Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 20th December 16:30| Old Trafford

Leeds make the historic 48 mile journey across the Penines to re-ignite the bitter feud - the War of the Roses. It's been 16 long years since the two sides have met in the league, though Leeds fans will remember Simon Grayson's Leeds knocking Fergie's Reds out of the FA Cup in 2011. The two sides have met in Cup competitions since then, though they have been one sided affairs. The massive gulf that once existed between the two sides has all but evaporated, and are separated by just three points. Leeds have actually scored three more goals than their opponents.

Leeds will be heartened by their midweek performance, having putting five past Newcastle. Unfortunately for the Whites, they can't seem to stop conceding. There are no new injury worries for Bielsa, Diego Llorente remains out, while Gaetano Berardi, Adam Forshaw and Robin Koch are long-term absentees. We can expect him to name an unchanged team on Sunday. Pablo Hernandez's cameo role would not have gone unnoticed by the Argentine having made two assists in eight minutes. Manchester United also have no new injury concerns for the visit of Leeds United, with Edinson Cavani expected to return following a muscular injury. David de Gea, Scott McTominay and Luke Shaw could feature after being rested against Sheffield United.

The game takes place on the 90th anniversary of Leeds United's biggest win against Manchester United, a 5-0 triumph at Elland Road in 1930. But Manchester United have not lost at home to Leeds in a league fixture since 1981, winning nine and drawing six of the subsequent 15 meetings. This will be the first league meeting between the sides since a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford in February 2004. Leeds won their most recent away game at Old Trafford, 1-0 in the FA Cup in January 2010.

Manchester United have earned 16 points out of the last 18 available, winning five games and drawing the other. However, they have managed just one victory in six league matches at Old Trafford, scoring three goals in total. Leeds United have won only twice in seven Premier League matches, drawing one and losing four. Leeds' victory against Newcastle United last weekend was the first time in 34 attempts they have come from behind to win a Premier League game. Bielsa has beaten Manchester United twice in his managerial career, winning home and away with Athletic Club in the last 16 of the 2011-12 Europa League.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Dallas, Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Moreno, Raphinha, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Struijk, Casey, Davis, Shackleton, Costa, Roberts, Hernandez, Poveda
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester United v Leeds United Match thread

Post by 1964white »

Phillips on four :booked: :booked: :booked: :booked: cards

Klich on four :booked: :booked: :booked: :booked: cards
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Just watching this lot play against Sheffield United.

We are going to have to be very careful. This lot will tear us apart on the counterattack otherwise.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If they win their two games in hand their second..Did someone ay OGS was out of his depth
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Worried about set pieces again. Say what you will about Maguire as a defender, but he's definitely handy in the air at corners and free kicks.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

My caveat is I can only hope that Patrick does his thing again and Marcus does not.
Otherwise I think both sides are fairly even.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

The Scum have a lot of expensive players that individually are more skilled than our players.
But Scum don't play as team.
Pogba is the antithesis of what Leeds and Bielsa are all about, and he'll be off in the near future.
I believe we'll beat them as our collective team play and spirit is better than theirs.
Yes, we're crap at taking and defending set-pieces, but their defence is also suspect.
OGS is clueless imo, and will be out of a job sometime this season.
We've nothing to fear about the Scum these days.
I believe Scum will finish about 9th or 10th, they're a million miles away from Liverpool's standard.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

January 3rd, remember the date...
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Whilst I agree we have nothing to fear from Scum, we have to be careful, like us they are defensivly suspect, offensively can be a power house,like us. They have two games in hand, win those and they are 2nd in the league to Liddypool... If OGS is the one holding them back, lets hope he stays!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

In the Premier League this season

Scum have won all their away matches

Home = Won 1 Drew 2 Lost 3

Also failed miserably again in the CL :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:21 am The Scum have a lot of expensive players that individually are more skilled than our players.
But Scum don't play as team.
Pogba is the antithesis of what Leeds and Bielsa are all about, and he'll be off in the near future.
I believe we'll beat them as our collective team play and spirit is better than theirs.
Yes, we're crap at taking and defending set-pieces, but their defence is also suspect.
OGS is clueless imo, and will be out of a job sometime this season.
We've nothing to fear about the Scum these days.
I believe Scum will finish about 9th or 10th, they're a million miles away from Liverpool's standard.
Great post WR

Really hope we beat this lot for football's sake
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

LOL we've gone from a team that is definitely going to lose to Newcastle unless Bielsa rings the changes to a team that is going to easily account for Man Utd.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:26 am January 3rd, remember the date...
Oh I do Harry :-D

One of the lucky 9,000 Leeds fans at OT, what a great day

Jermaine Beckford :scar1
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:26 am Oh I do Harry :-D

One of the lucky 9,000 Leeds fans at OT, what a great day

Jermaine Beckford :scar1
It must have been amazing to be there.

It's my birthday, so that was a bonus pressie :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think we have a lot to fear with their attacking players tbh, we have to try and cut off the supply, Pogba has found some form and is setting up a lot of their goals, Phillip's to man mark possibly.
No good us putting high crosses in, we have to keep it on the floor with pace, that's where their back line is susceptible.
May have to e mail Bielsa that, don't think he will have noticed.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:24 am Great post WR

Really hope we beat this lot for football's sake
Cheers 64 :tup:

I believe our lads will go there with a lot of confidence and expect us to win. Scum have been starting poorly, same against a very poor Blunts side, so if we get an early goal and press them well it will put the cat amongst the pigeons.

They still won't have forgotten that mauling that Spurs gave them :lol:

They were decent going forward against the Blunts, but still had some very shaky moments defensively in that match.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

White Riot wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:59 am Cheers 64 :tup:

I believe our lads will go there with a lot of confidence and expect us to win. Scum have been starting poorly, same against a very poor Blunts side, so if we get an early goal and press them well it will put the cat amongst the pigeons.

They still won't have forgotten that mauling that Spurs gave them :lol:

They were decent going forward against the Blunts, but still had some very shaky moments defensively in that match.
Two shaky defences = lots of goals...
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 am Two shaky defences = lots of goals...
Yes mate,

I did predict 1-3 but think it could easily end up being 3-4 win for us.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm not sure players are ever 'fearful' of other players, more likely wary and respectful of players of a certain standard.
We will certainly need to be wary of their front three and they have Fernandes pulling their strings in midfield.
They're not pulling up any trees so far but it will be a tough game. The nature of the fixture demands that the players give their all and at least the scum won't have 75,000 fans backing them.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I just can't make a case for us in this game with our current defence. I used to think it was stop Fernandes and stop United, but when you have a front 4 like they do, its never going to be easy with our defence.

Against SU and looking at the team (didn't watch the game) in some ways MU set up like i think we should when we need to be tighter. They have a solid block of four which allows the front four to do their stuff up the field with Bassaka & shaw getting forward when they can. Don't know owt about the lad Tellas never heard of him.

And as already mentioned they have Maguire who's mere presence in the box causes all sorts of panic. (much like Pontus used to do for us when he was at his best) Whoever is defending him, i suggest either Coops or Phillips, will have their hands full anytime they get a set-piece. The focus of him will inevitable pull other players away from marking their men.

To have a chance we will need another good afternoon in front of goal. Bielsa only knows one form of defence, its attack. I think Ollie will want to show they can go toe to toe. I'm no Einstein but that's surly a simple equation for goals and plenty of them. I'm already predicting first slot on MOTD2. :o