Leeds Utd v Man City - MATCH THREAD

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Manchester City Match Thread

Post by Smudge3920 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:02 pm Meslier - Aying, Koch, Cooper, Dallas - Phillips, Klich - Alioski, Rodrigo, Costa - Bamford
The more I think about this game mate, the more I cannot stop thinking that Costa and Rodrigo are going to be a little bit special in this game, and scare the hell out of Pep...
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:06 pm The more I think about this game mate, the more I cannot stop thinking that Costa and Rodrigo are going to be a little bit special in this game, and scare the hell out of Pep...
Before Bielsa's press conference, my expectation was that we'd throw the kitchen sink at them. They're damaged, vulnerable at the back and injuries up front. We did it against Liverpool, why wouldnt't we attack against City? I think we'll be forced into playing Rodrigo (Pablo injured, Roberts not performing, Cuisance not here yet) and that forces us into an attacking line up. Even though Bielsa said he didn't expect us to be as creative, it's probably a smokescreen. Maybe he's talking about a more disciplined role for Dallas. I think we'll play to our strength and attack.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:22 pm Maybe he's talking about a more disciplined role for Dallas.
That's how I interpreted it mate... so your smokescreen analogy works for me ...
Metro1962
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Metro1962 »

I see a Leeds winning 2 or 3-1.

I think City have a broken wheel and needs repairing AFTER this game.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Hope it is just me who feels this way, but given the Lean Cuisine deal falling through, I'm not feeling so optimistic. I'm expecting us to get a bit humbled by City on Saturday, whom absolutely will be gunning for a victory

I'm usually an optimistic guy, so not liking this feeling. I need to remember that before the season I had this game as a free-hit, but after our great start, I want at least a share of the points. Hoping Rodrigo starts at AMF/10 because with Harrison missing and a re-jig of other positions, we're going to need that creativity and ball-retention skills that Rodders brings over Tyler.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:13 pm Hope it is just me who feels this way, but given the Lean Cuisine deal falling through, I'm not feeling so optimistic. I'm expecting us to get a bit humbled by City on Saturday, whom absolutely will be gunning for a victory

I'm usually an optimistic guy, so not liking this feeling. I need to remember that before the season I had this game as a free-hit, but after our great start, I want at least a share of the points. Hoping Rodrigo starts at AMF/10 because with Harrison missing and a re-jig of other positions, we're going to need that creativity and ball-retention skills that Rodders brings over Tyler.
Lean Cuisine...heh heh... :roflmao:

But seriously mate. Nothing's changed. City are still the second-best team in the league with superstar Centurions, and we are and always were the newly-promoted underdogs. Let's just remember and take heart in that we've got the players and manager who actually make us believe that anything's possible, no matter how improbable.

These days won't last forever, so make the most of every second.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:38 pm Lean Cuisine...heh heh... :roflmao:

But seriously mate. Nothing's changed. City are still the second-best team in the league with superstar Centurions, and we are and always were the newly-promoted underdogs. Let's just remember and take heart in that we've got the players and manager who actually make us believe that anything's possible, no matter how improbable.

These days won't last forever, so make the most of every second.
Yeah, not sure why I'm so beaten up by the deal falling through, guess I just see that attacking midfield position the difference between us consolidating a mid-table place, and pushing for a Europa League position. A long way to go, and if anyone can make the most out of our existing squad, it's Bielsa. Who knows? Rodrigo may be a revelation tomorrow in that #10 position and tear ManCity a new one. :-D
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:13 pm Hope it is just me who feels this way, but given the Lean Cuisine deal falling through, I'm not feeling so optimistic. I'm expecting us to get a bit humbled by City on Saturday, whom absolutely will be gunning for a victory

Cuisine would not have played anyway ...
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:19 pm Cuisine would not have played anyway ...
Yep, I know. Was just a complete sense of being a bit peeved with the whole thing and hoping we have some creativity generally for Saturday and moving forward. I'm over it now. Leeds to win 3-2 :)
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Come on the boys. Its another free hit. Its like the bums vrs Harlem Globe Trotters scenario. I heard someone suggest that Pip as spent over £400m just on his failing defence. Even Citeh fans are becoming bored of Pep and their "never ending spending".

Where is the CL Trophy? (forget winning the league cup every year, that's the holy grail now for Citeh) after losing to Lyon last season i think their best chance as gone. Pep's not had a great record in the CL since leaving Barca, and the reason is... To quote the phrase that some people labelled at Bielsa after his first season..No effective plan B.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

A free hit tomorrow, getting spanked off them wouldn't be a disgrace and won't derail our season. As such, I think it will be an open, entertaining game with goals. Hopefully more for us than them, of course, but a draw would be a great result. Totally calm for this one, it has to have been marked off on the fixture list as a game we don't expect to get anything from, so the players can go out, play their own game and see how they measure up against one of the top teams in the division.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54392207

Pep practically exploding with praise for his mentor.

Bielsa distancing himself from it.

Wont take any credit for anything or anyone will MB.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

It seems strange to me that Harrison is still a Citeh player, he’s been at Leeds for 2 and bit seasons now and it feels like he’s almost part of the furniture here, I also don’t think he’s ever played in the Citeh 1st team. Shame he can’t play tomorrow as he’s started the season so well but it is what it is, well have to manage without him.

I’ve gone for a draw for this one which is more of a heart prediction than a head one. There again, as others have said, it’s a free hit with no pressure whatsoever on us, so if we play as well as we are capable of doing I think we can match them.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

I think Harrison was a case of kicking the can down the road. I believe we still have the option to buy, but this year after already signing Costa, Leeds sensibly decided to use the rest of the recruitment budget on new players. If the team stay up, then next year they can formally sign Harrison with another year of PL money to work with. If, god help us, they go down then it's one less PL-sized contract to worry about.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 pm It seems strange to me that Harrison is still a Citeh player, he’s been at Leeds for 2 and bit seasons now and it feels like he’s almost part of the furniture here,
It seems like they were just putting off spending the money for another year so we could spend it elsewhere this season
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:49 pm It seems like they were just putting off spending the money for another year so we could spend it elsewhere this season
Great minds. Beat you by 2 minutes though :P
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

onemoreslogan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:53 pm Great minds. Beat you by 2 minutes though :P
I'm a slow typist - I think it was a smart move by Leeds. We have the player but just spend the money next year rather than this year.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:00 pm I'm a slow typist - I think it was a smart move by Leeds. We have the player but just spend the money next year rather than this year.
Agree. When the loan was announced my reaction was "Wait, what?! Why? Ahh..."
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

onemoreslogan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:30 pm Agree. When the loan was announced my reaction was "Wait, what?! Why? Ahh..."
It makes me wonder if there's some Financial Fair Play benefit - on either side to - to making the transfer next year rather than this year
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:32 pm It makes me wonder if there's some Financial Fair Play benefit - on either side to - to making the transfer next year rather than this year
Yeah, while clearly good for Leeds, the thing I wondered was what's in it for City.