Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 am Memories of that Revie team will live with me until the end of my life, Heidi.

We'll never see the likes of that glorious era again :(

I suppose we can count ourselves lucky to witness such greatness.
That’s the sad thing
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:22 am Hi Heidi, welcome to MOT!
Thank you
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

faaip wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:42 pm It really isn't... I rate Firpo as an attacking full back, Llorente as an on ball right sided centre defender and I like Roberts as a player and human being, he gets way to much disrespect by 90% of Leeds fans...
If that’s your opinion then fine. Everyone is entitled to their own whether others agree with them or not. I’ll be honest with my own views but try not to slag them off.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Welcome to the forum Heidi, your reputation as an arch and steadfast Leeds fan precedes you, I believe.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Hi Guys,

Joined the forum this evening, recognise a few names on here from a forum I previously frequented.

Current season ticket holder, haven’t missed a home game for going on 13 years or so (causing many headaches within the family whilst doing so :P). Get to the odd away game when tickets are available (miss those League 1 and Championship ticket allocations).

Cheers

BB
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:00 pm Hi Guys,

Joined the forum this evening, recognise a few names on here from a forum I previously frequented.

Current season ticket holder, haven’t missed a home game for going on 13 years or so (causing many headaches within the family whilst doing so :P). Get to the odd away game when tickets are available (miss those League 1 and Championship ticket allocations).

Cheers

BB
Now then, welcome Barlow Boy.

How's life on Talk? Same here for me, away games are few & far between since our promotion to the PL. Hope you enjoy our forum.

Happy New Year.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:25 pm Now then, welcome Barlow Boy.

How's life on Talk? Same here for me, away games are few & far between since our promotion to the PL. Hope you enjoy our forum.

Happy New Year.
Hi mate,

Unfortunately TALK was sold (not to us Mods) and died a slow death, shame really, some good folk on there. Seems a decent forum you have here, been lurking for a while which seems odd for a person who was a moderator on another site for a few years.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and a happy new year to you too pal
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:30 pm Hi mate,

Unfortunately TALK was sold (not to us Mods) and died a slow death, shame really, some good folk on there. Seems a decent forum you have here, been lurking for a while which seems odd for a person who was a moderator on another site for a few years.

Welcome Barlow!

Sorry to see what's happened to LUFC TALK. Seems odd to buy a site and run it into the ground.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:36 pm Welcome Barlow!

Sorry to see what's happened to LUFC TALK. Seems odd to buy a site and run it into the ground.
Thanks mate.

It’s a really odd one, the Twitter account for TALK is so active it’s ridiculous but footfall on the site is NIL now. I’ve no idea of the monies paid, but as you say seems odd.

Thanks again pal.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:30 pm Hi mate,

That is such a shame,

There were many long term members on TALK, must be so disappointing for all those good people to see their site go downhill in such a manner.

How is Nottingham White? I've forgotten his christian name.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:33 pm That is such a shame,

There were many long term members on TALK, must be so disappointing for all those good people to see their site go downhill in such a manner.

How is Nottingham White? I've forgotten his christian name.
It is mate, as you know I was on there myself from 2012. We set up a new site ourselves, and it’s doing ok to be fair.

Nottingham White is doing well, enjoying his cricket and looking forward to the new cricket season starting :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:02 am It is mate, as you know I was on there myself from 2012. We set up a new site ourselves, and it’s doing ok to be fair.

Nottingham White is doing well, enjoying his cricket and looking forward to the new cricket season starting :tup:
TALK members are quite welcome to join us if they wish to :tup:
footieleedsajax
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @footieajinkya

Match Thread Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by footieleedsajax »

In 2001, I discovered a game called 'championship manager 00/01'. Since I had seen a few random games on TV (during these days I was more of a cricket fan ), I knew few names but couldn't select one. So I randomly selected a team which was Leeds United. There I saw a player whose name forever etched into my memory, as he scored a lot of goals for my team : MARK VIDUKA.

Following Viduka allowed me to follow Leeds, with highs of champions league to the lows of relegation and his ultimate transfer to Middlesbrough. Yet, I was stuck with the lily whites, first out of loyalty.

Playing the team again and again on CM and then FM kept me abreast on the players but Leeds always had a soft corner in my heart. KEWELL, SMITH, BRIDGES, DACOURT, HARTE & RADEBE were the dream team in the game and even GRAYSON, BECKFORD, BECCHIO & co. couldn't replace them.

Now the list can add BIELSA, HERNANDEZ, BAMFORD, AYLING, RAPHINHA, HARRISON, MESLIER, KLICH and more ....

Alas, its 2022 and a proud supporter of Lilywhites! #ALAW

LEED'S Passion has attracted me and the thrill of ups and down that our matches give .. I love them. I can live with our fanbase's toxicity but can't live without heart wrenching moments Leeds comes up with!

Yes, during the 15 year exile, I was following Arsenal (Thierry Henry & Wenger) and Man City (Anelka and post 2009 .. ).

end of the day, I LOVE LEEDS and I am mad about it #MOT
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:21 pm Welcome to the forum Heidi, your reputation as an arch and steadfast Leeds fan precedes you, I believe.
Thank you that's appreciated and apologies for the late response as I missed your post.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

footieleedsajax wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:41 pm In 2001, I discovered a game called 'championship manager 00/01'. Since I had seen a few random games on TV (during these days I was more of a cricket fan ), I knew few names but couldn't select one. So I randomly selected a team which was Leeds United. There I saw a player whose name forever etched into my memory, as he scored a lot of goals for my team : MARK VIDUKA.

Following Viduka allowed me to follow Leeds, with highs of champions league to the lows of relegation and his ultimate transfer to Middlesbrough. Yet, I was stuck with the lily whites, first out of loyalty.

Playing the team again and again on CM and then FM kept me abreast on the players but Leeds always had a soft corner in my heart. KEWELL, SMITH, BRIDGES, DACOURT, HARTE & RADEBE were the dream team in the game and even GRAYSON, BECKFORD, BECCHIO & co. couldn't replace them.

Now the list can add BIELSA, HERNANDEZ, BAMFORD, AYLING, RAPHINHA, HARRISON, MESLIER, KLICH and more ....

Alas, its 2022 and a proud supporter of Lilywhites! #ALAW

LEED'S Passion has attracted me and the thrill of ups and down that our matches give .. I love them. I can live with our fanbase's toxicity but can't live without heart wrenching moments Leeds comes up with!

Yes, during the 15 year exile, I was following Arsenal (Thierry Henry & Wenger) and Man City (Anelka and post 2009 .. ).

end of the day, I LOVE LEEDS and I am mad about it #MOT
That's what happens when you support Leeds, they get you hook, line and sinker. Once a Leeds fan, always a Leeds fan which is the title of my second book.
footieleedsajax
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @footieajinkya

Post by footieleedsajax »

Lufcheidi wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:13 pm That's what happens when you support Leeds, they get you hook, line and sinker. Once a Leeds fan, always a Leeds fan which is the title of my second book.
Haha. yup i am hooked. Looking forward to today's match with Cardiff. Give them hell : D
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

My initial exposure to European Football was as a boy growing up in West Germany (my US Army father was stationed there) and casually observing the Bundesliga. But similar to footieleedsajax, my interest in European Football hit a fever pitch when I discovered Football Manager in college (first the EA version and then I grew into other versions). I subsequently found a like-minded group of EPL fans in college…most of whom were ManU supporters as they were all the rage on ESPN, but one was a Newcastle fan. I didn’t really have a team yet, I just enjoyed the passion and intensity appearing to be a step above the Bundesliga.

In December 2000, some of my fraternity brothers attended the Leeds vs. Lazio Champions League match in Rome. My fraternity brothers were Irish Catholic from Cleveland and so naturally were drawn to O’Leary and some of the gritty Irishmen inhabiting the squad at the time (Ian Harte, Gary Kelly, Stephen McPhail…). When they came back home to the US, we got together for every Leeds CL game on TV as well as a couple of the big games vs. the big 5 that were televised. Loved watching that team. Bowyer was so gritty, Kewell so crafty, and Viduka so clinical. Great team to follow. Since then, I always maintained an interest…even despite the hard times that ensued. I discovered this board mid year last year just before the Bielsa firing as I was trying to figure out more of what was going on (and wrong relative to the prior year).

Now there are some fellow Americans on the team (as well as coaching the team) and that only adds to the intrigue. So decided to join the forum. I realize there is a likely hesitancy/reluctance to accept another American to the forum, but I hope I can add some value and insight to the discussion.

To that end, one item that I think goes unnoticed is that Marsch has one of the top football (soccer) minds on his staff in Rene Maric. He was the top assistant at Dortmund last year under Rose, who I feel was unjustly sacked last year and is now, ironically, doing great things at Leipzig. While a lot of focus is on Marsch, I really think that having Maric on the staff is extremely valuable and we’ll eventually see the benefits of the system being put into place. I would argue that Marsch did not have the quality of assistants at Leipzig that he presently has at Leeds. Which is another angle to consider regarding Marsch’s tenure as manager and something that I think the board is well aware of and is perhaps why they have a bit more patience regarding “the plan.”

Looking forward to some great discussions!

Cheers!
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Welcome, Joe 🙂
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:39 am Welcome, Joe 🙂
Thanks Muppet! Glad to be here!
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Jay - Dizi
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Jay - Dizi »

Greetings everyone!

I'm one of the newer crop of American fans interested in your club so I'll do a quick introduction and explain how I've ended up here :)

Football has been a part of my life from a *very* early age and it's a sport tied to numerous memories and phases of my life. One of my earliest memories was watching 1990 WC on a small TV with my uncles, brothers and father. My parents are Nigerian immigrants and they were particularly excited when US hosted the Cup in '94, giving us a chance to see a few international games in person.

At the time it was nearly impossible for us to view matches live and so it stood out when we travelled to a nearby pub with a satellite feed to see Nigeria play Argentina in the 1996 Olympic gold medal match. Through most of the 90s I was only vaguely aware of some results, clubs and players if they got featured in a small section of the newspaper or were famous enough to have trading cards available.

Those circumstances made me a perfect candidate for local support and I became an early fan of the nearest American team, DC United. More and more games from around the world started being featured sporadically on cable TV and I'd occasionally have a chance to see Bundesliga, Argentine league (forming an attachment to Boca Juniors from afar) and Serie A matches (though I wasn't drawn to any team partly cause I didn't like their National side very much). WC 98 and Euro 2000 also had a huge impact on me, as did a trip to Germany during which I hung out fans of 1860 Munich and eventually chose a German team to follow: BVB since i liked and bought their kit as a souvenir.

Around this time in the early 00s it gradually became easier for stateside fans of football to watch the Premier League every week and see highlights of almost all the games. My familiarity with the French and Dutch national teams and partiality to Wenger's principles led me toward supporting Arsenal but I tried to watch as much as I could, regardless who was playing.

Since then I've continued tracking Dortmund and Arsenal when possible, watching all the World Cups/Euros/African Cup of Nations/Copa America that get televised or streamed online, and attending DC United games with family and friends.

So...how does Leeds fit into all that? I have no simple answer and won't lie that I'm very knowledgeable about the history or intricacies of the club but it has popped up in my periphery while checking English football news & the whereabouts of figures I like. The rebrand attempt, Mike Grella and Jack Harrison's arrival, along with Bielsa's hiring and endearing qualities all piqued my interest. Once Jesse Marsch was hired I began watching all your games out of curiosity to see whether he'd keep you up. Adding Aaronson and Adams extended my interest a bit more but really McKennie's signing sealed the deal. He's one of my favourite players to watch and I expect Wes to succeed with LUFC even if Marsch gets sacked...so I'll still probably support the club and genuinely wish them well regardless of the manager at the helm.

With that in mind I've decided to at least lurk here and chime in a bit when I think I have an opinion worth sharing. Seems like a welcoming place but I'll try not to ruffle too many feathers and learn from you all :) Peace!