Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Patrick Bamford - Injury rumour!

Post by SG90 »

billysboots wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:03 am It’s the old “only sign players better than what we have” coming back to haunt us.
Yep, it's extremely difficult to find better players than Roberts and Forshaw.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:28 am And what about the money from tv, sponsors, commercial, tickets, memberships etc? We've brought in far more than we've spent.
And what about player wages? Let's take a £60k per week wage, some of our players will be on more than that (such as Rodrigo on £100k) and some will be on less. That one wage is equivalent to over £3m per year. Okay not everyone is on that but a fair few will. The other players won't be on tuppence hapenny a week either. Then all the youth players - they won't be on fortunes but it will still add up. So I would estimate player wages to be £70m+

You then have the costs associated with playing a match, policing, security/stewards, staff and no doubt countless more. Upkeep of the pitch and we saw how much it cost to get that pitch from Spurs and we then had to redo loads to the pitch in the summer. Upkeep of the stadium. Rent for Thorp Arch, wages for managers, coaches, physios, scouts etc. Travel costs for away matches and the list goes on and on. And last year there was no revenue from matchdays.

We spent considerably more than lots of teams in the premierleague both last year and this. You can't just keep spending. The only argument is to whether the money was spent wisely rather than whether more should be spent.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

velo wrote: I'm expecting more to leave during the summer , than we gain, in other words, our best players will go to the highest bidders and we will buy cheap again....does the club actually want to be a PL team ?
I think we'll be in a very similar position this time next year if not worse. Too many are approaching the downward spiral in their careers and our best players will leave in the summer. I don't trust Orta to bring in the required quality to maintain PL status and JM is on a very steep learning curve at this level.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

weasel wrote: And what about player wages? Let's take a £60k per week wage, some of our players will be on more than that (such as Rodrigo on £100k) and some will be on less. That one wage is equivalent to over £3m per year. Okay not everyone is on that but a fair few will. The other players won't be on tuppence hapenny a week either. Then all the youth players - they won't be on fortunes but it will still add up. So I would estimate player wages to be £70m+

You then have the costs associated with playing a match, policing, security/stewards, staff and no doubt countless more. Upkeep of the pitch and we saw how much it cost to get that pitch from Spurs and we then had to redo loads to the pitch in the summer. Upkeep of the stadium. Rent for Thorp Arch, wages for managers, coaches, physios, scouts etc. Travel costs for away matches and the list goes on and on. And last year there was no revenue from matchdays.

We spent considerably more than lots of teams in the premierleague both last year and this. You can't just keep spending. The only argument is to whether the money was spent wisely rather than whether more should be spent.
The last sentence sums it up. ...not good enough.

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:50 am And what about player wages? Let's take a £60k per week wage, some of our players will be on more than that (such as Rodrigo on £100k) and some will be on less. That one wage is equivalent to over £3m per year. Okay not everyone is on that but a fair few will. The other players won't be on tuppence hapenny a week either. Then all the youth players - they won't be on fortunes but it will still add up. So I would estimate player wages to be £70m+

Wages won't be that much. The majority are still on Championship salaries, including KP.

Phil Hay said we're sitting on £60m for next year already, so we definitely do have the funds. The club have tried to wing it on the cheap.
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:00 pm I think we'll be in a very similar position this time next year if not worse. Too many are approaching the downward spiral in their careers and our best players will leave in the summer. I don't trust Orta to bring in the required quality to maintain PL status and JM is on a very steep learning curve at this level.

Unfortunately mate , I agree, I'm expecting little to no investment in the summer, maybe a whole sale clearout of our top players, I also doubt very much that The 49'ers will invest.
Mb took these guys as far as he could, and perhaps more !
But he had run his race and it was right for him to leave...IMHO
I'm going off topic..but I think we have reached as high as can with the present owners..just my twopenneth
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:50 am And what about player wages? Let's take a £60k per week wage, some of our players will be on more than that (such as Rodrigo on £100k) and some will be on less. That one wage is equivalent to over £3m per year. Okay not everyone is on that but a fair few will. The other players won't be on tuppence hapenny a week either. Then all the youth players - they won't be on fortunes but it will still add up. So I would estimate player wages to be £70m+

Last two years 5th biggest net spenders, a necessity as we've been away for 16 years putting us behind almost every, if not all, other premier clubs in terms of evolution and stability. We're maybe 5 years behind an Aston Villa. I bet if we listed all the premier league clubs by monies earnt in the last 10 years we'd be bottom, definitely well behind the likes of Norwich.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yet we're still only 7 points out of 10th ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We spent money we just spent it very poorly (a running theme under Orta).

The club also have the £20million JKA thing hanging over them.

Worth remembering Orta said just the other day that we can only buy 1 or 2 established players and the rest are youth players.

Banging on about the small squad, clearly showing the club have learned nothing and Orta is deluded.

Honestly the best thing that could happen this summer is a new DOF.

Honestly for Orta to say this after the season we have had is ludicrous.

We will be relegated next year if they follow through with this.

A massive overhaul is needed just as it was last season, not one or two ffs :(

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... gy-3628525
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Cjay wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:55 pm We spent money we just spent it very poorly (a running theme under Orta).

The club also have the £20million JKA thing hanging over them.

Worth remembering Orta said just the other day that we can only buy 1 or 2 established players and the rest are youth players.

Banging on about the small squad, clearly showing the club have learned nothing and Orta is deluded.

Honestly the best thing that could happen this summer is a new DOF.

Honestly for Orta to say this after the season we have had is ludicrous.

We will be relegated next year if they follow through with this.

A massive overhaul is needed just as it was last season, not one or two ffs :(

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... gy-3628525
Spot on....sadly
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

SG90 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:28 am And what about the money from tv, sponsors, commercial, tickets, memberships etc? We've brought in far more than we've spent.
When you take into account the transfer fees we've paid since our promotion along with the player/staff wages, I'm not too sure about that SG.

Leeds have sold just 2 players in 2 years, and they both went for nominal fees ( Oliver Casey and Rafa Mujica )

This isn't like playing Football Manager with an unlimited bank balance mod switched on, the money has to come from somewhere.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:31 pm Last two years 5th biggest net spenders, a necessity as we've been away for 16 years putting us behind almost every, if not all, other premier clubs in terms of evolution and stability. We're maybe 5 years behind an Aston Villa. I bet if we listed all the premier league clubs by monies earnt in the last 10 years we'd be bottom, definitely well behind the likes of Norwich.
Only Brentford have received less TV money than us.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Rook wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:13 pm When you take into account the transfer fees we've paid since our promotion along with the player/staff wages, I'm not too sure about that SG.

Leeds have sold just 2 players in 2 years, and they both went for nominal fees ( Oliver Casey and Rafa Mujica )

This isn't like playing Football Manager with an unlimited bank balance mod switched on, the money has to come from somewhere.
We haven't even released last year's accounts, so we don't know yet the financial position. But we received £130m last season just for TV, so when we add commercial, sponsor etc it will be a lot more.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:20 pm Only Brentford have received less TV money than us.
Yep, makes my point.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

SG90 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 pm We haven't even released last year's accounts, so we don't know yet the financial position. But we received £130m last season just for TV, so when we add commercial, sponsor etc it will be a lot more.

I think ( not 100% certain ) that clubs are allowed to post losses of £105M over a three season block, if you go a penny over that the points deductions and stuff kicks in.

Like you say, we haven't seen the accounts yet. Do you know when we will?
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

Doubtful.
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

Rook wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:13 pm When you take into account the transfer fees we've paid since our promotion along with the player/staff wages, I'm not too sure about that SG.

Agreed, we have had infrastructure costs as well.
Huge bonuses for promotion and finishing so high last season.
Pay rises for the promoted players.
Bielsas £6M a year which mirrors what we get from our shirt sponsor.

And all this carrying a £62m loss for the promotion season.
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

William wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:14 pm And all this carrying a £62m loss for the promotion season.
The large majority of that was one off promotion related payments. I think Costa, Koch and Meslier were included in 19/20 accounts too, rather than 20/21.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

velo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:27 pm Unfortunately mate , I agree, I'm expecting little to no investment in the summer, maybe a whole sale clearout of our top players, I also doubt very much that The 49'ers will invest.
Mb took these guys as far as he could, and perhaps more !
But he had run his race and it was right for him to leave...IMHO
I'm going off topic..but I think we have reached as high as can with the present owners..just my twopenneth
I think MB turned some very average to poor players into half decent players , probably made some of Ortas signings look better than they were all , especially if other coaches had those players ( look at Klich under Christensen) . On the whole Orta has wasted millions season after season on dross . Bielsa made a few look better and hence Ortas record look better. Sooner he is gone the better imo.....said before , the club is going nowhere with Orta , unless it's down again . And lo and behold , even still he is looking at the same strategy that has failed miserably this season .
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

SG90 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:02 pm The large majority of that was one off promotion related payments. I think Costa, Koch and Meslier were included in 19/20 accounts too, rather than 20/21.
But it still has to be paid, the fact is that we went into the Prem with a debt that needed serviced to the point we were borrowing against future TV payments.

Also JKA fiasco will need to be paid for soon, because it will be a long season whatever league we are in if we arent allowed to register anyone.
Marsch OUT