The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th April) - Hay amazed at amount of unhappy Leeds fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th April) Hay amazed at amount of unhappy Leeds fans

Post by Chilli D »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am We have signed so many players that I can't remember a small fraction of them.

But vague memory - and I could still be wrong - but wasn't there someone who signed for us and the left within a ridiculously short period. I think it may have been during the Wise era.

And I seem to remember someone signing and basically not trying because he didn't really want to sign in the first place. Or he just asked to leave when things didn't go well - wanted to go back to his previous club. Name escapes me.
I think the person you are on about who didn't want to sign was Kevin Nicholls, Harry. He came from Luton if I remember rightly. And yes, he was shite.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th April) Hay amazed at amount of unhappy Leeds fans

Post by HarryofOz »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:46 am I think the person you are on about who didn't want to sign was Kevin Nicholls, Harry. He came from Luton if I remember rightly. And yes, he was shite.
Thanks Chilli, that sounds right.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am First of all seeing that our defending has improved so how anyone can say that we haven't learnt from our mistakes beggars belief.

Secondly comparing Bielsa or any Leeds player or any footballer or any sportsperson's job to a other types of jobs is simply ridiculous.

In other jobs it is simply (for the most part) a case of learning from your mistakes. You do not have a situation like you do in football (or any sport) where an opponent is trying to make you make mistakes or to outperform you on a one-on-one basis. There is no comparison to working in an office or running a bank or waiting on tables, or building bridges or designing buildings or fishing for herring or treating people medically or controlling traffic or driving a bus and playing sport. The circumstances are completely totally and utterly different.
Get a sense of perspective man, it's just a game at the end of the day. Over inflated salaries and egos, there is no real heroism to it, most times very fickle.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Overman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:54 am Get a sense of perspective man, it's just a game at the end of the day. Over inflated salaries and egos, there is no real heroism to it, most times very fickle.
What are you talking about?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 am I do scream at the TV why didn't you put him and/or the ball in row Z
😂 just like Big Jack used to do, God rest his soul. Like all us Leeds fans I loved Big Jack but watching him trying to run with the ball was like watching Bambi on ice, scary but hilarious at the same time.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 am I said it a few weeks back, Marcello could do alot worse than to have a look at how MC have turned it around defensively, they play with the same principles albeit with better players.
I think that is a key fact, City can spend £50m+ on defenders who can do all the ballplaying stuff as well as actually defend. Same with Liverpool with Van Dijk. We aren't able to do that. Unless we have a Woodgate coming through the youth system then we are reliant on signing players that would probably get mainly B's and C's in all the areas that Bielsa wants whereas City would get mainly A's and a couple of B's. Spending £15m or so on defenders like Koch and Llorente is cheap nowadays so we're gambling on sutff like Llorente staying fit - if he didn't have his injury problems then you're probably looking at a £50m defender there and no coincidence that we have been conceding less with him in the team.

I still feel that if we'd had a settled defence all season, no matter which players it was, we'd have done a lot better in terms of conceding less. A defence needs understanding it is a defensive unit, you play next to the same players every match and you know their strengths and weaknesses, you know when to be on your toes to cover etc.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unhappy Leeds fans this season

WOW!

Harrison replacement

Costa unfortunately

Some of the worst unmentioned signings

Anthony Elding
Roque Junior
Michael Ricketts
Felix Wiedwald
Cameron Borthwick-Johnson
Lauren De Bock
Paul Okon
Matt Grimes
Adryan the Dolphin
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:16 am How crazy is it that some fans are not content with Bielsa. Short memories and over expectation.
The whole ethos of the club has changed, what he has done is not just about the team, it is the whole club. We were in complete disarray 3 years ago.
Maybe some of the signings haven’t met expectations but that is the nature of the game, there are no certs.
He has me scratching my head on occasion with selections but that is the nature of the armchair manager, always assuming they know best.
Welcome to the MOT board pal.

So much credit needs to go to Radrizzani and Orta as well....
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Not just Josh Warrington now for Boxing fans to shout for, looks like we have another Whites fan entering the arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6s5XSIpvRI

She can count on my support.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:04 am Worse signings.

Ruchubka

Hunt

Paynter

Kebe

Cameron Stewart
You could probably list almost anyone from the Bates era , players and managers and come up with probable candidates for worst signings ever . I think overall during that time it was unusual for anyone signed to be actually any good , especially the last few seasons of Bates control . I know I have slagged off Warnock (Neil not Stephen ) many a time , but the reality is that it was almost impossible to judge any manager of that era properly due to the cretin in charge of the club .
There are too many players in that era that could be reasonably included that I couldn't make a list , however Rachubka and Paynter are probably banker inclusions .
It makes this season even more special when you look back at that era .
Last edited by Clacton White on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm I think that is a key fact, City can spend £50m+ on defenders who can do all the ballplaying stuff as well as actually defend. Same with Liverpool with Van Dijk. We aren't able to do that. Unless we have a Woodgate coming through the youth system then we are reliant on signing players that would probably get mainly B's and C's in all the areas that Bielsa wants whereas City would get mainly A's and a couple of B's. Spending £15m or so on defenders like Koch and Llorente is cheap nowadays so we're gambling on sutff like Llorente staying fit - if he didn't have his injury problems then you're probably looking at a £50m defender there and no coincidence that we have been conceding less with him in the team.

I still feel that if we'd had a settled defence all season, no matter which players it was, we'd have done a lot better in terms of conceding less. A defence needs understanding it is a defensive unit, you play next to the same players every match and you know their strengths and weaknesses, you know when to be on your toes to cover etc.
I agree a settled unit would have resulted in less chaos. We still don't know our best CB pair and the season is almost over. Meslier has been brilliant and saved us a few points. Its the way we go about defending corners at times which makes the players look like they don't know what they are doing. Man marking is ok if someone is willing to take charge of the ball, at times we look like we are more concerned with the player than the ball.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Has anyone been been hit by the ball whilst at a game?
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

We are monumentally bad at defending set pieces, someone earning millions a year, and being so thorough with everything else ought to be across this.

At times, it looks like the only way we'll concede a goal... why accept this?

However, I can't be unhappy with where we are up to so far - comfortably safe with 8 games to go, and the possibility of a top half finish as a reward for a solid first term back in the big league.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm Has anyone been been hit by the ball whilst at a game?
Yes... QPR at home in 1994.

Ray Wilkins did it.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ron Swanson wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 pm We are monumentally bad at defending set pieces, someone earning millions a year, and being so thorough with everything else ought to be across this.

At times, it looks like the only way we'll concede a goal... why accept this?

However, I can't be unhappy with where we are up to so far - comfortably safe with 8 games to go, and the possibility of a top half finish as a reward for a solid first term back in the big league.
Well said Ron.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ron Swanson wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:29 pm Yes... QPR at home in 1994.

Ray Wilkins did it.
Ouch!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Martin Sykes
@MartinSykes6

Everton v Spurs in 95 at Elland road, full on side of the face, hurt like hell, tried to hide the pain and kick the ball back but slipped in front of the Everton fans, double whammy, red face from both pain and embarrassment

Lee Parker
@L_D_P86
Alan Sheehan hit me square in the face at MK Dons when one of his freekicks missed the target in the warm up!

Rick
@RJWalkington
Michael Duberry knocked my Grandpa's Glasses off with an unnecessary clearance into the East Stand Lower Face with tears of joy

Chris Eyre
@leedsfan72
I remember my mum once did when I was a kid back in the 80’s. Not sure if that was before or after she’d thrown a copper’s helmet into the crowd!!

MrsTW
@fakeboff
Borussia Park full in the face knocked me off my feet

Mark Stevo!
@markstevo72
I got hit in the warm up by Rudy Austin put my arm up to block it & it felt like id broke it.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Overman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:54 am Get a sense of perspective man, it's just a game at the end of the day. Over inflated salaries and egos, there is no real heroism to it, most times very fickle.
Speaking of ego's... surprise surprise...trying to alter the way of things :)
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 am I remember Warnock signing Ryan Hall I think his name was. He came with a reputation of having a bad attitude as if the game owed him a living.
He was useless and quickly drifted down the leagues into oblivion.
Yep Chilli another waste of talent
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:23 pm 😂 just like Big Jack used to do, God rest his soul. Like all us Leeds fans I loved Big Jack but watching him trying to run with the ball was like watching Bambi on ice, scary but hilarious at the same time.
True :lol: :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't