Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
mentalcase
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2509
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by mentalcase »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:24 am Of course they're going a great job, the fact that you - and many football fans - talk about them in terms of doing a great job rather than in terms of their human rights abuses shows how well they are doing.

If a Saudi employer offered to triple my wages as part of a sportswashing project (and that is what City do, it's not a business in any normal sense) I'd have to say no. I have a mother, a wife, daughters, sisters. I value looking them in the eye more than money. Would you take the cash?
I would fella, I too have family, and they come first, if I was offered more money to make our lives better, too damn reet I would, please don't get sports and politics or religion get mixed up, it aint worth it.
A one man crusade will prove nothing.
Keep Fighting
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Mountain »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:32 am please don't get sports and politics or religion get mixed up,
But that misses the whole point of sportswashing.

It exists because people want to mix sport and politics. That's why those who carpet bomb and starve children do it. You cannot look at it and say "sports and politics don't mix". It has happened. It's done. Not objecting is to say you're comfortable with the mix.
User avatar
mentalcase
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2509
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by mentalcase »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:48 am But that misses the whole point of sportswashing.

It exists because people want to mix sport and politics. That's why those who carpet bomb and starve children do it. You cannot look at it and say "sports and politics don't mix". It has happened. It's done. Not objecting is to say you're comfortable with the mix.
I get what tha's saying, but, it's well above my station, you nor I as individuals can change it, even if there were 30,000 demonstrating at newcastle, the deal would still go ahead, would I want a billionaire owner at Leeds, of course, I assume you would only if they were fully above board, lets not forget , these takeovers have passed the EPL regs.
Keep Fighting
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17866
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Cjay »

If its true KP only wanted City then how is that different to Kewell only wanting Liverpool? :duno:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
billysboots
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 7:29 am
Location: N.Ireland

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by billysboots »

I suppose if another club offered twice as much City would have to pay more?
There Is Only One United.
User avatar
billysboots
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 7:29 am
Location: N.Ireland

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by billysboots »

would love to know how you would respond if a Saudi company, bought the biggest competitor to wherever you currently work and offered you triple the pay you're currently on and unbelievable career prospects - would you say no out of morality for working for a Saudi company? I'm not sure many of us would say no...
[/quote]

By the way, I would take the money and move jobs.
There Is Only One United.
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:38 pm
If its true KP only wanted City then how is that different to Kewell only wanting Liverpool? :duno:
It's such a crock of absolute s**t.

Out of loyalty to Leeds he's quitting the club and heading to the club he wants to go to. The loyalty claim makes no sense. In fact, if he hawked himself around he may have at least sparked a bidding war.
danhirons
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3030
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by danhirons »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:24 am Of course they're going a great job, the fact that you - and many football fans - talk about them in terms of doing a great job rather than in terms of their human rights abuses shows how well they are doing.

If a Saudi employer offered to triple my wages as part of a sportswashing project (and that is what City do, it's not a business in any normal sense) I'd have to say no. I have a mother, a wife, daughters, sisters. I value looking them in the eye more than money. Would you take the cash?
I would take the cash - have in the past discussed moving to Saudi to work too :roflmao: respect the morals though - if you would in fact do that if the actual situation happened

I get the point in not supporting it but it gets to the point where you would end up not being able to do anything...

put gas in your car or turn on the heat in your house - perhaps from Russia, Saudi, Qatar
use/buy anything - probably from China and they are absolute f@ckers to the Uyghurs and helping to prop up Putin

etc. etc. etc.

It's a difficult situation - personally I don't blame KP for going there, after all as a footballer I feel they will want to (and probably should) focus on football as their primary concern rather than getting involved in anything political etc.
Leeds1000
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Leeds1000 »

Mountain wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:51 pm He's now taking money to help a murderous regime repair their image?

There is nothing good about being part of the Man City project. And it cannot be excused because this club went on tour in that country which sells arms to the other. In the case of Man City and Newcastle, the people paying the wages have blood on their hands, there's a direct link. Their players, managers, the fans who go out and say there's nothing to see...all part of it. And that's exactly why the owners throw billions at it.
When Mr Woke himself Gazza Lineker takes an interest i will notify you Mountain. The wider the eyes the darker the world has far as i am concerned. The best hope we have is God and St Peter... i am sure you will be first in Mountain. :angel:
Leeds1000
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Leeds1000 »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:25 pm That's about as close as he's ever gonna get to wearing them on the pitch for us :)

Leeds fan my arse :lol:

If he was a true fan he'd play for us for free ;-)
Its funny you should say that i watched a clip of him has a kid dressed in a Citeh strip. Double standards. :)
User avatar
mentalcase
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2509
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by mentalcase »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:11 pm When Mr Woke himself Gazza Lineker takes an interest i will notify you Mountain. The wider the eyes the darker the world has far as i am concerned. The best hope we have is God and St Peter... i am sure you will be first in Mountain. :angel:
What a w**ker, he's now jumping on the I'm black bandwagon, apparently as a youngster he was called racist names because of his colour !!!!!!
Now, if it had been about his ears , then fair enough, last time i looked he was still a whitey.
Keep Fighting
User avatar
Kennyb41
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2234
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Kennyb41 »

I think Monkey ears is about right.

Is that racist ?

Or just Monkeys offended?
A self-confessed lover of Bigots, Walts, Otters and Dandelions.
Young Kennyboy :roflmao:
Must dash.
8-)
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 9832
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by White Riot »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:13 pm Its funny you should say that i watched a clip of him has a kid dressed in a Citeh strip. Double standards. :)
If you search hard enough you'll probably find him dressed in the kit of every EPL club since he was born ;-)
Madron
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Madron »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:47 pm What a w**ker, he's now jumping on the I'm black bandwagon, apparently as a youngster he was called racist names because of his colour !!!!!!
Now, if it had been about his ears , then fair enough, last time i looked he was still a whitey.
Did he specifically say black ,because ,believe it or not whiteys can also be racially abused for their colour
Prisoner37
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Prisoner37 »

I think the Phillips deal really shows us where we currently stand.
Its the biggest transfer deal Leeds have ever done, yet he has gone to a club to be a second string player.
We cannot use the £45m to buy a direct replacement because someone of that quality/worth will not come to a club that is battling against relegation.
It will take a long, long time using the Leicester model to move up this league, so barring a sovereign wealth fund taking over,, that comes with all its issues, sustainable mid-table is our med/long term goal.
Rover
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed May 25, 2022 9:32 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Rover »

Prisoner37 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:54 pm I think the Phillips deal really shows us where we currently stand.
Its the biggest transfer deal Leeds have ever done, yet he has gone to a club to be a second string player.
We cannot use the £45m to buy a direct replacement because someone of that quality/worth will not come to a club that is battling against relegation.
It will take a long, long time using the Leicester model to move up this league, so barring a sovereign wealth fund taking over,, that comes with all its issues, sustainable mid-table is our med/long term goal.
I can agree with you; re first and last statement about where we stand and mid-table security but we have sold KP too cheaply and probably Raph too. However; we can get better than KP for less if we get Sander Berge; unfortunately, the complete d1ck, Orta, is in charge of recruitment, so we are going for Tyler Adams and Adama Traore as replacements.

Radz has wasted his money on the clown.
Leeds1000
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by Leeds1000 »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:47 pm What a w**ker, he's now jumping on the I'm black bandwagon, apparently as a youngster he was called racist names because of his colour !!!!!!
Now, if it had been about his ears , then fair enough, last time i looked he was still a whitey.
He is a fcuking div. Who in the right mind and to feel relevant... starts bringing stuff up from his school days 50 odd years later. We were all called plenty of names at school in gest, especially if i ever came back off holiday with a suntan. Give it a rest Gary.
User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 108641
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by 1964white »


Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17866
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- Minto/Cascarino/Talksport discuss KP's move

Post by Cjay »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talkspor ... -rice/amp/

Interesting insight from the best female Commentator in the world Lucy Ward.

She's as disappointed as we all are about the price.

But she said she heard whispers weeks ago that it was a done deal.

Given how well she knows Kp (has known him since he was a kid) then no reason to doubt her.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 108641
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- Minto/Cascarino/Talksport discuss KP's move

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:41 am https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talkspor ... -rice/amp/

Interesting insight from the best female Commentator in the world Lucy Ward.

She's as disappointed as we all are about the price.

But she said she heard whispers weeks ago that it was a done deal.

Given how well she knows Kp (has known him since he was a kid) then no reason to doubt her.
Much sense spoken in those interviews, Cjay :tup:
Post Reply