your opinion. :tup:
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Cjay wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:41 pm You are greatly underestimating Raph I think.

Not even close.

Part of me would love to see Raph play just one U23 game just to see all his tricks and show how much of a cut-above he is.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:11 pm Part of me would love to see Raph play just one U23 game just to see all his tricks and show how much of a cut-above he is.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:00 pm Take Raph out of this side and we should be about £80m richer... the rest is your opinion. :tup:
Well f**king duh !!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:41 pm You are greatly underestimating Raph I think.

Not even close.

1. I didn't compare Raph with Summerville I said Summerville could become a very good right winger in his own right given game time.
2. "would score and create " is remarkably accurate. Is that would score 5 goals and create 5 more or score one and create 5? ...
3. God forbid anyone say anything positive about Leeds and try to counter the awful negative vibe of the doom laden forum
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Whenever I saw villa laking the tactics were obvious, pass to grealish high up the pitch, let him run with it, as soon as an opposite player goes near him, grealish dives, villa get free-kick in dangerous position, worked everytime.
Grealish is a good player without doubt, notice how he stays on his feet more now he's at a team with a proper tactical manager, also, the reporters are now saying grealish knows how to draw a foul, massive difference from being the most fouled player in t' league.
Still hope villa go down.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:36 pm 1. I didn't compare Raph with Summerville I said Summerville could become a very good right winger in his own right given game time.
2. "would score and create " is remarkably accurate. Is that would score 5 goals and create 5 more or score one and create 5? ...
3. God forbid anyone say anything positive about Leeds and try to counter the awful negative vibe of the doom laden forum
1) You said that Summerville "wasnt that far away from being that quality (meaning Raph level) right winger". That is a comparison in my book.

2) It was meant as a way to illustrate that whilst Summerville has really shone at u23 level Raph would be levels up at that level and would be like a grown man joining in with an u7s match.

3) You know i strongly reject the "doom" implication and negativity bollocks that some try to put on to anyone who doesnt sing Marching ON Together at every opportunity and say that everything is rosy and fine at the club, realism not negativity and doom.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

And at no point has anyone on this doom laden forum called for Bielsa to be sacked with any sustained ferocity.

That is not the case on the Villa forum for Smith, or the Spurs one for Nuno, or the Watford forum for Xisco or on the Norwich forum for Farke or on the Toon forum for Bruce.

Neither is it the case on the Leicester forum for Rodgers, the Everton one for Benitez or the Southampton forum for Hassenhuttl.

Maybe this forum isnt so doom laden after all and despite the concern hasnt stooped to those levels as other fans of other teams have including teams above us
Signed

King Cjay

Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:36 pm
Forgot all about this! He was probably just running at 50% capacity/level.

And a special word for Hernandez, god do I (and our team) miss him. Some of those passes in that reel there are sublime.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:36 pm 3. God forbid anyone say anything positive about Leeds and try to counter the awful negative vibe of the doom laden forum
Careful Faaip, active player/manager/ownership support or encouragement on here can lead to practically universal dismissal as unenlightened and naive.

Only caustic and attritional comment on our club is accepted.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:27 pm
3) You know i strongly reject the "doom" implication and negativity bollocks that some try to put on to anyone who doesnt sing Marching ON Together at every opportunity and say that everything is rosy and fine at the club, realism not negativity and doom.
Realism is relative Cjay.

For me it’s playing in the Premiership again which was not guaranteed in my lifetime, having a world-renowned coach at the helm and enjoying supporting my team and relishing the football they occasionally play against the best teams in the country.

For me, reality is reading endless negativity masquerading behind the banner of “realism”.

Please point me to the last post you made that was not negative, sorry, realistic.

Ignore this if it’s just more rose tinted bollocks.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

The writing was on the wall when he dropped his captain that never ends well
You can't just go around replacing outstanding footballers like Grealish..he's the type of player you build your team around.
If I sold Grealish to Louella pigeon world
How do I replace him
It would cost me 10× the money

No he lost his job when he dropped Mings
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

When you say take Raph out of this side we would be ok in the long run... What exactly do you mean? :duno: I was implying take Raph out of this side now and we would be playing Championship football next season. Summerville or no Jimmy.